Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

THE BOWERY BOYS on DVD: continuing discussion of Warner's eventual release plans (NEW UPDATE 10/2 Post #801)

Warner

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1553 replies to this topic

#1541 of 1554 OFFLINE   Mr. Handley

Mr. Handley

Second Unit

• 354 posts

Posted April 12 2015 - 01:38 PM

Just watched News Hounds earlier today.  This one was pretty fast-paced with some great one-liners by Satch.  Definitely a step up from the last few I've watched.  Here's my current "standings":

1. Bowery Bombsell

2. In Fast Company

3. Live Wires

4. News Hounds

5. Spook Busters

6. Hard Boiled Mahoney

7. Mr. Hex

#1542 of 1554 OFFLINE   Mr. Handley

Mr. Handley

Second Unit

• 354 posts

Posted April 20 2015 - 03:29 AM

Just watched Bowery Buckaroos last night.  I really enjoyed this one.  The change of scenery really pumped some fresh air into the proceedings.  Not a laugh riot by any means, but an enjoyable hour that didn't drag like some of the previous films.

Here's my current rankings:

1. Bowery Bombsell

2. In Fast Company

3. Live Wires

4. Bowery Buckaroos

5. News Hounds

6. Spook Busters

7. Hard Boiled Mahoney

8. Mr. Hex

#1543 of 1554 OFFLINE   Mr. Handley

Mr. Handley

Second Unit

• 354 posts

Posted May 18 2015 - 02:51 AM

Watched Angels' Alley last night.  Oh boy, where to start?  First, too much melodrama and not enough yuks.  I love a good drama as much as anybody, but this was just too corny.  Secondly, no Louie.  Come on now, youse can't have a BB movie and no Louie!  Thirdly, Gabe's character was pretty useless this time (and that's saying something).  The good parts included Satch's reliable shenanigans and the print quality was outstanding.

Here's my current "standings" (best-to-worst):

1. Bowery Bombshell

2. In Fast Company

3. Live Wires

4. Bowery Buckaroos

5. News Hounds

6. Spook Busters

7. Hard Boiled Mahoney

8. Mr. Hex

9. Angels' Alley

#1544 of 1554 ONLINE   Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley

Screenwriter

• 1,079 posts
  • LocationNorth Bay, ON; Canada

Posted June 11 2015 - 12:24 PM

Solely in the spirit of a bit of fun speculation, I would love to read some feedback in regards to any likelihood these marvelous Bowery Boys Sets might someday get the Boxed Set treatment?

CHEERS! :)

Tony

#1545 of 1554 OFFLINE   LouA

LouA

Supporting Actor

• 806 posts
  • LocationNew jersey

Posted June 11 2015 - 05:27 PM

Hi Tony ,

Do you mean WBA re- releasing the existing sets in a box - that's possible . If you mean a brand new ultra -deluxe  box set with a lot of bells and whistles like the recent Batman TV box sets  , I'm not so sure. Still a deluxe BB Blu-ray box set with a nice book would be awesome .

Lou

#1546 of 1554 ONLINE   Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley

Screenwriter

• 1,079 posts

Posted June 11 2015 - 06:06 PM

Hi Tony ,

Do you mean WBA re- releasing the existing sets in a box - that's possible . If you mean a brand new ultra -deluxe  box set with a lot of bells and whistles like the recent Batman TV box sets  , I'm not so sure. Still a deluxe BB Blu-ray box set with a nice book would be awesome .

Lou

Hi Lou!

Just the existing sets in a box, though a proper Widescreen Version of PRIVATE EYES would be nice, also!

Tony

#1547 of 1554 OFFLINE   Mr. Handley

Mr. Handley

Second Unit

• 354 posts

Posted June 14 2015 - 04:48 AM

Tony, seeing how long it took to get all the films released, I highly doubt that we'll ever see a "big box set" release.  I'm perfectly happy with what we've got now anyway.

Just watched Jinx Money last night...after the dreadful Angels' Alley this is more like it!  Lots of laughs and the much-needed return of a super-flustered Louie make this one a lot of fun.  Great supporting cast too, headed by the always reliable Sheldon Leonard.

Here's my current rankings (best-to-worst) after viewing the first 10 films for the very first time:

1. Bowery Bombshell

2. In Fast Company

3. Live Wires

4. Jinx Money

5. Bowery Buckaroos

6. News Hounds

7. Spook Busters

8. Hard Boiled Mahoney

9. Mr. Hex

10. Angels' Alley

#1548 of 1554 OFFLINE   howard1908

howard1908

Stunt Coordinator

• 63 posts

Posted June 26 2015 - 10:52 AM

The non pd titles could be the ones that they do have rights to. They didn't indicate how many they have, just implied it wasn't many. So maybe we'll get a small set of those films sometime.

Warner only holds the rights to 5 east side kids the other 17 are public domain.

#1549 of 1554 OFFLINE   LouA

LouA

Supporting Actor

• 806 posts
  • LocationNew jersey

Posted June 27 2015 - 10:31 AM

Warner only holds the rights to 5 east side kids the other 17 are public domain.

And , if you've been following the Ozzie and Harriet thread on HTF, you know how difficult it is to regain copyrights once they are lost .

#1550 of 1554 OFFLINE   Mr. Handley

Mr. Handley

Second Unit

• 354 posts

Posted July 11 2015 - 04:22 AM

Just watched Smugglers' Cove last night.  Another underwhelming entry.  I figured I was in trouble when I didn't see Bernard Gorcey in the cast list...no Louie = less laughs.  Although, I must say, that the quips were flying faster than usual, it didn't quite make up for the paper-thin plot.  I'm rating this one towards the middle of what I've seen so far:

1. Bowery Bombshell

2. In Fast Company

3. Live Wires

4. Jinx Money

5. Bowery Buckaroos

6. News Hounds

7. Smugglers' Cove

8. Spook Busters

9. Hard Boiled Mahoney

10. Mr. Hex

11. Angels' Alley

#1551 of 1554 OFFLINE   Everett Stallings

Everett Stallings

Second Unit

• 436 posts
  • LocationWilmington,De

Posted July 11 2015 - 06:36 AM

Hi Allen!

That would indeed, be most tragic if this is the fate that has befallen the one time enormously popular Cinematic BLONDIE Series!

It is my hope that Columbia might also have near pristine 35mm negatives of the entire series of 28 BLONDIE Features in their vaults, as was the case with all 190 Three Stooges Shorts!

For what it's worth, I've started the following BLONDIE Topic Thread:  http://www.hometheat...s/#entry4172775

CHEERS!   :)

Tony

That is why Blondie has not been seen since the 60's. Must be in bad shape. Sad!

Former projectionist @ all downtown theatres in Balto. City.Which are all closed. frown.gif

#1552 of 1554 ONLINE   Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley

Screenwriter

• 1,079 posts

Posted July 13 2015 - 01:35 PM

Tony Bensley, on 23 Nov 2014 - 4:26 PM, said:snapback.png

Hi Allen!

That would indeed, be most tragic if this is the fate that has befallen the one time enormously popular Cinematic BLONDIE Series!

It is my hope that Columbia might also have near pristine 35mm negatives of the entire series of 28 BLONDIE Features in their vaults, as was the case with all 190 Three Stooges Shorts!

For what it's worth, I've started the following BLONDIE Topic Thread:  http://www.hometheat...s/#entry4172775

CHEERS!    :)

Tony

That is why Blondie has not been seen since the 60's. Must be in bad shape. Sad!

Hi Everett!

Actually, if you read through the Blondie Topic Thread, it was posted that AMC broadcast quality versions of all 28 BLONDIE Features in the mid 1990's. Unfortunately, only some of the edited TV Print versions have ever made it to Home Video, and even these average 5 hours (With 4 hours being the recommended limit for Dual Layer DVDs!) of content per DVD, causing artifacting!

I'd love to see a proper issuing of the entire series someday, but that is for the Blondie Topic Thread!

Tony

#1553 of 1554 OFFLINE   LouA

LouA

Supporting Actor

• 806 posts
  • LocationNew jersey

Posted July 14 2015 - 12:05 PM

Tony Bensley, on 23 Nov 2014 - 4:26 PM, said:snapback.png

Hi Everett!

Actually, if you read through the Blondie Topic Thread, it was posted that AMC broadcast quality versions of all 28 BLONDIE Features in the mid 1990's. Unfortunately, only some of the edited TV Print versions have ever made it to Home Video, and even these average 5 hours (With 4 hours being the recommended limit for Dual Layer DVDs!) of content per DVD, causing artifacting!

I'd love to see a proper issuing of the entire series someday, but that is for the Blondie Topic Thread!

Tony

Not only was Blondie on AMC, but there were two separate releases of the films on VHS which actally looked pretty good ,but had re-issue titles. If someone were to release the Blondie series on legit DBD's , I'd buy them even with re-issue titles.

Getting back to the Bowery Boys , I've been watching the 12 movie Dead End Kids / Echo Bridge release, and like Alpha the prints are pretty dismal. It's a shame we have to settle for such awful quality on these classic films. But does anyone hold out hope for a better release for this material?

#1554 of 1554 OFFLINE   Mr. Handley

Mr. Handley

Second Unit

• 354 posts

Posted July 20 2015 - 05:03 AM

Just watched Trouble Makers last night and really enjoyed it!  This is the one that has Slip & Satch posing as bellboys to help Gabe (a policeman this time!) solve a murder they witnessed.  Lionel Stander has a great supporting role and the quips fly fast and furious.  I'm ranking this one near the top of what I've seen so far.

My current rankings:

1. Bowery Bombshell

2. In Fast Company

3. Trouble Makers

4. Live Wires

5. Jinx Money

6. Bowery Buckaroos

7. News Hounds

8. Smugglers' Cove

9. Spook Busters

10. Hard Boiled Mahoney

11. Mr. Hex