-

Photo

THE BOWERY BOYS on DVD: continuing discussion of Warner's eventual release plans (NEW UPDATE 10/2 Post #801)

Warner

• Please log in to reply
1483 replies to this topic

#1241 of 1484 OFFLINE   LouA

LouA

Second Unit

• 484 posts
  • LocationNew jersey

Posted June 06 2014 - 09:19 AM

WBA just ran an ad for the Bowery Boys in the latest issue of Filmfax just out . They show Vols 1, 2, 3, no mention of the final volume. I'm wondering what the status of Vol 4 is at this point since this issue of Filmfax will be on the stands for a while and they easily could have shown Vol. 4 as "coming soon".

#1242 of 1484 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,416 posts

Posted June 06 2014 - 09:35 AM

POPULAR

They just answered another question about volume 4 recently on FB. Their answer was it is still being worked on. Most likely due to a couple of problem titles on this volume: Mr. Hex and Spy Chasers. They can turn a title around quick once it is finished since they are distributing them.  This will be available for pre-order two-three weeks ahead of release so we can definitely say July at the earliest at this point but I think it is safe to assume it will be out before the end of the year. At least we know they are not rushing it and all the titles should be up to par with the previous volumes.

• Brian McP, LouA and Tony Bensley like this
...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#1243 of 1484 OFFLINE   Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley

Second Unit

• 347 posts
  • LocationNorth Bay, ON; Canada

Posted June 07 2014 - 06:57 AM

Thank you very much for your most helpful post, Randy!  We'll just have to sit tight awhile longer, but the wait will be well worth it!

I'm looking forward to viewing these chronologically once Volume 4 can finally be issued, especially the aforementioned MR. HEX and SPY CHASERS!

CHEERS!

Tony

• Randy Korstick and LouA like this

#1244 of 1484 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,416 posts

Posted July 09 2014 - 07:24 AM

Even though the wait for Volume 4 has been longer than we expected it looks like there is some light at the end of the tunnel. WA just replied to another question about when is Vol. 4 coming out. Here is their response:

We are still working on the new masters, but the end result will soon surface. We hope that patient fans will agree the end result of our efforts will have been worth the wait...and we thanks.

• Tony Bensley likes this
...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#1245 of 1484 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 9,895 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted July 09 2014 - 08:07 AM

I doubt I'll get the last volume at this point. I was buying these to watch with my dad, and well, let's just say they took too long to come out...

#1246 of 1484 OFFLINE   Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley

Second Unit

• 347 posts

Posted July 09 2014 - 12:16 PM

I doubt I'll get the last volume at this point. I was buying these to watch with my dad, and well, let's just say they took too long to come out...

I'm so sorry to hear that, Russell!  Please know that you have my sympathy and condolences.  I hope that your Dad was at least able to enjoy the first three Bowery Boys Volumes.

Kind Regards,

Tony

#1247 of 1484 OFFLINE   rmw650

rmw650

Supporting Actor

• 960 posts

Posted July 09 2014 - 04:23 PM

Sympathies go out to you Russell on the loss of your father but hoping he got the chance to enjoy these films with you. Volume 4 should be out before the year's end.

#1248 of 1484 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 9,895 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted July 10 2014 - 11:05 AM

Thanks Tony and Richard. It's not my intent to make the thread sad, but just a bit frustrating with these releases. Dad and I watched these up until the second disc in the third volume, and we enjoyed them immensely. That said, they're pretty hit and miss to me personally since I don't have any nostalgia to help them along ha ha. Not bashing them, Gorcey was a hell of a talent. I'm not completely closing the doors on the set, I'll wait for some feedback. :)

#1249 of 1484 OFFLINE   Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley

Second Unit

• 347 posts

Posted July 10 2014 - 12:17 PM

The long gap since the release of the third volume seems to validate the point that certain Bowery Boys Titles were, indeed quite problematic, and do require more attention in terms of restoration than the ones that are on the first three Bowery Boys Sets!  MR. HEX is by far, the worst of these insofar as its 'In and out of focus' issue, though previous presentations of SPY CHASERS have been just as frustrating in its own way, with the 'out of sequence' problem!

While this long wait has been most excruciating, it should hopefully be well worth it (At least, for most of us.) in the long run!

CHEERS!

• Randy Korstick likes this

#1250 of 1484 OFFLINE   Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley

Second Unit

• 347 posts

Posted July 10 2014 - 12:30 PM

Thanks Tony and Richard. It's not my intent to make the thread sad, but just a bit frustrating with these releases. Dad and I watched these up until the second disc in the third volume, and we enjoyed them immensely. That said, they're pretty hit and miss to me personally since I don't have any nostalgia to help them along ha ha. Not bashing them, Gorcey was a hell of a talent. I'm not completely closing the doors on the set, I'll wait for some feedback. :)

Hi Russell!

In my opinion, being open to feedback is very fair and "magnaminous,"  using a bit of the Leo Gorcey vernacular!

It's just a suggestion, but perhaps as a tribute to your Dad, you could view the final Bowery Boys, Volume 4 Titles when they do finally see light of day?  I think the main question marks will be the two Titles that I mentioned in my previous post, but I'm confident that the time Warner Archive is taking in issuing Volume 4 will produce the very best possible presentations of MR. HEX and SPY CHASERS!  I do plan on posting feedback regarding these two Films in particular as soon as possible after viewing them.

CHEERS!

Tony

#1251 of 1484 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,941 posts

Posted July 10 2014 - 12:38 PM

POPULAR

Let me say this quickly as I don't have much time...

Everybody keeps harping on Warner's inability to get these sets

out in a timely manner.

It's a shame it took as many years as it did, but there were legitimate

reasons for the delay including a changing marketplace for these kind

of releases.

I believe Warner was still reluctant to go ahead and release these titles

knowing the problems with one of the masters.  Yet, once they got the ball

rolling, they got these sets out pretty fast.

The reason for the delay on the final set is obvious.  It's still the same situation

that had pretty much delayed these sets from day one.  Warner wants these

releases done right and they purposely moved the problem title to the last set

so they could get the others out.

I, too, am sorry that not everyone who wanted to enjoy all these films could.

However, I just want to be careful that Warner does not get unfairly blamed 

for the delays.

• Randy Korstick, DavidJ, Brian McP and 3 others like this

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#1252 of 1484 OFFLINE   LouA

LouA

Second Unit

• 484 posts
  • LocationNew jersey

Posted July 10 2014 - 08:24 PM

I agree.  And don't forget that in addition to the nice transfers used , we've been getting these discs on replicated discs .  Back in late 2012 I was oblivious to the release of Volume 1. My mother was dying from cancer, so I can understand  to an extent how Russell feels .

• ahollis and Tony Bensley like this

#1253 of 1484 OFFLINE   Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley

Second Unit

• 347 posts

Posted July 22 2014 - 10:29 AM

Having viewed MR. HEX on TCM in 2010, I can vouch for that Print's lousy looking appearance, especially regarding its massive In & Out of Focus issue!  Having thoroughly read this Forum's entries (Along with some participation!), while there were no doubt, financially viable concerns in issuing a Bowery Boys Collection, the overriding one had to do with finding the missing Film elements for MR. HEX.  It was only after they were found that Warner began issuing the Bowery Boys Volumes!

I say, big kudos to the Warner Archive for wanting above all else, to present these Films in their best possible light!  As much as I would have preferred a chronological release, it just wasn't possible given the circumstances!

CHEERS!

Tony

• Randy Korstick and Jack K like this

#1254 of 1484 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,416 posts

Posted July 22 2014 - 10:44 AM

I would have preferred chronological too but just getting them all released is the biggest part. Once we get the 4th volume it just requires a little extra work searching for the next title to watch them chronological. 

"Let me see my next film is Bowery Battalion now where is that one, volume 2? no, oh here it is on Volume 4". :)

• ahollis and Tony Bensley like this

Top 20 Films

#1255 of 1484 OFFLINE   LouA

LouA

Second Unit

• 484 posts
  • LocationNew jersey

Posted July 23 2014 - 05:49 PM

WB Archive could help out a little there by including a booklet with Vol.4 listing the films in chronological order and showing the  box set volume and disc where you can  find them. It 'd be nice to have some trailers and a documentary on Vol.4 too, but maybe I'm asking for way too much. Truthfully, I'm just happy that they're out on DVD!

#1256 of 1484 OFFLINE   Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley

Second Unit

• 347 posts

Posted July 23 2014 - 10:28 PM

WB Archive could help out a little there by including a booklet with Vol.4 listing the films in chronological order and showing the  box set volume and disc where you can  find them. It 'd be nice to have some trailers and a documentary on Vol.4 too, but maybe I'm asking for way too much. Truthfully, I'm just happy that they're out on DVD!

These are nice ideas, Lou!  However, my concern would be that any extras might boost the cost of the last volume.  As it is, I've averaged $52 - $55 for each of these sets, including the cost of shipping and the CAN/U.S Rate of Exchange, and can't really afford to have to shell out much more than that!  

And yes, considering that only 6 Bowery Boys Titles ever got Official VHS Release, I too, am quite happy that we have 36 Titles, or 3/4 of the 48 Films on DVD!  I only wish that my Brother, who passed away from Cancer in November 2005 and was a huge Bowery Boys Fan, could have lived long enough to view these marvelous DVDs!

Only 12 more to go!

CHEERS!  :)

Tony

• Randy Korstick likes this

#1257 of 1484 OFFLINE   Brian McP

Brian McP

Second Unit

• 381 posts

Posted July 23 2014 - 11:14 PM

Regarding a list of the titles in chronological order, simply go to Wikipedia, copy and paste it into an email or Word document, print it out and put a copy in each of  your Bowery Boys volumes, perhaps taking a highlighter and highlighting each of the movies in that volume to let you know where it appears in the legend of the Bowery Boys.

I can thank Huntz Hall for that inspiration.

And if you are a true completest, get on to Amazon or the WB Archive site and buy a copy of "The Phynx" where the Bowery Boys legend truly ends (not mentioning it here in case there are those who haven't seen the picture already)

#1258 of 1484 OFFLINE   LouA

LouA

Second Unit

• 484 posts
  • LocationNew jersey

Posted July 24 2014 - 07:34 AM

Regarding a list of the titles in chronological order, simply go to Wikipedia, copy and paste it into an email or Word document, print it out and put a copy in each of  your Bowery Boys volumes, perhaps taking a highlighter and highlighting each of the movies in that volume to let you know where it appears in the legend of the Bowery Boys.

I can thank Huntz Hall for that inspiration.

And if you are a true completest, get on to Amazon or the WB Archive site and buy a copy of "The Phynx" where the Bowery Boys legend truly ends (not mentioning it here in case there are those who haven't seen the picture already)

Don't forget " Second Fiddle To A Steele Guitar" where Hall and Gorcey get quite a bit of screen time and come close to reprising their Bowery Boys personas .

• Brian McP likes this

#1259 of 1484 OFFLINE   rmw650

rmw650

Supporting Actor

• 960 posts

Posted July 25 2014 - 01:06 AM

Don't forget " Second Fiddle To A Steele Guitar" where Hall and Gorcey get quite a bit of screen time and come close to reprising their Bowery Boys personas .

And let me say as an owner of the said film above, it's mostly a country music concert that was made in 1965 with Arnold Staag but Gorcey and Hall are featured in the beginning, a little bit throughout the concert here and there but not at the end of the film. The beginning is where they are featured the most. Hall uses the word "peasant" a lot and you might be able to get it still at Amazon or Ebay but it is a hard film to find.

#1260 of 1484 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,416 posts

Posted July 25 2014 - 05:54 AM

That's a nice idea but for many die hard fans like myself I could list them in Chronological order from memory so that wouldn't be a big deal for me. The only minor issue with them not being in Chronological order is just searching through the discs to find the next one instead of just popping the next disc in. But again that is a minor issue, the big thing is finally having them all available and in the best condition they have been seen in since their original releases.

Top 20 Films

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Warner

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Steve...O