Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

THE BOWERY BOYS on DVD: continuing discussion of Warner's eventual release plans (NEW UPDATE 10/2 Post #801)

Warner

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1501 replies to this topic

#1081 of 1502 OFFLINE   Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley

Second Unit

• 406 posts
  • LocationNorth Bay, ON; Canada

Posted May 02 2013 - 06:24 PM

Let us know how you make out. I'm sure there are others still looking for pressed discs of Vol 2.

Thanks, Lou! I'll be sure to do so, once I get my Bowery Boys Volume 2 shipment from Movies Unlimited! As this post is on a new page, I'll state for the benefit of anyone that's looking for the limited pressed DVDs of this volume: U.S. Amazon definitely doesn't have them!

CHEERS!

Edited by Tony Bensley, May 02 2013 - 09:43 PM.

#1082 of 1502 OFFLINE   Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley

Second Unit

• 406 posts

Posted May 03 2013 - 09:43 AM

Just thought I'd make a positive comment regarding Movies Unlimited's Customer Service. It is refreshing to be able to contact a live person who is also very helpful without being put on hold for a dog's age! The few times this Canuck has used their service over the past couple of years, I haven't been disappointed!

Needless to say, Movies Unlimited comes very highly recommended by me! 

CHEERS!

Tony

#1083 of 1502 OFFLINE   Professor Echo

Professor Echo

Screenwriter

• 1,550 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted May 06 2013 - 12:57 PM

It's been reported in another thread that AMAZON duplicates these Warner Archive titles themselves as DVD-Rs and therefore will never have the PRESSED releases for the same title that you can find elsewhere. Just an FYI for anyone considering Amazon for the WA titles that initially come out pressed, as Tony did. .

#1084 of 1502 OFFLINE   Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley

Second Unit

• 406 posts

Posted May 07 2013 - 09:40 AM

It's been reported in another thread that AMAZON duplicates these Warner Archive titles themselves as DVD-Rs and therefore will never have the PRESSED releases for the same title that you can find elsewhere. Just an FYI for anyone considering Amazon for the WA titles that initially come out pressed, as Tony did. .

Thank you very much for your helpful information, Professor Echo!

This is a bit disconcerting considering that I based my taking a chance with Amazon for The Bowery Boys Volume 2 on an "Amazon Verified Purchase" review for the Volume 1 set, which stated that "these appear to be commercially pressed DVDs, not DVD-Rs." I even checked out the reviewer in question's helpful rating, which was quite high! I guess the "Amazon Verified Purchase" designation ought to be taken with a grain of salt!

Anyway, my original BB Vol 2 Amazon order has safely returned to their shipping facility in Lexington, KY. Now, I just have to wait for my order of pressed DVDs from Movies Unlimited!

CHEERS!

Tony 

Edited by Tony Bensley, May 07 2013 - 10:35 AM.

• Professor Echo likes this

#1085 of 1502 OFFLINE   JeffT.

JeffT.

Supporting Actor

• 874 posts

Posted May 09 2013 - 05:32 AM

Well, like clockwork I viewed another entire disc of three (The) Bowery Boys films and this is my assessment of the contents:

SMUGGLER'S COVE (1948) Class casting with Martin Kosleck and (The) Three Stooges house villain Gene Roth. Veteran character actor Paul Harvey makes the second of four appearances in the series this time as Terrence Mahoney, Esq. Louie is missing this time out but Sach makes passing reference to him nonetheless (the genuine affection and regard that these series regulars have for one another consistently shows through which makes viewing these films an absolute delight).

Comedic highlights: Any scene with Martin Kosleck ("Slinky") and The Bowery Boys.

GHOST CHASERS (1951) The film series' first fantasy! More latitude is afforded to the Stan Laurel-like Whitey than usual and it all makes for a welcomed refreshing change-of-pace. Some interesting "new" Bowery characters are introduced in the personages of Louie's Sweetshop waitress Cynthia (Jan Kayne) and private detective Regan (Robert Coogan) adding much to the already hilarious proceedings. Slip’s mother (this time played by Doris Kemper) also makes one of her infrequent appearances.

Sadly, as was wont to happen, there is a print damage "break" in the film during the scene where Louie, having just arrived from his hastily concluded one week vacation and goes to the back storeroom of his sweet shop to see the "boys" who are conducting their own séance. Even the tv syndication prints are complete on this!

Comedic highlights: Sach and Whitey gaining admittance to a highly exclusive members' only séance held in a reclusive country estate.

LET’S GO NAVY (1951) I have always maintained lasting and fond memories of this particular (The) Bowery Boys film. Seeing it again after so many years I was not disappointed in the least. The impressively expansive U.S. naval destroyer main deck standing set seems to have been a leftover from ABBOTT AND COSTELLO IN THE NAVY (1941) and is certainly utilized to tremendous advantage. Paul Harvey makes his third of four appearances in the series as the U.S. naval destroyer's beleaguered perpetually long suffering commander. A young Don Gordon (BULLET) appears as a sailor! Producer Jan Grippo's parting (The) Bowery Boys film and a satisfactory wrap to an exceptional job well done!

Comedic highlight: Sach winning back all the gang's heavy losses from a sharp operator’s thimblerig fast buck con game.

That's it for now!

Jeff T.

#1086 of 1502 OFFLINE   Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley

Second Unit

• 406 posts

Posted May 09 2013 - 12:07 PM

I discovered yet another reason that ordering internationally from Amazon might not always be the most desirable option. According to what I read in Amazon's return policy, for international orders, they reimburse the return shipping cost up to a $15 maximum when they are at fault. Yet, while I paid just over $16 CDN (The least expensive method available for tracking purposes from my end!), Amazon sent me a lovely email informing me of my soon to appear compensation for shipping totaling a whopping $3.98! Needless to say, I AM NOT AT ALL IMPRESSED!

From now on, before I even remotely consider going the U.S. Amazon route, I'll check with CDN Amazon and Movies Unlimited first! I simply cannot afford to eat these kinds of charges!

Speaking of Movies Unlimited: after all this headache, their Bowery Boys Volume 2 DVDs had BETTER BE PRESSED!!!!!

CHEERS!

Tony

#1087 of 1502 ONLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,443 posts

Posted May 09 2013 - 02:44 PM

After all that trouble Tony I hope you do get a pressed copy.

...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#1088 of 1502 OFFLINE   Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley

Second Unit

• 406 posts

Posted May 09 2013 - 03:16 PM

After all that trouble Tony I hope you do get a pressed copy.

Thanks for your kind comment, Randy! I'll make a post detailing whether or not my Bowery Boys Volume 2 DVD's from Movies Unlimited are pressed (I'm 99% certain they will be!) once I receive them, hopefully in about a week or so!

CHEERS!

Tony

#1089 of 1502 OFFLINE   Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley

Second Unit

• 406 posts

Posted May 12 2013 - 09:40 AM

I discovered yet another reason that ordering internationally from Amazon might not always be the most desirable option. According to what I read in Amazon's return policy, for international orders, they reimburse the return shipping cost up to a $15 maximum when they are at fault. Yet, while I paid just over $16 CDN (The least expensive method available for tracking purposes from my end!), Amazon sent me a lovely email informing me of my soon to appear compensation for shipping totaling a whopping $3.98! Needless to say, I AM NOT AT ALL IMPRESSED!

From now on, before I even remotely consider going the U.S. Amazon route, I'll check with CDN Amazon and Movies Unlimited first! I simply cannot afford to eat these kinds of charges!

As a result of my experience regarding being under-compensated for my return shipping cost, I decided to fill out Amazon's online Package/Delivery Feedback Form. In my opinion, unless Amazon disagrees that abrasions on a disc's playing surface warrants a return, I strongly feel that the $3.98 compensation provided to me by Amazon for return shipping of an international order, which cost $9.98 to ship to my address in the first place, is woefully inadequate and unjust on their part! If they think that the amount I paid for shipping represented some kind of overkill on my part, I do feel Amazon should have at least met me halfway and provided me with a reimbursement of $9.98!

Sorry for my bellyaching, but this injustice has left me feeling royally ticked! 

CHEERS!

Tony

Edited by Tony Bensley, May 12 2013 - 09:42 AM.

#1090 of 1502 OFFLINE   Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley

Second Unit

• 406 posts

Posted May 15 2013 - 09:01 AM

LouA, on 02 May 2013 - 10:08 PM, said:snapback.png

Let us know how you make out. I'm sure there are others still looking for pressed discs of Vol 2.

Thanks, Lou! I'll be sure to do so, once I get my Bowery Boys Volume 2 shipment from Movies Unlimited! As this post is on a new page, I'll state for the benefit of anyone that's looking for the limited pressed DVDs of this volume: U.S. Amazon definitely doesn't have them!

CHEERS!

As promised, my report for my Bowery Boys Volume 2 Movies Unlimited Order: ALL PRESSED DVDS! 

My Verdict: For those who pressed discs (As opposed to the purple DVD-Rs!) of the Bowery Boys Volumes are an important priority, my recommendation is to order them either from Movies Unlimited or the TCM Shop, as Movies Unlimited is their Video Distributor!

CHEERS!

Tony

Edited by Tony Bensley, May 15 2013 - 10:32 AM.

• ahollis likes this

#1091 of 1502 OFFLINE   Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley

Second Unit

• 406 posts

Posted May 15 2013 - 01:46 PM

I decided to jump ahead to disc 4, and watch THE BOWERY BOYS MEET THE MONSTERS. The video quality certainly wasn't lacking in any way! As for the widescreen aspect ratio choice for this and other mid fifties entries, I tend to lean slightly in favor of the original theatrical aspect, though I also respect the opinions of those who prefer the uncropped matte aspect, which was used for later television airings.

The film itself I rather enjoyed seeing once again! While, by 1954 the series had largely evolved into the Slip N' Sach show, in my opinion that wasn't a bad thing, as the comic chemistry between Leo Gorcey and Huntz Hall was undeniable, and it would have been wrong for Allied Artists to not capitalize on that fact! Also, I still often find myself pleasantly surprised by the level of supporting players that turn up throughout the Bowery Boys series: In this film alone, there is John Dehner (I've always loved his "Boys in the Board" bit in AIRPLANE 2: THE SEQUEL!) as Dr. Derek Gravesend; and Ellen Corby (Best known as Grandma Walton!) as Amelia Gravesend. Though Ellen was then still only in her early 40's, she had already by this time taken on a rather grandmotherly appearance and demeanor! Veteran TV Western Actor Paul Wexler plays the Butler Grissom, coming across as an early version of "The Addams Family" Butler Lurch a full decade before the creation of the classic TV Horror Comedy Sitcom (Though the originating Charles Addams Cartoon Strips had been in existence since the late 1930's!)!

CHEERS!

Tony

Edited by Tony Bensley, May 15 2013 - 01:48 PM.

• ahollis likes this

#1092 of 1502 ONLINE   LouA

LouA

Supporting Actor

• 530 posts
  • LocationNew jersey

Posted May 15 2013 - 07:20 PM

Tony , Happy to hear that you recieved pressed discs. I agree with your assesment of BB Meet The Monsters/ and the Slip N' Satch show!

• Tony Bensley likes this

#1093 of 1502 OFFLINE   Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley

Second Unit

• 406 posts

Posted May 17 2013 - 10:09 AM

Tony , Happy to hear that you recieved pressed discs. I agree with your assesment of BB Meet The Monsters/ and the Slip N' Satch show!

Thanks, Lou! While Laurel & Hardy are my ALL TIME favorites, I have found Huntz Hall to be quite talented and versatile in his comedy, and also his ability to play it straight when the "sitiation" calls for it! Leo Gorcey had that ability, also. Of course, they started out as young dramatic actors (I highly recommend checking out Leo's performance in John Garfield's OUT OF THE FOG, if the opportunity presents itself!), and their comedy did evolve and develop over time!

CHEERS!

Tony

Edited by Tony Bensley, May 17 2013 - 10:10 AM.

#1094 of 1502 OFFLINE   JeffT.

JeffT.

Supporting Actor

• 874 posts

Posted May 17 2013 - 04:42 PM

Last Saturday evening I watched third disc of THE BOWERY BOYS, VOLUME TWO 4-disc set and the following are some of my own thoughts on the contents:

HOLD THAT LINE (1952)   This is another (The) Bowery Boys sprightly escapade that I have retained fond memories of over the long years and it didn’t disappointment in my recent viewing of it.  Fundamentally a reworking of THE THREE STOOGES shorts "Hoi Polloi” (29/08/1935) and “Half Wits Holiday” (09/01/1947).  Producer Jerry Thomas proves himself a fine replacement for the departed Jan Grippo and Mr. Thomas’ five (The) Bowery Boys films maintain the consistent high standards of his predecessor’s best efforts.  The easily forgettable Gil Stratton as shortlived gang member “Junior” doesn’t make much of an impression and overall proves to be an uninspired replacement for the lamented Whitey (Billy Benedict).  Bryon Foulger makes a brief appearance as a befuddled college math professor.  Apparently (the ultra serious) Mr. Foulger didn’t really appreciate working under what he felt were the unruly, improvisational, prankish antics of Leo Gorcey and Huntz Hall but still stoically endured them in three (The) Bowery Boys films no less.

Comedic highlight:  Slip winning the “big” football game at the rousing (and satisfying) climax through his own resourceful guile and ingenuity rather than the gimmick of Sach having artificially attained super-strength.

LOOSE IN LONDON (1953)  Around this time Louie is rapidly becoming one of the regular gang members satisfactorily replacing the void left by Whitey for the betterment of the series.  Not surprising in this considerably expanded upon capacity Louie joins the boys on their transatlantic jaunt to the U.K.  Veteran Universal Pictures screen villain Rex Evans (FRANKENSTEIN MEETS THE WOLFMAN and PURSUIT TO ALGIERS) is disappointingly wasted in what is little more than a minor role as one of the greedy relatives and one wishes that the impressionable rotund rogue had been given a much more substantial part in the dastardly proceedings.  It is interesting to see the Bowery storefront outdoor backlot façade shot from varying angles doing double-service as urban London city streets.

Comedic highlight:  Sach miraculously displaying an astonishingly “well-read” precise knowledge of all the famed London-based landmarks and historical sites.

CLIPPED WINGS (1953) This particular (The) Bowery Boys film has the selfsame feel and look of KEEP ‘EM FLYING (1941) with Abbott and Costello which was likely its primarily source of inspiration.  For the first and only time we are introduced to a Dave Moreno (Todd Karns) presumably a relation of the long errant Gabe Moreno (Gabriel Dell) likely serving as an appreciative nod to past grandeur.  Repetition is beginning to manifest itself as Slip and Sach unintentionally fill out applications for U.S. Air Force recruitment (see LET’S GO NAVY!).  Very much like LOOSE IN LONDON (1953) this mildly enjoyable entry while competently done still does not rank among the more commendable efforts in the series.  The Louie’s Sweet Shop standing set interior is slightly redressed to represent the U.S. Air Force base canteen. 

Comedic highlight:   Due to a recruitment application mishap Sach is assigned to the female WAF Unit an identical gag that would be reprised again in the latter produced MCHALE’S NAVY JOINS THE AIR FORCE (1965).

Well just one final disc left to view taking me to the halfway point in the series!

Jeff T.

:D

#1095 of 1502 ONLINE   LouA

LouA

Supporting Actor

• 530 posts
  • LocationNew jersey

Posted May 17 2013 - 06:08 PM

Thanks, Lou! While Laurel & Hardy are my ALL TIME favorites, I have found Huntz Hall to be quite talented and versatile in his comedy, and also his ability to play it straight when the "sitiation" calls for it! Leo Gorcey had that ability, also. Of course, they started out as young dramatic actors (I highly recommend checking out Leo's performance in John Garfield's OUT OF THE FOG, if the opportunity presents itself!), and their comedy did evolve and develop over time!

CHEER

Tony

Yes Tony , you can't beat Laurel and Hardy - they were in a class by themselves, but I love all of the classic comedy teams like Abbott and Costello, Marx Brothers, 3 Stooges , Slip and the boys , WC Fields , etc . Great stuff !!

Edited by LouA, May 17 2013 - 06:24 PM.

#1096 of 1502 OFFLINE   AfterIllusion

AfterIllusion

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted May 18 2013 - 11:26 AM

Has anyone had any problems watching "Ghost Chasers" on Volume 2? My dvd skips really bad on this one movie. I contacted WB Archives and they said this may be a problem on a mass scale... they might just be saying that to prolong getting me a replacement copy though! Anybody experience this "skippage" too?

#1097 of 1502 OFFLINE   mdnitoil

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor

• 778 posts

Posted May 19 2013 - 06:13 AM

Can you give us a time mark to check or is it throughout the feature?

#1098 of 1502 OFFLINE   Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley

Second Unit

• 406 posts

Posted May 19 2013 - 10:57 AM

I personally haven't viewed GHOST CHASERS as yet. However, in a post at the top of this page, JeffT. noted that he has viewed disc two. He stated the following about GHOST CHASERS: "Sadly, as was wont to happen, there is a print damage "break" in the film during the scene where Louie, having just arrived from his hastily concluded one week vacation and goes to the back storeroom of his sweet shop to see the "boys" who are conducting their own séance. Even the tv syndication prints are complete on this!"

It is my assumption that Jeff would have noted any additional issue regarding playback issues, which he did not. With that said, I will likely view GHOST CHASERS next just to double check!

I also wish to welcome Adam to the Home Theater Forum! Adam, I truly hope that your playback issues will be resolved! My only question is, have you tried playing GHOST CHASERS on more than one player? Over the years, I have sometimes found that the issue can be with the player, rather than the disc itself. Just a friendly suggestion.

CHEERS!

Tony

**UPDATE**

I just viewed GHOST CHASERS in its entirety. Other than a slight pause at 34:07 (As a result of the dual layer format, which MAY trigger a slight pause on some players!), there were NO freezes or skips! What I will explain briefly, is that I've noticed a slight pause in the middle film on each Bowery Boys disc, that I've viewed on my Toshiba DVD Player thus far. I've noticed that this slight pause doesn't occur on my PC, however.

Hope this information helps!

CHEERS!

Edited by Tony Bensley, May 19 2013 - 06:47 PM.

#1099 of 1502 OFFLINE   AfterIllusion

AfterIllusion

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted May 19 2013 - 08:04 PM

Thanks Tony! I have tried out the disc on two dvd players and also my PS3, which usually plays discs even my other dvd players have trouble playing. It paused at about 39 minutes in, and it didn't just skip, the movie refused to play at all and I have to turn off my player. It's a bummer to because The Bowery Boys are some of my favorite movies! I've been contacting Warner Archives about this, but as of yet I have not been able to get them to give me a return copy :/.

#1100 of 1502 OFFLINE   Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley

Second Unit

• 406 posts

Posted May 20 2013 - 07:26 AM

Thanks Tony! I have tried out the disc on two dvd players and also my PS3, which usually plays discs even my other dvd players have trouble playing. It paused at about 39 minutes in, and it didn't just skip, the movie refused to play at all and I have to turn off my player. It's a bummer to because The Bowery Boys are some of my favorite movies! I've been contacting Warner Archives about this, but as of yet I have not been able to get them to give me a return copy :/.

I'm finding it difficult to understand why Warner Archives is giving you a hard time about this, as it's clearly stated on their FAQ page that they will exchange discs that won't play due to manufacturing defect, which seems to be the unfortunate case with your disc. Perhaps to address the WA reps initial "this may be a widespread issue" reply, you could mention that you know of others on a Home Theater Forum thread who have had no playback issues regarding GHOST CHASERS. You can mention me by name as one if that helps!

Good luck!

CHEERS!

Tony

P.S. Here's a link to the WB Shop's Warner Archive FAQ Page:

http://www.wbshop.co...ING&cid=archive

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Warner

3 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

LouA