What's new

300: HD DVD edition - Best hidef disc, period? A review. (1 Viewer)

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I am planning opn getting the BR when it comes out but have not seen the film. I am a little worried about buying this sight unseen though. Nice to see a good review though.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
What we've learned from Warner on these recent dual releases is to expect the same results with Image/Audio....:emoji_thumbsup:

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Saw some snippets of this on HD DVD as presented by Mr. Nickerson from Warner at the HME. It looked fantastic and I agree that it could be THE high def disc so far... I am a big fan of IME/U Control stuff so the green screen PiP was certainly intriguing.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
I liked this movie and will be picking up the HD DVD without question. BUT...if the Blu is available and the HD DVD is nowhere to be seen when I go looking for one I will grab that version without hesitation.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
I watched pretty much my first (proper) HD DVD-title in last week (UK "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire") when I tested Toshiba´s player. I sampled the "In-Movie Experience" and I have to say that I liked it. It worked better than I expected and brought some freshness to the old audio commentaries. While I´m not very keen about these internet-based extras that HD DVD camp is promoting, this IME (and probably other similar ones) is very nice. Blu-ray has to get these also working, dammit. ;)

Btw. Is HD DVD-version of "300" combo?

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Already have the HD DVD version ordered and looking forward to viewing it, as I missed it at the theaters.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Harry Potter was the first imprt I ever ordered and convinced me to order others. It is a great transfer.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Loved this in the theaters and it appears that it will sound/look just as stricking at home. I recall the film looking overly grainy in some shots when I saw it on release day so I'll be curious to see how much that holds true for the HD release. According to the review it has "a raw, atmospheric grain" which sounds very promising.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
I stress that this is not flaming towards the HD DVD-format, but based on the information at hand, the web based extras doesn´t sound very hot:

http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6461151.html

"Warner will be selling film-related merchandise via a disc for the first time. With their HD DVD player remote, consumers will be able to type in their cell phone number to receive instructions to access 300 wallpaper and ringtones for $1.99 each."

Based on http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...ortunities/793 :

"The HD DVD will boast several exclusive interactive and web-enabled features, including the ability to re-edit and share versions of the film via a studio-hosted server."

Hmm. For these I can easily say that: No interest.

Of course, the PiP-feature sounds cool (not web related):
"300 on HD DVD also contains a picture-in-picture feature that compares the actors performing with a blue-screen background with the special-effects-laden feature film."

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Jari-
I didn't see any flames in your post! I can see your point on some of the web features, but having seen the PIP, that is the MUST BUY feature on this title. I can't describe how cool it was!

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
Just to emphasize since I see some conflicting statements.
The PIP feature is only available on the HDDVD version.
So, if you want that, you need the HDDVD.

Personally, if it didn't have the feature, I would have gotten the Blu-Ray since I loathe combo disc price premiums but the $5 premium is worth because of that awesome extra.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
It also looks kind of cool to be able make your own video montage on the HD DVD version. Hopefully I'll get my copy soon. :)

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
I'm sure that the PiP feature is very cool, but I just don't see where I would watch it more than once or even once, as I barely have time to watch the movies themselves these days. If this were between BD and HD DVD at equal price-points (i.e. no HD DVD Combo Format), I would opt for the HD DVD. As it stands now, I would prefer to pay less for the BD.

This must be part of the whole MySpace demographic that they're trying to target, but, again, I would never use this feature. Also, did I miss the memo where the MySpace demographic became the predominant early adopter of HT? :)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Turning 44 this September I hardly fall into the 'myspace' crowd. :D. In fact, the only myspace page I've ever visited was the director of The Fountain's page. :)

I just thought it might be cool to edit/make your own little video thingy. Is it the feature that stands above it all? Probably not...:) The only feature that will most likely get repeated viewings at my home is the main film feature. The other stuff is cool though.

Shawn Perron

Supporting Actor
Not that this HD-DVD/Blu-Ray will not look stunning, but I'm not sure you want to base this assumption off of an IGN review. :P

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S

If I'm not mistaken the IGN reviewers are also avid HTF members. Of the reviews that I've read in the past they are usually very accurate with their views.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks