Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

300: HD DVD edition - Best hidef disc, period? A review.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
78 replies to this topic

#1 of 79 OFFLINE   Pete T C

Pete T C

Second Unit

• 299 posts

Posted July 22 2007 - 04:07 AM

http://dvd.ign.com/a...7/807121p1.html

Perfect 10s across the board!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGN on the HD DVD-exclusive PiP
The picture-in-picture commentary is a ridiculously entertaining and informative addition, highlighting not only Snyder's dynamic, easy-going personality but everything and anything audiences may have wanted to know about the film's production. With a second, smaller screen in the bottom-left corner matched shot-for-shot with the theatrical release, viewers can see the green-screen, blue-screen, warts-and-all reference shots compared against their fully-produced end products. The Film-School-101, special-effects master class value is both remarkable and completely accessible as Snyder walks us through the arduous, painstaking process of creating an effects-heavy film with an impressive charisma and a well-delivered lesson plan. And the dual-picture accompaniment is a welcome, educational visual aid.

Didn't see this posted, but a nice preview of the disc Posted Image
For every shadow, no matter how deep, is threatened by morning light.

#2 of 79 OFFLINE   Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,341 posts

Posted July 22 2007 - 05:22 AM

I am planning opn getting the BR when it comes out but have not seen the film. I am a little worried about buying this sight unseen though. Nice to see a good review though.
Click and enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
---------------------------------------------------------
My Home Theatre "The Holodeck"

#3 of 79 OFFLINE   Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,681 posts

Posted July 22 2007 - 05:24 AM

What we've learned from Warner on these recent dual releases is to expect the same results with Image/Audio....Posted Image

#4 of 79 OFFLINE   Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Actor

• 881 posts

Posted July 22 2007 - 08:16 AM

Saw some snippets of this on HD DVD as presented by Mr. Nickerson from Warner at the HME. It looked fantastic and I agree that it could be THE high def disc so far... I am a big fan of IME/U Control stuff so the green screen PiP was certainly intriguing.

#5 of 79 OFFLINE   Jordan_E

Jordan_E

Screenwriter

• 2,233 posts

Posted July 22 2007 - 08:31 AM

I liked this movie and will be picking up the HD DVD without question. BUT...if the Blu is available and the HD DVD is nowhere to be seen when I go looking for one I will grab that version without hesitation.
And you believe, at heart, everyone's a killer...

#6 of 79 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,224 posts

Posted July 22 2007 - 08:42 AM

I watched pretty much my first (proper) HD DVD-title in last week (UK "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire") when I tested Toshiba´s player. I sampled the "In-Movie Experience" and I have to say that I liked it. It worked better than I expected and brought some freshness to the old audio commentaries. While I´m not very keen about these internet-based extras that HD DVD camp is promoting, this IME (and probably other similar ones) is very nice. Blu-ray has to get these also working, dammit. Posted Image

Btw. Is HD DVD-version of "300" combo?

#7 of 79 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,568 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted July 22 2007 - 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jari K
Btw. Is HD DVD-version of "300" combo?

Yes.

#8 of 79 OFFLINE   John Berggren

John Berggren

Producer

• 3,245 posts

Posted July 22 2007 - 01:21 PM

I'm all over this on blu ray.
Support the fight against Multiple Sclerosis as I ride in the 2007 MS 150 in New Bern this September.

Be a Widescreen Advocate

#9 of 79 OFFLINE   ppltd

ppltd

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted July 22 2007 - 01:33 PM

Already have the HD DVD version ordered and looking forward to viewing it, as I missed it at the theaters.
Thomas Eisenmann(Last updated 09/30/11)

Blu-Ray Collection  DVD Collection, Numerous BD players,

LG 55LX6500 55-Inch 3D 1080p 240 Hz LED

Pioneer VSX-94TXH, Panasonic PT-AE7000U 3D 1080p (PT-AE8000 Just Ordered, 

1124 BDs and going up, 1028 - DVDs and going down.

#10 of 79 OFFLINE   ppltd

ppltd

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted July 22 2007 - 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jari K
I watched pretty much my first (proper) HD DVD-title in last week (UK "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire") when I tested Toshiba´s player.
Harry Potter was the first imprt I ever ordered and convinced me to order others. It is a great transfer.
Thomas Eisenmann(Last updated 09/30/11)

Blu-Ray Collection  DVD Collection, Numerous BD players,

LG 55LX6500 55-Inch 3D 1080p 240 Hz LED

Pioneer VSX-94TXH, Panasonic PT-AE7000U 3D 1080p (PT-AE8000 Just Ordered, 

1124 BDs and going up, 1028 - DVDs and going down.

#11 of 79 OFFLINE   Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,525 posts

Posted July 22 2007 - 11:36 PM

Loved this in the theaters and it appears that it will sound/look just as stricking at home. I recall the film looking overly grainy in some shots when I saw it on release day so I'll be curious to see how much that holds true for the HD release. According to the review it has "a raw, atmospheric grain" which sounds very promising.
DVD & Blu-ray - It's all about the movies!

#12 of 79 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,224 posts

Posted July 23 2007 - 04:43 AM

I stress that this is not flaming towards the HD DVD-format, but based on the information at hand, the web based extras doesn´t sound very hot:

http://www.videobusi.../CA6461151.html

"Warner will be selling film-related merchandise via a disc for the first time. With their HD DVD player remote, consumers will be able to type in their cell phone number to receive instructions to access 300 wallpaper and ringtones for $1.99 each."

Based on http://www.highdefdi....ortunities/793 :

"The HD DVD will boast several exclusive interactive and web-enabled features, including the ability to re-edit and share versions of the film via a studio-hosted server."

Hmm. For these I can easily say that: No interest.

Of course, the PiP-feature sounds cool (not web related):
"300 on HD DVD also contains a picture-in-picture feature that compares the actors performing with a blue-screen background with the special-effects-laden feature film."

#13 of 79 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,916 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted July 23 2007 - 05:35 AM

Jari-
I didn't see any flames in your post! I can see your point on some of the web features, but having seen the PIP, that is the MUST BUY feature on this title. I can't describe how cool it was!

#14 of 79 OFFLINE   Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor

• 767 posts

Posted July 23 2007 - 05:46 AM

Just to emphasize since I see some conflicting statements.
The PIP feature is only available on the HDDVD version.
So, if you want that, you need the HDDVD.

Personally, if it didn't have the feature, I would have gotten the Blu-Ray since I loathe combo disc price premiums but the $5 premium is worth because of that awesome extra.

#15 of 79 OFFLINE   Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,681 posts

Posted July 23 2007 - 05:47 AM

It also looks kind of cool to be able make your own video montage on the HD DVD version. Hopefully I'll get my copy soon. Posted Image

#16 of 79 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted July 23 2007 - 05:50 AM

I'm sure that the PiP feature is very cool, but I just don't see where I would watch it more than once or even once, as I barely have time to watch the movies themselves these days. If this were between BD and HD DVD at equal price-points (i.e. no HD DVD Combo Format), I would opt for the HD DVD. As it stands now, I would prefer to pay less for the BD.

Quote:
It also looks kind of cool to be able make your own video montage on the HD DVD version.

This must be part of the whole MySpace demographic that they're trying to target, but, again, I would never use this feature. Also, did I miss the memo where the MySpace demographic became the predominant early adopter of HT? Posted Image
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#17 of 79 OFFLINE   Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,681 posts

Posted July 23 2007 - 06:01 AM

Turning 44 this September I hardly fall into the 'myspace' crowd. Posted Image. In fact, the only myspace page I've ever visited was the director of The Fountain's page. Posted Image

I just thought it might be cool to edit/make your own little video thingy. Is it the feature that stands above it all? Probably not...Posted Image The only feature that will most likely get repeated viewings at my home is the main film feature. The other stuff is cool though.

#18 of 79 OFFLINE   Shawn Perron

Shawn Perron

Supporting Actor

• 500 posts

Posted July 23 2007 - 07:00 AM

Not that this HD-DVD/Blu-Ray will not look stunning, but I'm not sure you want to base this assumption off of an IGN review. Posted Image

#19 of 79 OFFLINE   Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,525 posts

Posted July 23 2007 - 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Perron
Not that this HD-DVD/Blu-Ray will not look stunning, but I'm not sure you want to base this assumption off of an IGN review. Posted Image

If I'm not mistaken the IGN reviewers are also avid HTF members. Of the reviews that I've read in the past they are usually very accurate with their views.
DVD & Blu-ray - It's all about the movies!

#20 of 79 OFFLINE   Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair

Producer

• 3,320 posts

Posted July 23 2007 - 01:26 PM

How people can say this looks better than "Corpse Bride", amazes me!
Movies are: "The Greatest Artform".
HD should be for EVERYONE!

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow