What's new

cheap flipflops might cause severe skin reaction (Wal-Mart related) (1 Viewer)

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
http://www.lamanaphotography.com/walmart.htm

(warning, rather yucky photos in link)

Though this could be nothing to worry about & might even be made up to get money illegally, if the story is true (author includes lots of photos and paperwork backing up their story), I would be completely UNsurprised if the manufacturer really did use some inappropriate substance so as to manufacture this product as cheaply as possible.

Even before seeing this I was worried about buying electronic gear made in China because it might contain dangerous chemicals that could leach out and rub off when touched, or escape in a vaporous form when the component became warm/hot under normal use.

CRyan

Screenwriter
Is there ANYTHING not made in China or Taiwan in that store. Not trying to bash everything made in those countries, but I dont think I have ever seen anything made locally in a Walmart. Just cheap imitations of quality items in GENERAL.

Well, I did hear they were trying a program of buying produce from local farmers... Not sure if that is the case or not.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
The American flags I saw at a local Wal-Mart recently were made here.

On an unrelated note, IIRC I noticed Denon's upper tier receivers & integated amps are still made in Japan - hmm.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer

That's just stupid oops I mean silly....there are MANY stores that sell crap like this..sheesh.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
It's possible that everything in existence, can cause an allergic reaction to somebody. I bet they've sold a lot of those, to people that didn't happen to. I don't see how Wal Mart can be held responsible for someone's allergic reaction to something.

Of course, our bleeding heart court system, will probably award that person a lot of money, if it gets that far. Afterall, look what they gave the woman that spilled McDonald's coffee, in her lap, from her own stupidity!

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I think the above is about right. Some people will have an alergic reaction differently then others.

Example: tons of people are allergic to Peanuts, but it doesn't mean I don't enjoy them..

This weekend I spent two days basically flat on my back feeling like I was going to die and it was just a bad reaction to Amoxicillin, something tons of people have taken.

In regards to the smack on Denon, hell, out of all the receivers I've owned, in most flavors, I've had better performance with Denon as a bang for the buck then any. :)

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale

Speaking of lack of knowledge, why do people keep referring to the McDonald's coffee case when they obviously know little about it?

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave

Count me as another that doesn't shop Wal-Mart.
I have my wife do the shopping. :D

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed

What do you think I don't know about it?
I know she sued for the coffee being too hot. Do you think she drove up and asked for iced coffee? I know when most people order coffee, they expect it to be hot. I want it hot enough to sip, not just drink it down. There's no such thing as coffee that's too hot. I know the only time most people are going to think that coffee is too hot, is when they are stupid enough to set it where it's going to spill in their lap.

I also know that she didn't get millions, like she sued for. But I think the court was stupid for giving her a penny! If she hadn't spilled the coffee in her lap, she wouldn't have complained, and she spilled it in her lap, because of her own stupidity! The court basically paid her for being stupid!

But I'm in the minority of the politically correct public, because I'm not very PC. I also believe the courts were idiotic for making the tobacco companies pay all those millions, to smokers that got sick. Common sense should tell people that if you inhale the smoke from burning leaves, it can't possibly be good for you! (BTW...... I smoked for about 40 yrs.) No one MADE them smoke.
Sorry to get off the subject. This is a whole 'nuther thread. Just giving another example of how I'm not very PC....... :)

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I had read that before, but from a different source. So?
Like I said.........she didn't get the millions. The fact that they said she was only 20% at fault, is plain ridiculous. I'd say she's 95% at fault. Her being 76 yrs. old, makes it even worse. With age, is supposed to come wisdom! Like I also said.....no such thing as coffee as too hot. Not to me anyway. I'd rather have it hot, and let it sit and cool enough to sip.

I didn't want this to hijack the thread. I was making a point, about if the person sued over the flip flops, and how the courts would probably handle it. This is getting way off track from Wal Mart and the flip flops. If anyone wants to talk more about the coffee, start another thread. Sorry to get this thread off topic.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Remember, not too many years ago, Wal Mart's tv advertising was, we only buy "Made in America" merchandise. Wonder just when they strayed from that?
They bully their suppliers into giving them such low prices. Their associates have bad attitudes a lot of the time. They constantly block the isles with pallets of stuff they're putting on shelves. But, if you want to save some money, that's the place to go.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer

Never had any issues with them...the ones we shop at are big, well stocked, clutter free and a pleasure to shop in.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks