Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

cheap flipflops might cause severe skin reaction (Wal-Mart related)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 of 20 OFFLINE   LanceJ

LanceJ

Producer

• 3,168 posts

Posted July 21 2007 - 09:44 AM

http://www.lamanaphotography.com/walmart.htm

(warning, rather yucky photos in link)

Though this could be nothing to worry about & might even be made up to get money illegally, if the story is true (author includes lots of photos and paperwork backing up their story), I would be completely UNsurprised if the manufacturer really did use some inappropriate substance so as to manufacture this product as cheaply as possible.

Even before seeing this I was worried about buying electronic gear made in China because it might contain dangerous chemicals that could leach out and rub off when touched, or escape in a vaporous form when the component became warm/hot under normal use.

#2 of 20 OFFLINE   Alf S

Alf S

Screenwriter

• 1,471 posts

Posted July 21 2007 - 09:53 AM

Quote:
Even before seeing this I was worried about buying electronic gear made in China because it might contain dangerous chemicals that could leach out and rub off when touched, or escape in a vaporous form when the component became warm/hot under normal use.

Paranoia will destroy ya........

Posted Image
WOOSAH!.

#3 of 20 OFFLINE   LanceJ

LanceJ

Producer

• 3,168 posts

Posted July 21 2007 - 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S
Paranoia will destroy ya........

Posted Image
.....but a little bit will help you live longer. Posted Image

#4 of 20 OFFLINE   MikeH1

MikeH1

Screenwriter

• 1,498 posts

Posted July 22 2007 - 09:06 AM

And this is why I don't shop at Wal Mart.

#5 of 20 OFFLINE   LanceJ

LanceJ

Producer

• 3,168 posts

Posted July 22 2007 - 01:48 PM

Quote:
Same here.

#6 of 20 OFFLINE   CRyan

CRyan

Screenwriter

• 1,244 posts

Posted July 22 2007 - 02:10 PM

Is there ANYTHING not made in China or Taiwan in that store. Not trying to bash everything made in those countries, but I dont think I have ever seen anything made locally in a Walmart. Just cheap imitations of quality items in GENERAL.

Well, I did hear they were trying a program of buying produce from local farmers... Not sure if that is the case or not.

#7 of 20 OFFLINE   LanceJ

LanceJ

Producer

• 3,168 posts

Posted July 22 2007 - 08:42 PM

The American flags I saw at a local Wal-Mart recently were made here.

On an unrelated note, IIRC I noticed Denon's upper tier receivers & integated amps are still made in Japan - hmm.

#8 of 20 OFFLINE   Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted July 22 2007 - 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceJ
...Denon's upper tier receivers ...

I had never seen a triple oxymoron, until now.
"I was born to ramble, born to rove
Some men are searchin for the Holy Grail
But there ain't nothin sweeter 
Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-

#9 of 20 OFFLINE   Alf S

Alf S

Screenwriter

• 1,471 posts

Posted July 23 2007 - 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hein

That's just stupid oops I mean silly....there are MANY stores that sell crap like this..sheesh.
WOOSAH!.

#10 of 20 OFFLINE   Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley

Screenwriter

• 2,701 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted July 23 2007 - 01:31 AM

It's possible that everything in existence, can cause an allergic reaction to somebody. I bet they've sold a lot of those, to people that didn't happen to. I don't see how Wal Mart can be held responsible for someone's allergic reaction to something.

Of course, our bleeding heart court system, will probably award that person a lot of money, if it gets that far. Afterall, look what they gave the woman that spilled McDonald's coffee, in her lap, from her own stupidity!
Samsung HL61A750 (LED DLP)            Onkyo TX-SR805
Oppo BDP-83 Blu ray                                  Polk Audio LSi9
Polk Audio LSiC                                  Sony SS-MB100H
SVS PC12-NSD (Sub)                       ...

#11 of 20 OFFLINE   Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted July 23 2007 - 01:50 AM

I think the above is about right. Some people will have an alergic reaction differently then others.

Example: tons of people are allergic to Peanuts, but it doesn't mean I don't enjoy them..

This weekend I spent two days basically flat on my back feeling like I was going to die and it was just a bad reaction to Amoxicillin, something tons of people have taken.

In regards to the smack on Denon, hell, out of all the receivers I've owned, in most flavors, I've had better performance with Denon as a bang for the buck then any. Posted Image
My Current DVD-Profiler

"I've been Ostrafied!" - Christopher, Sopranos 5/6/07

#12 of 20 OFFLINE   Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted July 23 2007 - 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Moxley

Of course, our bleeding heart court system, will probably award that person a lot of money, if it gets that far. Afterall, look what they gave the woman that spilled McDonald's coffee, in her lap, from her own stupidity!

Speaking of lack of knowledge, why do people keep referring to the McDonald's coffee case when they obviously know little about it?
"I was born to ramble, born to rove
Some men are searchin for the Holy Grail
But there ain't nothin sweeter 
Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-

#13 of 20 OFFLINE   drobbins

drobbins

Screenwriter

• 1,870 posts

Posted July 23 2007 - 03:43 AM

Quote:
Quote: And this is why I don't shop at Wal Mart. Same here.

Count me as another that doesn't shop Wal-Mart.
I have my wife do the shopping. Posted Image

#14 of 20 OFFLINE   Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley

Screenwriter

• 2,701 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted July 23 2007 - 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Gale
Speaking of lack of knowledge, why do people keep referring to the McDonald's coffee case when they obviously know little about it?

What do you think I don't know about it?
I know she sued for the coffee being too hot. Do you think she drove up and asked for iced coffee? I know when most people order coffee, they expect it to be hot. I want it hot enough to sip, not just drink it down. There's no such thing as coffee that's too hot. I know the only time most people are going to think that coffee is too hot, is when they are stupid enough to set it where it's going to spill in their lap.

I also know that she didn't get millions, like she sued for. But I think the court was stupid for giving her a penny! If she hadn't spilled the coffee in her lap, she wouldn't have complained, and she spilled it in her lap, because of her own stupidity! The court basically paid her for being stupid!

But I'm in the minority of the politically correct public, because I'm not very PC. I also believe the courts were idiotic for making the tobacco companies pay all those millions, to smokers that got sick. Common sense should tell people that if you inhale the smoke from burning leaves, it can't possibly be good for you! (BTW...... I smoked for about 40 yrs.) No one MADE them smoke.
Sorry to get off the subject. This is a whole 'nuther thread. Just giving another example of how I'm not very PC....... Posted Image

#15 of 20 OFFLINE   ThomasC

ThomasC

Lead Actor

• 6,526 posts

Posted July 23 2007 - 04:43 AM

Quote:
What do you think I don't know about it?
I know she sued for the coffee being too hot. Do you think she drove up and asked for iced coffee? I know when most people order coffee, they expect it to be hot. I want it hot enough to sip, not just drink it down. There's no such thing as coffee that's too hot. I know the only time most people are going to think that coffee is too hot, is when they are stupid enough to set it where it's going to spill in their lap.

I also know that she didn't get millions, like she sued for. But I think the court was stupid for giving her a penny! If she hadn't spilled the coffee in her lap, she wouldn't have complained, and she spilled it in her lap, because of her own stupidity! The court basically paid her for being stupid!
http://www.centerjd....._mcdonalds.htm

#16 of 20 OFFLINE   Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley

Screenwriter

• 2,701 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted July 23 2007 - 05:18 AM

I had read that before, but from a different source. So?
Like I said.........she didn't get the millions. The fact that they said she was only 20% at fault, is plain ridiculous. I'd say she's 95% at fault. Her being 76 yrs. old, makes it even worse. With age, is supposed to come wisdom! Like I also said.....no such thing as coffee as too hot. Not to me anyway. I'd rather have it hot, and let it sit and cool enough to sip.

I didn't want this to hijack the thread. I was making a point, about if the person sued over the flip flops, and how the courts would probably handle it. This is getting way off track from Wal Mart and the flip flops. If anyone wants to talk more about the coffee, start another thread. Sorry to get this thread off topic.

#17 of 20 OFFLINE   LanceJ

LanceJ

Producer

• 3,168 posts

Posted July 23 2007 - 05:45 AM

I wish I could really say what I think about Wal-Mart but it would instantly get the thread locked.

Or you could watch this: The Corporation

#18 of 20 OFFLINE   Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley

Screenwriter

• 2,701 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted July 23 2007 - 06:26 AM

Remember, not too many years ago, Wal Mart's tv advertising was, we only buy "Made in America" merchandise. Wonder just when they strayed from that?
They bully their suppliers into giving them such low prices. Their associates have bad attitudes a lot of the time. They constantly block the isles with pallets of stuff they're putting on shelves. But, if you want to save some money, that's the place to go.

#19 of 20 OFFLINE   Alf S

Alf S

Screenwriter

• 1,471 posts

Posted July 23 2007 - 08:30 AM

Quote:
Remember, not too many years ago, Wal Mart's tv advertising was, we only buy "Made in America" merchandise. Wonder just when they strayed from that?
They bully their suppliers into giving them such low prices. Their associates have bad attitudes a lot of the time. They constantly block the isles with pallets of stuff they're putting on shelves. But, if you want to save some money, that's the place to go.

Never had any issues with them...the ones we shop at are big, well stocked, clutter free and a pleasure to shop in.
WOOSAH!.

#20 of 20 OFFLINE   Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted July 23 2007 - 08:53 AM

Yep. Good Penn & Teller response to the Nay sayers this year also Posted Image
My Current DVD-Profiler

"I've been Ostrafied!" - Christopher, Sopranos 5/6/07

Back to After Hours Lounge

Forum Nav Content I Follow