Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
DVD Reviews

HTF REVIEW: 300: Two-Disc Special Edition

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
50 replies to this topic

#1 of 51 Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,065 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted July 20 2007 - 02:43 AM

http://static.hometh...overs_87650.jpg">

300: Two-Disc Special Edition

Directed By: Zack Snyder

Starring: Gerard Butler, Lena Headey, Dominic West, David Wenham, Vincent Regan, Andrew Tiernan, Rodrigo Santoro

Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#2 of 51 donnie_d

donnie_d

Stunt Coordinator

• 179 posts

Posted July 20 2007 - 06:39 AM

does anyone actually realize how bad this movie is? i kept watching the trailer 300 times...i was thinking maybe i'll watch this 3-4 times the day it comes out but no...one time and just one,thank god.

#3 of 51 Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Executive Producer

• 14,160 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted July 20 2007 - 06:51 AM

Well it was a lot more entertaining than Alexander, what an epic turd that was.

Thanks for the review Ken, will be ordering it soon, extras are a little underwhelming but I suspect this won't be the last time I'll be buying 300. Posted Image

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#4 of 51 Kris Z.

Kris Z.

Stunt Coordinator

• 191 posts

Posted July 20 2007 - 07:10 AM

Unless you're talking about some compression-related artifacts, the grain is supposed to be there. It's part of the film's look.

#5 of 51 Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,600 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted July 20 2007 - 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnie_d
does anyone actually realize how bad this movie is?

Hmmm...

8.1/10 on IMDB
85% from users on Rotten Tomatoes
And about $210 million in US box office

Are you saying ALL those people are wrong?

#6 of 51 Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Executive Producer

• 14,160 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted July 20 2007 - 07:39 AM

Good work Jason, btw I like your avatar. Posted Image

And by contrast what did Troy and Alexander get on the Tomatometer? Your honor I rest my case.

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#7 of 51 Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,065 posts

Posted July 20 2007 - 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Z.
Unless you're talking about some compression-related artifacts, the grain is supposed to be there. It's part of the film's look.
I am not talking about natural film grain. I am talking about the kind of artifacts seen on the SD-DVDs of "Superman", "Blood Diamond", and quite a few other recent Warner releases of new theatrical titles over the last several months.

Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#8 of 51 Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,600 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted July 20 2007 - 08:18 AM

Thanks Steve! I am so looking forward to July 31. (Can you tell??)

Troy got 69% from users and Alexander 33%.

#9 of 51 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,432 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted July 20 2007 - 08:20 AM

Quote:
does anyone actually realize how bad this movie is?
Good post.

#10 of 51 Kris Z.

Kris Z.

Stunt Coordinator

• 191 posts

Posted July 20 2007 - 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_McAlinden
I am not talking about natural film grain. I am talking about the kind of artifacts seen on the SD-DVDs of "Superman", "Blood Diamond", and quite a few other recent Warner releases of new theatrical titles over the last several months.
I don't know about those other titles, but I remember when I went to see 300 it was covered in what looked like it might have been digitally generated grain, so I still say it's supposed to be there. Of course it's possible that the lower resolution and bitrate of SD-DVD might not have been able resolve the effect properly (haven't seen the disc, and I'm not sure if I will either.)

#11 of 51 Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted July 20 2007 - 09:47 AM

Yeah this had some real heavy grain in the theater so I'm expecting the same. Though I'm not doubting Kens word that ithe DVD has digital artifacting also. Probably is a limitation of SD resolution.

I'll be expecting heavy grain but no artifacts when I get the High Def version.
Death before Streaming!

#12 of 51 Jonny P

Jonny P

Supporting Actor

• 649 posts

Posted July 20 2007 - 09:52 AM

WB has had very bad digital grain (and compression blocking) on a number of their recent releases including "Happy Feet" and "The Departed."

This is in stark contrast to other recent SD releases from studios that look beautiful ("Night at the Museum" as an example).

My feeling is that this has to do with the fact that WB is format agnostic (they make SD, HD and Blu-Ray) and therefore feel little need to make top-notch SD releases anymore.

Which is sad because they used to be a leader when it came to quality DVD releases.

I wondered if this would be a problem on "300", and apparently it is.

I must say that it stuns me that this movie did so well. People compare this to "Troy" and "Alexander," but those movies sucked so I am not sure what the point is in saying this movie is better than those.

I saw the movie later in its run after all the hype, and I am convinced that it benefitted from being released during a slow box office period. It was interesting, but I am not sure that there is much more appeal than watching the stylized digital look of the movie.

And if the SD release suffers from the digital blocking that "The Departed" suffered from, then that appeal is a moot point.

#13 of 51 RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted July 20 2007 - 09:54 AM

I had mine on preorder for 2 weeks now. Thanks for the review!

#14 of 51 Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,065 posts

Posted July 20 2007 - 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny P
My feeling is that this has to do with the fact that WB is format agnostic (they make SD, HD and Blu-Ray) and therefore feel little need to make top-notch SD releases anymore...
...except that their catalog DVDs never seem to have the same kind of artifacts.

By the way, a characteristic of the artifacts that I am seeing is that they are not uniformly distributed but tend to be more intense along high contrast edges and moving objects, which is not how natural grain behaves. Also, I meant to say "Superman Returns" in my earlier post, not "Superman".

Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#15 of 51 TheBat

TheBat

Producer

• 3,000 posts

Posted July 20 2007 - 11:51 AM

I thought the movie was just okay.. I prefered troy over it. I never read the comic book/graphic novel.

I liked sin city better.

however I will still get it.

my problem was with the narration.

SPOILER:

the narrator telling how they fought well, when we didn;t need the narration.. we could see that they were fighting well in battle.

#16 of 51 Peter Overduin

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor

• 781 posts

Posted July 20 2007 - 11:51 AM

Quote:
does anyone actually realize how bad this movie is? i kept watching the trailer 300 times...i was thinking maybe i'll watch this 3-4 times the day it comes out but no...one time and just one,thank god.

No...I guess I don't realize how bad this movie considering how much I am looking forward to buying this title in HD.

The only thing I DO become emminently cognizant of is how annoyed I get with people who feel they have to thread crap on a reviewers effort to let us know what to expect, which I personally appreciate; even for dvd's I have no intention of buying. It's disrespectful to the reviewer and NObody gives a shit if you liked the movie or not. Thank you.
Peter

My Collection

#17 of 51 John Alderson

John Alderson

Supporting Actor

• 563 posts

Posted July 20 2007 - 01:24 PM

I thought this forum had a policy against posts exactly like donnie's...

Anyway, I just watched Blood Diamond and noticed the exact kind of MPEG artifacts you're talking about. It was most noticeable on panning shots of forests and other highly detailed scenes... there were noticeable artifacts around the leaves. I've seen this type of thing before and have always assumed it was poorly compressed film grain, which is actually very hard to compress properly and have it look accurate... though many films do, especially these days.

It's sad that it's a trend from WB. I hadn't noticed it on The Departed, but I sat closer to my TV when I watched Blood Diamond. Oh well, I'll get 300 anyway, it's my favorite of the year so far.

#18 of 51 Jonny P

Jonny P

Supporting Actor

• 649 posts

Posted July 20 2007 - 02:12 PM

Quote:
...except that their catalog DVDs never seem to have the same kind of artifacts.

By the way, a characteristic of the artifacts that I am seeing is that they are not uniformly distributed but tend to be more intense along high contrast edges and moving objects, which is not how natural grain behaves. Also, I meant to say "Superman Returns" in my earlier post, not "Superman".

Regards,

I know...it is weird that the catalog titles don't have that problem.

#19 of 51 Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,065 posts

Posted July 20 2007 - 02:15 PM

I actually would like to encourage people to post dissenting opinions to my own in any of my review threads. The stuff that bothers me is when it is dismissive and non-specific, which does not add much to the discussion. Saying what you don't like about it is fine and dandy, but suggesting that people who do not like it are somehow incapable of detecting some kind of unspecified badness sounds condescending.

In any case, that's just one reporter's opinion. Post how you like within the forum rules.

Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#20 of 51 Bo_Darville

Bo_Darville

Stunt Coordinator

• 67 posts

Posted July 21 2007 - 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Overduin
The only thing I DO become emminently cognizant of is how annoyed I get with people who feel they have to thread crap on a reviewers effort to let us know what to expect
first of all, the reviewer himself qualified his review by including this disclosure(which seemingly takes into account persons like donnie's opinion):
Quote:
Audience members who are looking for sophistication of plot and dialog will likely be disappointed, as this film's approach to its mythic themes is, predictably, rather spartan.

Back to DVD, Blu-ray & Digital Reviews

Forum Nav Content I Follow