-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Rogue Cop (1954) Warner... how about giving Robert Taylor some due?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 of 23 MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted July 19 2007 - 11:26 PM

Who else would like to see this great film with Robert Taylor, Janet Leigh and George Raft out on DVD?

Perhaps it's being planned for a future 'Tough Guys' box set... but I'd just as soon take a standalone release.

Who's with me?

#2 of 23 flagbrothers

flagbrothers

Stunt Coordinator

• 98 posts

Posted July 19 2007 - 11:29 PM

I love this film. Hope its released soon.

#3 of 23 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,322 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 19 2007 - 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoBiscotti
Who else would like to see this great film with Robert Taylor, Janet Leigh and George Raft out on DVD?

Perhaps it's being planned for a future 'Tough Guys' box set... but I'd just as soon take a standalone release.

Who's with me?
Love this film, but let's be realistic about it being a standalone release. Posted Image However, I liked your other idea because Warner has a bunch of these type of good, gritty films that they can market together in a future "Tough Guys" boxset or in a "Film Noir" one.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#4 of 23 Jim Bur

Jim Bur

Stunt Coordinator

• 161 posts

Posted July 20 2007 - 08:38 AM

I second the nomination for Rogue Cop. It would make a strong entry in any collection. The person who wrote the source novel for Rogue Cop was William McGivern who also wrote the source novel for one of my all time favorites, The Big Heat, with Glenn Ford.

Robert Taylor, was at various times, either the first or second biggest male star for MGM during the 1940's and 1950's. His work is vastly underepresented on DVD. A Robert Taylor collection is long overdue. One hopes that his underreprentation on DVD is not due to politics. Taylor was very conservative and testified as a friendly witness before HUAC.

It's hard to believe that so many high quality Taylor films such as 'Party Girl", "The Law and Jake Wade", "Above and Beyond', 'Rogue Cop", "Johnny Eager", "Many Rivers to Cross", "The Bribe", "Devil's Doorway", "This Is My Affair", 'Billy the Kid", "Ambush", "All the Brothers Were Valiant", "Valley of the Kings", "A Yank at Oxford", "Waterloo Bridge", "Quo Vadis", etc. all still remain unreleased so late into the DVD era.

c Jim Bur

#5 of 23 Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted July 20 2007 - 08:55 AM

Funny you should bring this up. We watched ROGUE COP three nights ago, a recording I made of a TCM airing.

This is a first-rate crime noir delivered in hard-as-nails hardboiled style. One of the things that impressed me the most was the beginning. There's no music score, just the sound of a police radio to drop right into the middle of the big city at night. It's superbly written, directed, and photographed with memorable performances by every one, even the bit players.

No crime film or noir fan will be disappointed in ROGUE COP, and if you haven't discovered the film yet, you're in a real treat.

I would urge WHV / MGM to put ROGUE COP at the top of their list for release to DVD.

#6 of 23 John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,434 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted July 20 2007 - 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bur
A Robert Taylor collection is long overdue. One hopes that his underreprentation on DVD is not due to politics. Taylor was very conservative and testified as a friendly witness before HUAC.

If Warner is willing release Big Jim McLain, I reckon that's hardly a factor; I would buy a Robert Taylor box set in a heartbeat.
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#7 of 23 Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted July 20 2007 - 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hodson
If Warner is willing release Big Jim McLain, I reckon that's hardly a factor; I would buy a Robert Taylor box set in a heartbeat.

So would I.

I would buy stand-alone Taylors in a heartbeat, too.

I would especially like to see ROGUE COP on a DVD.

#8 of 23 Charles H

Charles H

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted July 20 2007 - 10:33 AM

HIGH WALL is a terrific noir, and there are some underrated other noirs (CONSPIRATOR, TIP ON A DEAD JOCKEY, PARTY GIRL), westerns (DEVIL'S DOORWAY, WESTWARD THE WOMEN, THE LAST HUNT, THE LAW AND JAKE WADE, AMBUSH, SADDLE THE WIND, and MANY RIVERS TO CROSS--directed by the underrated Roy Rowland of ROGUE COP). His best film may be ABOVE AND BEYOND in which he played Paul Tibbets. And whatever happened to the superior 1940 WATERLOO BRIDGE? Would love to see Universal or Best Buy bring out THE NIGHT WALKER with Stanwyck.
Charles Hoyt

#9 of 23 Jim Bur

Jim Bur

Stunt Coordinator

• 161 posts

Posted July 20 2007 - 10:35 AM

Quote:

John; I hope its not a factor, but I'm not so sure. The John Wayne/McLain analogy is hardly conclusive as Wayne is a star of such gargantuan proportions as to transcend any other considerations.

#10 of 23 MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted July 20 2007 - 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard
This is a first-rate crime noir delivered in hard-as-nails hardboiled style. One of the things that impressed me the most was the beginning. There's no music score, just the sound of a police radio to drop right into the middle of the big city at night. It's superbly written, directed, and photographed with memorable performances by every one, even the bit players.

No crime film or noir fan will be disappointed in ROGUE COP, and if you haven't discovered the film yet, you're in a real treat.

I would urge WHV / MGM to put ROGUE COP at the top of their list for release to DVD.

I second all of these sentiments Richard!

Glad to see that others are just as eager for this lesser known gem to be put out on DVD!

(I'd say it's something to bring up at next year's WHV chat, but I'm hoping we'll be surprised and it'll be released before than!)

#11 of 23 John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,434 posts

Posted July 21 2007 - 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bur
John; I hope its not a factor, but I'm not so sure. The John Wayne/McLain analogy is hardly conclusive as Wayne is a star of such gargantuan proportions as to transcend any other considerations.

But by the same token, Jim, Taylor's involvement in HUAC barely registers on the public conciousness today and I can't believe it would be a factor. Possibly more of an issue would be that maybe Taylor is not seen today as a big enough name to carry a box set in a commercial sense. I hope that's not so - I think there are enough fans to make it viable.
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#12 of 23 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,322 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 21 2007 - 03:20 AM

Quote:
But by the same token, Jim, Taylor's involvement in HUAC barely registers on the public conciousness today and I can't believe it would be a factor. Possibly more of an issue would be that maybe Taylor is not seen today as a big enough name to carry a box set in a commercial sense. I hope that's not so - I think there are enough fans to make it viable.
The main reason why Big Jim McLain was released is due to one thing, John Wayne. Even today, his titles sells like hot cakes and even this very mediocre film. Now, as far as Robert Taylor there is little doubt he's getting the short end of the stick from Warner. Warner needs to do right by him by releasing some of his films in a boxset. Maybe, some of his titles are planned in other boxsets scheduled for some of his female co-stars, but I still think Warner can release a boxset of his titles under his name. They can easily find 5-6 titles from the following 20 titles that I selected and there are even some titles not mentioned that can be considered for such a boxset:
  • A Yank at Oxford
  • Three Comrades
  • Waterloo Bridge
  • Quo Vadis?
  • Westward the Women
  • Ride Vaquero
  • High Wall
  • The Last Hunt
  • Rogue Cop
  • All the Brothers were Valiant
  • The Law and Jake Wade
  • Above and Beyond
  • Ambush
  • Billy the Kid
  • The Crowd Roars
  • Saddle the Wind
  • Escape
  • The Bribe
  • Party Girl
  • Valley of the Kings
If you look over this listing, you will see some fine films from different genres. Some of those westerns are among my favorite ones, but you have some really good melodramas, film noir and war films among the group. Sure, some of the titles are mediocre at best, but out of 20 films, Warner can easily give this great MGM star his due. Furthermore, I think he was among the last of the great stars from the golden age under contract to his studio. They can do a great documentary on such a topic and how the studio system came to an end.

Crawdaddy

#13 of 23 John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,434 posts

Posted July 21 2007 - 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford
Now, as far as Robert Taylor there is little doubt he's getting the short end of the stick from Warner.

No argument here from me on that. Just bring out the box set Warner...
Film Journal Blog

#14 of 23 CineKarine

CineKarine

Supporting Actor

• 672 posts

Posted July 21 2007 - 04:21 AM

.....and please Warner, be sure to include THREE COMRADES and WATERLOO BRIDGE in this set!!!!! Two of the finest films ever made, as far as this movie enthusiast is concerned Posted Image
Sing your worries away, smile, be kind and accentuate the positive!
DVD wish list: The Accused (48), Margie (46), I'll Get By (50), The Constant Nymph (43), The Voice of the Turtle (47), The Barretts of Wimpole Street (34), Her Twelve Men (54), The Lost Moment (47), I Walk Alone (48), The Glass...

#15 of 23 Corey

Corey

Screenwriter

• 1,412 posts

Posted July 21 2007 - 05:35 AM

Perfect Robert Taylor Collecetion:

-Three Comrades
-Party Girl
-The Law and Jake Wade
-Johnny Eager
-High Wall
-Eascape

I'd like a double feature of A Yank at Oxford and A Yank at Eton and I'm hoping we'll get Waterloo Bridge next Valentine's Day.
Corey's most wanted R1 dvds:

Little Darlings (1980), My Cousin Rachel (1952), The Deep Blue Sea (1955), The White Cliffs of Dover (1944), Born to Be Bad (1950), Ivy (1947), Reckless (1935), Springtime in the Rockies (1942), The Barretts of Wimpole Street

#16 of 23 Jefty

Jefty

Stunt Coordinator

• 166 posts

Posted July 21 2007 - 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey
Perfect Robert Taylor Collecetion:

-Three Comrades
-Party Girl
-The Law and Jake Wade
-Johnny Eager
-High Wall
-Eascape

I'd like a double feature of A Yank at Oxford and A Yank at Eton and I'm hoping we'll get Waterloo Bridge next Valentine's Day.

That would make a great set Corey--although personally, I would play it safe and replace Law and JW with Waterloo Bridge... and Small Town Girl would make a nice addition too... Taylor also made a few important films that other studios ought to be releasing as well--notably This is My Affair (Fox) and Magnificent Obsession (Universal--who really haven't done justice to John Stahl on VHS or DVD)

As for Taylor's politics--I don't see how extreme conservatism could HURT an actor's rep in contemporary America, and, thankfully, Taylor never really had enough power to inflict his horrifically flawed worldview onto the films he was making, John Wayne style (although it seems likely, considering the Wayne phenomenon, that, if he HAD, he'd have TEN boxed sets by now, although then I wouldn't want any of them...)

#17 of 23 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,322 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 21 2007 - 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefty
That would make a great set Corey--although personally, I would play it safe and replace Law and JW with Waterloo Bridge... and Small Town Girl would make a nice addition too... Taylor also made a few important films that other studios ought to be releasing as well--notably This is My Affair (Fox) and Magnificent Obsession (Universal--who really haven't done justice to John Stahl on VHS or DVD)

As for Taylor's politics--I don't see how extreme conservatism could HURT an actor's rep in contemporary America, and, thankfully, Taylor never really had enough power to inflict his horrifically flawed worldview onto the films he was making, John Wayne style (although it seems likely, considering the Wayne phenomenon, that, if HAD, he'd have TEN boxed sets by now, although then I wouldn't want any of them...)
Let's stay away from the political angle, but few people today care about what some dead movie star's politics were 60 years ago. That type of stuff is too long ago to make a difference now and the only thing left is the films they appeared in.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

#18 of 23 Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Supporting Actor

• 817 posts
  • LocationKent "The Garden of England", UK

Posted January 23 2013 - 08:47 AM

I was just about to ask about Rogue Cop on the Warner Archive thread when I found this one. Does anyone know why, considering the talents involved, it still hasn't been released?

#19 of 23 JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,511 posts

Posted January 23 2013 - 09:09 AM

I've seen it mentioned more than once on their Facebook page. It seems the print is in poor shape over the years and it needs extensive work before it can be safely remastered.

#20 of 23 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,322 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted January 23 2013 - 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by JoHud 

I've seen it mentioned more than once on their Facebook page. It seems the print is in poor shape over the years and it needs extensive work before it can be safely remastered.

Right, it's not like Warner Archive hasn't given Robert Taylor his proper due.  I just counted 20 Robert Taylor titles in my library from Warner Archive alone.  That just might be the most titles of any single actor in the Archive program.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Back to DVD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow