What's new

Warner BD/HD Titles for Sept including The Wild Bunch, Wyatt Earp and MORE! (1 Viewer)

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Holy Shit! :emoji_thumbsup: One of my favorite Westerns The Wild Bunch is on it's way to High Def.
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

Courtesy DVDTimes

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=65354

Shawn.F

Supporting Actor
The Wild Bunch? HELL YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!

For an SD, that recent 2-disc set looked really nice. It's going to be brilliant in high-def! :) :)

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Once again, more lossy audio from Warner. I really wish Sony owned The Wild Bunch so epics like this would get the proper treatment. The sound was superb when I saw a restored 70mm print at the Cinerama Dome in 1995.

I'm not really interested in Gothika, but the European release from Sony has PCM audio and is region free.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

The audio you heard at the Cinerama Dome in 1995 would have been standard theatrical Dolby Digital at a bit rate of 320 kbit/s. What you will hear on this disc will be much better than what you heard in the theater.

Doug

Edit: Or possibly DTS, neither would have been lossless and DD+ should be a big improvement on what you heard in the theater. BTW how do you know it will be lossy, all it says is 5.1?

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins

No, I'm almost positive that it was 6-track magnetic. I just placed a call to a projectionist friend of mine who is going to find out for me. If I am wrong I will stand corrected.

I know it's lossy because the back of the jacket says "Dolby Digital Plus 5.1".

I know that some around here think Warner can do no wrong, but even Universal is on the lossless bandwagon now and 100% of the titles announced by Starz/Anchor Bay are lossless. In terms of audio, Warner is near the bottom of the barrell when considering the % of titles with lossless or hi-rez.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

From what I was able to find out the 1995 70mm release of The Wild Bunch offered either DD or DTS. I don't believe there was a mag stripe print for that release, although I was not able to find out that there wasn't. The 35mm prints had SDDS or standard Dolby Stereo.

Doug

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

For me too. I have them on SD DVD, though, so this will be another HD double dipping. I´ll probably get also "Gods and Generals" (haven´t seen it), but not sure about "Gothika" (haven´t seen that either).

Keep em coming.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I still haven't heard back from my friend, but maybe I'm wrong anyway. I could've sword it was 6-track mag but that was 12 years ago, so my memory could be playing tricks on me.

I probably went a little overboard on my reaction, so I will eat crow on this one. This is one of my favorite films. Is it wrong for me to want the best possible quality? :)

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Do you mean: a honey of a version? ;-)

WB is a GREAT SD DVD & HD Disc studio, no doubt about it.
H O W E V E R . . .
man, I sure wish they'd use higher bit rates for audio. :-(

Ben_Williams

Second Unit
Real Name
Ben Williams
Wow... watching the Wild Bunch on BD is going to be an altogether new experience after meeting Ernest Borgnine! Not to mention probably never having seen it look anywhere near as good!

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

No not at all....I prefer to have the best quality possible, but often times people poo poo DD or DD+ as though it sounds like complete garbage. I don't think a lot of people understand that what they are hearing, even on standard DVD, is actually a higher bit rate and better quality than what they heard in the theater.

Many people have a problem with the compression used in DD and I understand that issue. But I really feel that with a sound track such as that of The Wild Bunch , we are talking about a sound track that is intentionally limited in its dynamic range and its frequency response. This was called the Academy Curve and it was applied vertually every film made up until Dolby introduced the eXtended range curve or the X-Curve. Even the magnetic 6 track on a 70mm release was limited. DD+ should be able to reproduce this sound track in such a way that very few people could tell the difference between it and the original source.

Doug

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Need to confess I've never seen The Wild Bunch.
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif
Fraud Alert!!!! Based on the comments here looks like it's a worthy title.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

You´ll love it. One of the best westerns ever made. And violent too! ;) Talking about some cool characters in one film..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks