Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Warner BD/HD Titles for Sept including The Wild Bunch, Wyatt Earp and MORE!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 of 19 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted July 19 2007 - 08:40 AM

Holy Shit! Posted Image One of my favorite Westerns The Wild Bunch is on it's way to High Def. Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Courtesy DVDTimes

http://www.dvdtimes....contentid=65354

Quote:
Warner Home Video have announced the US Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD release of four titles on 25th September 2007. Priced at $28.99 SRP each are Wyatt Earp, The Wild Bunch, Gods and Generals and Gothika.

All extras from the DVD releases are included with full specs below…

Wyatt Earp
  • 1080P 2.40:1 Widescreen
  • English 5.1, French 2.0, Spanish 1.0
  • English, French and Spanish subtitles
  • Lifted Scenes
  • Documentary “It Happened That Way”
  • Vintage TV Special “Wyatt Earp: Walk With a Legend”
  • Theatrical Trailer
The Wild Bunch (Director’s Cut)
  • English 5.1, French 2.0, Spanish 2.0
  • Commentary by Peckinpah Biographers/Documentarians Nick Redman, Paul Seydor, Garner Simmons and David Weddle
  • Additional Scenes
  • 3 Documentaries:
    • Sam Peckinpah’s West: Legacy of a Hollywood Renegade
    • The Wild Bunch: An Album in Montage
    • Excerpt from “A Simple Adventure Story: Sam Peckinpah, Mexico and the Wild Bunch”, a documentary film by Nick Redman
  • [*]Peckinpah Movie Trailer Gallery
Gods and Generals
  • English 5.1
  • Introduction by Executive Producer Ted Turner
  • Commentary by director/screenwriter Ronal F. Maxwell and historical advisors Col. Keith Gibson and James I. Robertson Jr.
  • 3 Documentaries:
    • Journey to the Past: The African-American Slave Experience in the film’s era
    • The Life of Thomas “Stonewall” Jackson
    • The Authenticities of the Film
  • [*]2 Music Videos:
    • Bob Dylan’s “Cross the Green Mountain”
    • Mary Fahl’s “Going Home”
    [*]Theatrical Trailer
Gothika - We’re actually lacking confirmation on extras for this one, but it should follow the usual Warner trend of including all DVD extras (likely those from the 2-Disc SE). Tech specs follow:
  • 1080P 1.78:1 Widescreen
  • English 5.1, French 5.1, Spanish 2.0
All titles feature Dolby Digital audio on Blu-ray Disc and Dolby Digital Plus audio on HD DVD. Dual-layer BD50 and HD30s are in use across the board with the exception of Gothika which comes on a BD25.

Death before Streaming!

#2 of 19 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted July 19 2007 - 08:43 AM

SWEET! Gothika! Posted Image

I keed, I keed.

Excellent, off goes the SD DVD of the Wild Bunch to half.com.
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#3 of 19 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,668 posts

Posted July 19 2007 - 09:01 AM

Irresistible!

Cees

#4 of 19 OFFLINE   ppltd

ppltd

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted July 19 2007 - 09:27 AM

Wild Bunch and Wyatt Earp are must buys for me.
Thomas Eisenmann(Last updated 09/30/11)

Blu-Ray Collection  DVD Collection, Numerous BD players,

LG 55LX6500 55-Inch 3D 1080p 240 Hz LED

Pioneer VSX-94TXH, Panasonic PT-AE7000U 3D 1080p (PT-AE8000 Just Ordered, 

1124 BDs and going up, 1028 - DVDs and going down.

#5 of 19 OFFLINE   Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff

Screenwriter

• 2,858 posts

Posted July 19 2007 - 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppltd

Mega-dittoes!

#6 of 19 OFFLINE   Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted July 19 2007 - 10:26 AM

Quote:
If only they'd include the extended cut of Wyatt Earp but it's still cool.
R.I.P. DVDSpot

#7 of 19 OFFLINE   Shawn.F

Shawn.F

Supporting Actor

• 561 posts

Posted July 19 2007 - 10:31 AM

The Wild Bunch? HELL YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!

For an SD, that recent 2-disc set looked really nice. It's going to be brilliant in high-def! Posted Image Posted Image

#8 of 19 OFFLINE   Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins

Screenwriter

• 1,765 posts

Posted July 19 2007 - 12:57 PM

Once again, more lossy audio from Warner. I really wish Sony owned The Wild Bunch so epics like this would get the proper treatment. The sound was superb when I saw a restored 70mm print at the Cinerama Dome in 1995.

I'm not really interested in Gothika, but the European release from Sony has PCM audio and is region free.

#9 of 19 OFFLINE   Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted July 19 2007 - 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Adkins
Once again, more lossy audio from Warner. I really wish Sony owned The Wild Bunch so epics like this would get the proper treatment. The sound was superb when I saw a restored 70mm print at the Cinerama Dome in 1995.

I'm not really interested in Gothika, but the European release from Sony has PCM audio and is region free.

The audio you heard at the Cinerama Dome in 1995 would have been standard theatrical Dolby Digital at a bit rate of 320 kbit/s. What you will hear on this disc will be much better than what you heard in the theater.

Doug

Edit: Or possibly DTS, neither would have been lossless and DD+ should be a big improvement on what you heard in the theater. BTW how do you know it will be lossy, all it says is 5.1?
"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#10 of 19 OFFLINE   Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins

Screenwriter

• 1,765 posts

Posted July 19 2007 - 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Monce
The audio you heard at the Cinerama Dome in 1995 would have been standard theatrical Dolby Digital at a bit rate of 320 kbit/s. What you will hear on this disc will be much better than what you heard in the theater.

Doug

Edit: Or possibly DTS, neither would have been lossless and DD+ should be a big improvement on what you heard in the theater. BTW how do you know it will be lossy, all it says is 5.1?

No, I'm almost positive that it was 6-track magnetic. I just placed a call to a projectionist friend of mine who is going to find out for me. If I am wrong I will stand corrected.

I know it's lossy because the back of the jacket says "Dolby Digital Plus 5.1".

I know that some around here think Warner can do no wrong, but even Universal is on the lossless bandwagon now and 100% of the titles announced by Starz/Anchor Bay are lossless. In terms of audio, Warner is near the bottom of the barrell when considering the % of titles with lossless or hi-rez.

#11 of 19 OFFLINE   Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted July 19 2007 - 01:59 PM

Quote:
No, I'm almost positive that it was 6-track magnetic. I just placed a call to a projectionist friend of mine who is going to find out for me. If I am wrong I will stand corrected.

I know it's lossy because the back of the jacket says "Dolby Digital Plus 5.1".

I know that some around here think Warner can do no wrong, but even Universal is on the lossless bandwagon now and 100% of the titles announced by Starz/Anchor Bay are lossless. In terms of audio, Warner is near the bottom of the barrell when considering the % of titles with lossless or hi-rez.

From what I was able to find out the 1995 70mm release of The Wild Bunch offered either DD or DTS. I don't believe there was a mag stripe print for that release, although I was not able to find out that there wasn't. The 35mm prints had SDDS or standard Dolby Stereo.

Doug

#12 of 19 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,227 posts

Posted July 19 2007 - 11:48 PM

Quote:

For me too. I have them on SD DVD, though, so this will be another HD double dipping. I´ll probably get also "Gods and Generals" (haven´t seen it), but not sure about "Gothika" (haven´t seen that either).

Keep em coming.

#13 of 19 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,245 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted July 20 2007 - 03:25 PM

i'd buy wyatt again if it was the ling version.
facebook.com/whotony

#14 of 19 OFFLINE   Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins

Screenwriter

• 1,765 posts

Posted July 20 2007 - 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Monce
From what I was able to find out the 1995 70mm release of The Wild Bunch offered either DD or DTS. I don't believe there was a mag stripe print for that release, although I was not able to find out that there wasn't. The 35mm prints had SDDS or standard Dolby Stereo.

Doug
I still haven't heard back from my friend, but maybe I'm wrong anyway. I could've sword it was 6-track mag but that was 12 years ago, so my memory could be playing tricks on me.

I probably went a little overboard on my reaction, so I will eat crow on this one. This is one of my favorite films. Is it wrong for me to want the best possible quality? Posted Image

#15 of 19 OFFLINE   Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair

Producer

• 3,320 posts

Posted July 20 2007 - 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD
i'd buy wyatt again if it was the ling version.
Do you mean: a honey of a version? ;-)

WB is a GREAT SD DVD & HD Disc studio, no doubt about it.
H O W E V E R . . .
man, I sure wish they'd use higher bit rates for audio. :-(
Movies are: "The Greatest Artform".
HD should be for EVERYONE!

#16 of 19 OFFLINE   Ben_Williams

Ben_Williams

Second Unit

• 454 posts

Posted July 20 2007 - 04:59 PM

Wow... watching the Wild Bunch on BD is going to be an altogether new experience after meeting Ernest Borgnine! Not to mention probably never having seen it look anywhere near as good!

#17 of 19 OFFLINE   Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted July 20 2007 - 05:26 PM

Quote:
I still haven't heard back from my friend, but maybe I'm wrong anyway. I could've sword it was 6-track mag but that was 12 years ago, so my memory could be playing tricks on me.

I probably went a little overboard on my reaction, so I will eat crow on this one. This is one of my favorite films. Is it wrong for me to want the best possible quality? Posted Image

No not at all....I prefer to have the best quality possible, but often times people poo poo DD or DD+ as though it sounds like complete garbage. I don't think a lot of people understand that what they are hearing, even on standard DVD, is actually a higher bit rate and better quality than what they heard in the theater.

Many people have a problem with the compression used in DD and I understand that issue. But I really feel that with a sound track such as that of The Wild Bunch , we are talking about a sound track that is intentionally limited in its dynamic range and its frequency response. This was called the Academy Curve and it was applied vertually every film made up until Dolby introduced the eXtended range curve or the X-Curve. Even the magnetic 6 track on a 70mm release was limited. DD+ should be able to reproduce this sound track in such a way that very few people could tell the difference between it and the original source.

Doug

#18 of 19 OFFLINE   Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,687 posts

Posted July 21 2007 - 04:21 AM

Need to confess I've never seen The Wild Bunch. Posted Image Fraud Alert!!!! Based on the comments here looks like it's a worthy title.

#19 of 19 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,227 posts

Posted July 21 2007 - 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Glover
The Wild Bunch

You´ll love it. One of the best westerns ever made. And violent too! Posted Image Talking about some cool characters in one film..

Forum Nav Content I Follow