What's new

HD DVD Outpacing All Next-Gen Formats in Sales Growth (1 Viewer)

Shawn Perron

Supporting Actor
HD-DVD's strategy for the 1st quarter finally makes sense. Release very few movies in the 1st quarter, release a lot in quarter 2 then make a press release about how much your format is growing quarter over quarter. ;)

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
I have a suggestion for the mods: Can we make two sticky threads and put all the BS press releases from each camp in them? :D Seriously, though, pretty please?

Nick Graham

Screenwriter

I second that request - we need a sticky thread for every duelling "We're winning!" and "No, we're winning!" press release like this.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Good idea Paul. :emoji_thumbsup: Or better yet how about creating a BD/HD smackdown area where these kind of threads can go and those interested can argue format war, sales data, attach rates, PR hyperbole, cheap chinese players, Walmart speculation and Project Hydra til they're blu or red in the face.

The software area should be about um....software right? Title announcements, release speculations, rumors, reviews, bitching, moaning, whining, etc. ;)

Seriously though. I getting sick and tired of these bullshit PR announcements from both camps. If you ask me both sides need to reallocate their resources from this BS PR shit and spend more time and effort getting product on the shelves. Newsflash! Content will sell your players not these dog and pony shows.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I was thinking the EXACT same thing. Seems every other thread in thi section is someone winning big! A Sticky would cut down on the clutter in this section.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
:) Jim, it is in the realm of PR BS (which much of it is) that minds are changed in the general public and sales are made. Until these PR and marketing sessions (strategies) begin to create a little traction with the general public, all of the content in the world won't help move the hardware.

They need many more marketing dollars if they are ever going to make any head way into the general public marketing arena, which at the present time is certainly very much anemic.

Certainly I would like to see more resources thrown at the hardware and content side, but to be honest, there is still more than enough out there to keep me satisfied for the time being. And I doubt new hardware will improve sales in the least bit.

As a side note to those voicing concern of threads like this, where was all of your outrage on threads like this one that are positive to the BD side of the house (there are certainly many more of those in this forum)?

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer

Amen to that!!!!!!!!

:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

What's worse is people taking blogs etc info as gospel..."Oh I heard on "BobsDVDBlog" that Blu has X% better attach rate!!" UGH.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

That's why I said both camps BS PR announcements. Tim's post and HD DVD's latest press release just happened to be "the straw that broke the camel's back" for me personally. Certainly, no offense is intended toward Tim.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

That's fine and all Thomas, but threads devoted to this kind of fluff posted in the HD software area won't move any hardware. I don't see what purpose it serves other than trying to show one format has a one up on the other. If it's purpose is to get more people into HD then posting it in here is like preaching to the choir.

This kind of stuff should be posted in the SD Software area if it's purpose is to sell the format. ;)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
The single best way of helping to let a thread you don't like sink out of sight is: not posting in it.
Also: a sticky would do the reverse.

Posting a version of "I don't like this thread" time and again isn't helping, and basically off-topic. :)

Cees

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Based on popular demand, I made this a stickey and changed the title, (and was going to do the same for a BR PR thread), but I see Cees decided ot to so I will undo it. I had already changed the thread title, so I will try to put it back the best that I can....

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
But why sticky it?

When the next press release (later today, then tomorrow, the next day, etc, etc,) get lumped in here it'll naturally float to the top like raw sewage. :D ;) No reason to sticky it IMO. :)

Shawn Perron

Supporting Actor
If you are going to sticky something, how about a thread about whether it's best for the consumer to have one format or two? This would prevent it from taking over all the threads as it has done of late. Nothing like off topic walls of text and people rebutting each other repeating the same arguements found elsewhere on this forum.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
And for the whole group posting here, apparently.

We simply cannot do something like that at about the first "pro-HD DVD" post of this kind posted, after so many "pro-BD" PR threads of the same kind were left untouched recently.

Cees

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

I'm just not seeing all these recent Pro PR BD threads in this area unless you count the threads about Starz, Image, etc, going BD exlusive which does belong here IMO because it's about software releases.

Maybe the "Hastings" thread and the "end is near" thread but that's an AVS-like smackdown thread unto itself, and it's been around forever.

Shawn Perron

Supporting Actor

Haha. This press release is apparently so obviously misleading that even the HD-DVD fanboys at AVS have to agree that it's BS. Which probably also the reason people here have so much to say about it. :P

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks