Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

HD DVD Outpacing All Next-Gen Formats in Sales Growth

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
69 replies to this topic

#1 of 70 Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted July 18 2007 - 01:32 AM

HD DVD Outpacing All Next-Gen Formats in Sales Growth

Quote:
Promotional Group announces record HD DVD hardware and software sales
increases from Q1-Q2 2007

LAS VEGAS, July 17 /PRNewswire/ -- At the Entertainment Merchants
Association (EMA) Home Media Expo 2007, the North American HD DVD
Promotional Group today announced that overall HD DVD hardware sales were
up 37 percent from Q1 to Q2 2007, while software sales experienced a 20
percent increase in growth. The data is based on NPD reports, Nielsen
Netratings reports and point of sale data from the studios. During the same
time-frame, overall Blu-ray hardware sales saw a 27 percent decline from Q1
to Q2, and Blu-ray software sales were down 5 percent

Driven by major spring marketing efforts which brought standalone HD
DVD players down to an industry first $299, dedicated HD DVD CE players
experienced an astounding 183 percent quarterly increase. There are
currently more than 180,000 dedicated HD DVD CE players in the market.

"The numbers are clear -- HD DVD is steadily gaining momentum and
market share," said Ken Graffeo, executive vice president of HD strategic
marketing for Universal Studios Home Entertainment, and co-president of the
HD DVD Promotional Group. "With HD DVD CE players now at MSRP prices
starting at $299 and with strong marketing campaigns around new HD DVD
titles with web-enabled interactive features, we're continuing to raise the
bar for the consumer experience."

Recent studies(1) have shown most consumers are basing their purchasing
decisions on pricing. Benefiting from more than a decade of DVD technology
advancements and improvements, HD DVD hardware pricing has already
dropped from $499 to $299 since the first players were introduced last year as a result of manufacturing efficiencies, while still maintaining a consistent
consumer experience.

"With the total number of titles available for each format differing by
only 20-30 titles at this time, the real-world gap in content between the
two formats is in actuality not as large as many would perceive," said Paul
Erickson, market analyst with IMS Research. "Consumers in the US and Europe
continue to show the greatest sensitivity to price, rather than content or
branding, in their purchase decision for standalone high-definition
players."

With titles like "300" coming later this month from Warner Home Video
and "Heroes: Season 1" to be released in August from Universal Studios Home
Entertainment, HD DVD owners will have close to 1,000 titles worldwide to
choose from by the holidays.

#2 of 70 Shawn Perron

Shawn Perron

Supporting Actor

• 500 posts

Posted July 18 2007 - 01:46 AM

HD-DVD's strategy for the 1st quarter finally makes sense. Release very few movies in the 1st quarter, release a lot in quarter 2 then make a press release about how much your format is growing quarter over quarter. Posted Image

#3 of 70 Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted July 18 2007 - 01:48 AM

I have a suggestion for the mods: Can we make two sticky threads and put all the BS press releases from each camp in them? Posted Image Seriously, though, pretty please?
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#4 of 70 Nick Graham

Nick Graham

Screenwriter

• 1,409 posts

Posted July 18 2007 - 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Arnette
I have a suggestion for the mods: Can we make two sticky threads and put all the BS press releases from each camp in them? Posted Image Seriously, though, pretty please?

I second that request - we need a sticky thread for every duelling "We're winning!" and "No, we're winning!" press release like this.

#5 of 70 Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted July 18 2007 - 02:06 AM

Good idea Paul. Posted Image Or better yet how about creating a BD/HD smackdown area where these kind of threads can go and those interested can argue format war, sales data, attach rates, PR hyperbole, cheap chinese players, Walmart speculation and Project Hydra til they're blu or red in the face.

The software area should be about um....software right? Title announcements, release speculations, rumors, reviews, bitching, moaning, whining, etc. Posted Image

Seriously though. I getting sick and tired of these bullshit PR announcements from both camps. If you ask me both sides need to reallocate their resources from this BS PR shit and spend more time and effort getting product on the shelves. Newsflash! Content will sell your players not these dog and pony shows.

Death before Streaming!

#6 of 70 patrickSo

patrickSo

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted July 18 2007 - 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_K
Or better yet how about creating a BD/HD smackdown area where these kind of threads can go and those interested can argue format war, sales data, attach rates, PR hyperbole, cheap chinese players, Walmart speculation and Project Hydra til they're blu or red in the face.

It's called AVS.

#7 of 70 RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted July 18 2007 - 02:39 AM

I was thinking the EXACT same thing. Seems every other thread in thi section is someone winning big! A Sticky would cut down on the clutter in this section.

#8 of 70 ppltd

ppltd

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted July 18 2007 - 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_K
Seriously though. I getting sick and tired of these bullshit PR announcements from both camps. If you ask me both sides need to reallocate their resources from this BS PR shit and spend more time and effort getting product on the shelves. Newsflash! Content will sell your players not these dog and pony shows.
Posted Image Jim, it is in the realm of PR BS (which much of it is) that minds are changed in the general public and sales are made. Until these PR and marketing sessions (strategies) begin to create a little traction with the general public, all of the content in the world won't help move the hardware.

They need many more marketing dollars if they are ever going to make any head way into the general public marketing arena, which at the present time is certainly very much anemic.

Certainly I would like to see more resources thrown at the hardware and content side, but to be honest, there is still more than enough out there to keep me satisfied for the time being. And I doubt new hardware will improve sales in the least bit.

As a side note to those voicing concern of threads like this, where was all of your outrage on threads like this one that are positive to the BD side of the house (there are certainly many more of those in this forum)?
Thomas Eisenmann(Last updated 09/30/11)

Blu-Ray Collection  DVD Collection, Numerous BD players,

LG 55LX6500 55-Inch 3D 1080p 240 Hz LED

Pioneer VSX-94TXH, Panasonic PT-AE7000U 3D 1080p (PT-AE8000 Just Ordered, 

1124 BDs and going up, 1028 - DVDs and going down.

#9 of 70 Alf S

Alf S

Screenwriter

• 1,298 posts

Posted July 18 2007 - 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Arnette

Amen to that!!!!!!!!

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

What's worse is people taking blogs etc info as gospel..."Oh I heard on "BobsDVDBlog" that Blu has X% better attach rate!!" UGH.
WOOSAH!.

#10 of 70 Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted July 18 2007 - 03:00 AM

Quote:
As a side note to those voicing concern of threads like this, where was all of your outrage on threads like this one that are positive to the BD side of the house (there are certainly many more of those in this forum)?

That's why I said both camps BS PR announcements. Tim's post and HD DVD's latest press release just happened to be "the straw that broke the camel's back" for me personally. Certainly, no offense is intended toward Tim.
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#11 of 70 Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted July 18 2007 - 03:11 AM

Quote:
Jim, it is in the realm of PR BS (which much of it is) that minds are changed in the general public and sales are made. Until these PR and marketing sessions (strategies) begin to create a little traction with the general public, all of the content in the world won't help move the hardware.

That's fine and all Thomas, but threads devoted to this kind of fluff posted in the HD software area won't move any hardware. I don't see what purpose it serves other than trying to show one format has a one up on the other. If it's purpose is to get more people into HD then posting it in here is like preaching to the choir.

This kind of stuff should be posted in the SD Software area if it's purpose is to sell the format. Posted Image
Death before Streaming!

#12 of 70 Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,550 posts

Posted July 18 2007 - 03:35 AM

The single best way of helping to let a thread you don't like sink out of sight is: not posting in it.
Also: a sticky would do the reverse.

Posting a version of "I don't like this thread" time and again isn't helping, and basically off-topic. Posted Image

Cees

#13 of 70 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,636 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted July 18 2007 - 03:38 AM

Based on popular demand, I made this a stickey and changed the title, (and was going to do the same for a BR PR thread), but I see Cees decided ot to so I will undo it. I had already changed the thread title, so I will try to put it back the best that I can....Posted Image

#14 of 70 Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted July 18 2007 - 03:41 AM

But why sticky it?

When the next press release (later today, then tomorrow, the next day, etc, etc,) get lumped in here it'll naturally float to the top like raw sewage. Posted Image Posted Image No reason to sticky it IMO. Posted Image

Death before Streaming!

#15 of 70 Todd H

Todd H

Screenwriter

• 2,038 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted July 18 2007 - 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickSo
It's called AVS.

We have a winner! Posted Image

#16 of 70 Shawn Perron

Shawn Perron

Supporting Actor

• 500 posts

Posted July 18 2007 - 03:47 AM

If you are going to sticky something, how about a thread about whether it's best for the consumer to have one format or two? This would prevent it from taking over all the threads as it has done of late. Nothing like off topic walls of text and people rebutting each other repeating the same arguements found elsewhere on this forum.

#17 of 70 Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,550 posts

Posted July 18 2007 - 03:49 AM

Quote:
"the straw that broke the camel's back" for me personally
And for the whole group posting here, apparently.

We simply cannot do something like that at about the first "pro-HD DVD" post of this kind posted, after so many "pro-BD" PR threads of the same kind were left untouched recently.

Cees

#18 of 70 Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted July 18 2007 - 03:59 AM

Quote:
We simply cannot do something like that at about the first "pro-HD DVD" post of this kind posted, after so many "pro-BD" PR threads of the same kind were left untouched recently.

I'm just not seeing all these recent Pro PR BD threads in this area unless you count the threads about Starz, Image, etc, going BD exlusive which does belong here IMO because it's about software releases.

Maybe the "Hastings" thread and the "end is near" thread but that's an AVS-like smackdown thread unto itself, and it's been around forever.
Death before Streaming!

#19 of 70 Shawn Perron

Shawn Perron

Supporting Actor

• 500 posts

Posted July 18 2007 - 04:03 AM

Quote:

Haha. This press release is apparently so obviously misleading that even the HD-DVD fanboys at AVS have to agree that it's BS. Which probably also the reason people here have so much to say about it. Posted Image

#20 of 70 Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,550 posts

Posted July 18 2007 - 04:07 AM

Posted Image
But no reason to make it a sticky!

Cees

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow