Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

"Yellow Submarine" DVD? (The Beatles animated movie)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#1 of 23 OFFLINE   buttmunker

buttmunker

Second Unit

• 329 posts

Posted July 17 2007 - 07:28 AM

http://www.amazon.co....4700231&sr=1-1

Its for sale on Amazon, but apparently used, and quite expensive (over $50.00). Was this release initally a Region 0 (Canada), or something? It's never been officially released, by the looks of it.

I watched a clip of it on the "Anthology" series, and it looked cute (with the exaggerated british accent by actors).

Also, what's the status of Beatles "Promotional Films" being released to DVD in their entirety? Only a few were complete in the "Anthology," and many were either short clips, or missing altogether.
"The power of love will keep you home at night" -Huey Lewis & The News

"I give in to sin because you have to make this life liveable" -Depeche Mode

#2 of 23 OFFLINE   GlennH

GlennH

Screenwriter

• 2,126 posts

Posted July 17 2007 - 08:35 AM

Yellow Submarine was released officially by MGM in Region 1 (U.S. and Canada) in 1999, but it is now out-of-print. I have it. This appears to be what many are selling on Amazon for $55+. Guess I should have bought some spare copies. Posted Image

#3 of 23 OFFLINE   Greg_M

Greg_M

Screenwriter

• 1,193 posts

Posted July 17 2007 - 08:37 AM

Why has it gone out-of-print? did the right lapse?

#4 of 23 OFFLINE   Derek Miner

Derek Miner

Screenwriter

• 1,668 posts

Posted July 18 2007 - 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_M
Why has it gone out-of-print? did the right lapse?
Exactly.
= Derek Miner =
Co-founder, Sunscreen Film Festival

#5 of 23 OFFLINE   Jeff Kuykendall

Jeff Kuykendall

Stunt Coordinator

• 106 posts

Posted July 19 2007 - 07:48 AM

Wow, I had no idea this had gone OOP. It's an excellent DVD, and a brilliant restoration. It was a lot of fun to see the restoration on the big screen back in 1999 or so.

And if you haven't seen it yet, and like the Beatles, you owe it to yourself to seek it out. It's a masterpiece of animation (and very psychedelic), and widely regarded as a classic.
My Film Blog: //killthesnark.blogspot.com

#6 of 23 OFFLINE   buttmunker

buttmunker

Second Unit

• 329 posts

Posted July 19 2007 - 07:56 AM

The Rights lapsed. Was there a problem renewing the Rights? I don't understand why this happens. So, another distributor has to buy the Rights in order for this to be re-released? Is that how that works?

#7 of 23 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,305 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted July 19 2007 - 08:18 AM

Guess so.

The only downside to the 1999 disc is that it's non-anamorphic.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#8 of 23 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,477 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted July 19 2007 - 11:14 AM

Apparently, Apple Films owns the rights, while MGM/UA only has/had distribution rights.

#9 of 23 OFFLINE   Mark B

Mark B

Supporting Actor

• 724 posts
  • LocationSaranac Lake, NY

Posted July 19 2007 - 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Kuykendall
It was a lot of fun to see the restoration on the big screen back in 1999 or so.

I saw it that year on the big screen and it was amazing, due to the energy of the audience as much as the film itself. Every song was a sing-along and lines of dialogue were shouted out. It was a fantastic way to experience the film.

#10 of 23 OFFLINE   Reggie W

Reggie W

Supporting Actor

• 747 posts

Posted July 19 2007 - 02:22 PM

Just a note, although this is out of print I still see it on the shelves of retailers in my area.

#11 of 23 OFFLINE   ScottR

ScottR

Screenwriter

• 2,650 posts

Posted July 19 2007 - 02:59 PM

I think this ran in syndication alot in the late 1970's and very early 1980
's....when I got the dvd, it seemed like I used to watch it when I was little.

#12 of 23 OFFLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,944 posts

Posted July 19 2007 - 11:43 PM

Speaking of Yellow Submarine, just this past weekend, Little Steven dedicated his Underground Garage radio show to the movie and the songs. He tells an interesting story of how the rights to the animated series found their way to King Syndicate, which then talked the Beatles into letting an animated movie become their third feature, thus meeting a requirement for a feature under a contract with United Artists.

You can listen to the whole show here; it's great stuff:

http://www.littleste....y/archive.html

#13 of 23 OFFLINE   buttmunker

buttmunker

Second Unit

• 329 posts

Posted July 20 2007 - 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie W
Just a note, although this is out of print I still see it on the shelves of retailers in my area.

Which retailers? Maybe if I visit their website I'll get a surprise?

#14 of 23 OFFLINE   AnthonyC

AnthonyC

Screenwriter

• 2,341 posts

Posted July 20 2007 - 06:51 AM

I saw it at Circuit City not too long ago. Don't know if it'll be available on the website though.

Re: the promo films, word is they were going to do it to coincide with the 1 compilation, but Neil Aspinall rejected it as, and I quote, "too obvious."

#15 of 23 OFFLINE   Reggie W

Reggie W

Supporting Actor

• 747 posts

Posted July 23 2007 - 04:20 AM

I've seen it at FYE locations, Borders, and Newbury Comics. Pretty much every FYE store I've been in had it and almost every Borders. I'm in Massachusetts by the way in case that matters. I've seen it for sale as recently as last week. The price is always the same everywhere I've seen it. $29.99, steep for a single disc but it is out of print.

#16 of 23 OFFLINE   buttmunker

buttmunker

Second Unit

• 329 posts

Posted July 23 2007 - 04:37 AM

I went online to Borders.com and checked all the Borders in my area, and none of them have it. Posted Image I crossed my fingers and asked for it to be ordered. Fat chance.

#17 of 23 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,477 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted July 23 2007 - 04:50 AM

There's an excellent book on the making of the film, "Inside the Yellow Submarine." Lots of great inside stuff about the rushed production and all the difficulties. Most of it is made up of actual quotes and interviews, including all four Beatles. There's also some information on the restoration of both the picture and sound.

#18 of 23 OFFLINE   Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd

Screenwriter

• 1,717 posts

Posted July 25 2007 - 06:39 AM

I second the recommendation of the book. It's chock full of information, even if I found it a little unorganized at times. One of our local libraries even has the novelization that came out with the film and has an almost entirely different storyline to the film due to the constant changes to the film up to its release. Fascinating stuff.
---------------------------------------------
Support Film Preservation before it's too late!

#19 of 23 OFFLINE   buttmunker

buttmunker

Second Unit

• 329 posts

Posted July 30 2007 - 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyC
Re: the promo films, word is they were going to do it to coincide with the 1 compilation, but Neil Aspinall rejected it as, and I quote, "too obvious."

Too obvious? I'd have stamped on his foot! What's obvious - that fans want the promo videos intact in one collection? We often expect that a CD compilation might open the floodgates to more merchandise...

Anyway, since I now spent $50+ dollars for Yellow Submarine, I'll betcha it will be re-released soon.

#20 of 23 OFFLINE   Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd

Screenwriter

• 1,717 posts

Posted July 30 2007 - 07:45 AM

Quote:
Anyway, since I now spent $50+ dollars for Yellow Submarine, I'll betcha it will be re-released soon.

If there's one thing you can count on, it's that one never knows when or if Beatles product will get (re)released. Posted Image Although in this case, I'd welcome it. It's a gorgeous film.
Support Film Preservation before it's too late!

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow