Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

HD-DVD Veteran, New to Blu-Ray. A few questions.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper

Screenwriter

• 1,280 posts

Posted July 16 2007 - 08:27 AM

Hello folks, I currently own a Tosh HDA2 for playing HD-DVD's and expect to be going format neutral by the end of the year. I'm trying to research which Blu Ray player to get, and am a bit confused, due to the many choices. My main concerns are that I want to get a player that is fully compliant with the new BD+ specs that are due in October, and that can decode Dolby TrueHD from the player. I don't want to end up getting a player that will be obsolete when the updated October specs come out. Are there any players out now that meet both of these requirements, or should I hold off for a while until all of that settles down?
-Jeff Cooper

"Curse you inspector Dim! You are too clever for us naughty people."

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   dkny75

dkny75

Stunt Coordinator

• 189 posts

Posted July 17 2007 - 04:15 AM

I own an A1 and I'm holding off until the October specs come out. I love special features, commentaries and all that interactive stuff so for me it's important that when I do get into Blu-ray, I have a fully functional player. Patience my friend.

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper

Screenwriter

• 1,280 posts

Posted July 17 2007 - 05:24 AM

From the research I've done so far, it seems that the PS3 would be the route to go if I were to bite now. I'm going to have an HDMI capable reciever (Denon AVR 2807), so the PS3 would be good for Dolby TrueHD via HDMI. The PS3 also seems to be the most capable of handling the new specs via firmware updates, compared to the others. On this note I admit I am going purely off impressions from what i've read, and not stating this as golden fact. The bit of uncertainty would be what makes me hold off for a while.
-Jeff Cooper

"Curse you inspector Dim! You are too clever for us naughty people."

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted July 23 2007 - 05:38 AM

The PS3 should be upgrdable to do everything in the BD spec as updates are released. The only possible thing it might not be able to do is full DTS-HD MA lossless audio decoding, but it's not certain just yet.
Be an Original Aspect Ratio Advocate

Supporter of 1080p24 video and lossless 24 bit audio.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Shane Martin

Shane Martin

Producer

• 6,017 posts

Posted July 23 2007 - 09:53 AM

Hold off if you want a sure thing. Even the Ps3 isn't a sure thing but most people think it will be fine. But remember close only counts on horseshoes and hand grenades Posted Image