What's new

matching series/brand. how important is it? (1 Viewer)

Right now i'm thinking of getting a new receiver....

I have JBL northridge N38 fronts
Polk Audio CS1 center channel
JBL northridge e250p 12" powered subwoofer
Infinity SL30 bookshelf rears

receiver to be either a pioneer or Yamaha

how important would it be to get a JBL northridge center and rears? I feel rears arent that important anyway since they are 'separated' so much from the fronts but I know some feel that the center should be voicematched... the center i have is perfectly capable though when compared to northridge center channels. I dont really wnat to spend the extra cash.. how important is it?

Luis Gabriel Gerena

Second Unit
I agree with Tom...the only thing you need to make sure is YOU are happy so if you like them the way they are then save some $$$.

Regards :)

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
If you're happy with the center and rears you have, don't worry about it.
The reason for timbre matching, is when sounds pan left to right, and front to back. If the speakers don't match, when a pan starts on the left, and goes to the center, the sound can be totally different, then back to the original sound, when it goes from center to right (all in one fluid motion). Same when panning front to rear.
That can sound horrible to some people, because sounds don't do that in real life (change tones in middle of passing by you). If having a different tone like that, doesn't bother you, you're good to go. :)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm in basic agreement. If you have been content up to now, you will continue to be. On the other hand, if you have the opportunity to audition a matched center, with the option to return it, you might do so before buying a new receiver. Just to find out of the money is better spent that way.

I did the same thing. My L/R are so expensive, there is no way I can justify buying a matched center. I tried out several alternatives and found I already owned a pair of Mission bookshelves which matched them to my satisfaction. So, I have been using one of them for my center.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks