What's new

what is a jellicle cat!?!? (1 Viewer)

PeterK

Supporting Actor
alright this just isn't funny anymore. what on earth does jellicle mean? or supposed to mean or refer to??? all these damn Cats websites keep giving me the run around about it!

what a cruel and unusual word!

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
The 'Jellicle Cats' were the cat tribe in CATS! the musical. It doesn't have any other meaning (kinda like Schpidoinkle day or frumious bandersnatch).

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
can't help myself
htf_imgcache_9497.jpeg

htf_imgcache_9498.jpeg

htf_imgcache_9499.jpeg

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Great. Now I'm going to have that song in my head ALL day! :D
The sky is blue and all the leaves are green.
The sun's as warm as a baked potato...

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
....resist........r..r..resiiiist................. ..I THINK I KNOW PRECISELY WHAT I MEAN, WHEN I SAY IT'S A SCHPIDOINKLE DAAAAAAAY!!!!!

hostile17

Auditioning
Real Name
William
I always figured "jellicle" was supposed to bring to mind the word angelical.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Peter:
You would have done better to simply do a Google search or visit Wikipedia than bother searching on cat sites. If you had, you would have found your answer (including the actual origin and meaning of "jellicle") in a couple of mouse clicks:

Timothy Baker

Auditioning
This may or may not be true, but this is a quote from one of Eliot's publishing partner, saying where the word "jellicle" and "pollicle" came from. According to Dr Faber, a retired physicist who is now 74 and lives in Cambridge, Eliot was "a very generous godfather and the subject of great envy by my siblings".
"He was quite a chameleon in many ways; he would be grave or funny as he so desired and could write anything - adopt any mood." Pollicle Dogs was a corruption of "poor little dogs", just as Jellicle Cats are "dear little cats".
An unpublished poem of Eliot's "Pollicle Dogs and Jellicle Cats" was part of the inspiration for Lloyd Webber's Prologue in the musical Cats. For my source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1382102/Now-Lloyd-Webber-puts-Eliots-dogs-to-music.html

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks