Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Keyboard and mouse for Mac?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 14,565 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted July 14 2007 - 12:22 PM

I need a new keyboard and mouse for my Mac. I'm probably returning to my old, wired, Microsoft Natural Keyboard Elite and old skool ball-mouse, Logitech Mouse Man Wheel -- both nearly 10 years old -- because a brand new MS Wireless Laser Keyboard and Mouse simply doesn't work properly and I couldn't find anything else I particuarly liked better. But I'm open to suggestions.

I don't like Apple's keyboard and Mighty Mouse. I prefer an ergo keyboard (split or curved). I wanted Apple-specific (with splat key), but am willing to go Windows now, since Mac-specific is so limited for ergo. The mouse needs bi-directional tilt and forward/backwards buttons (e.g. Microsoft Laser 6000). And my budget is < $100 for the whole kit. And I'm wondering if I should avoid wireless in general, since my brand new one works so poorly here.

My best bet is a $10 PS/2 to USB adapter for my old hardware. (sigh) Posted Image

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin

Producer

• 3,219 posts

Posted July 14 2007 - 12:37 PM

I use a Kensington Si300 Laser Mouse-- it's pretty sensitive, and has a tilting scroll wheel.

edit: oh it only has three buttons. oh well. Anyway, I've found that my "laser" mouse is faster and more accurate than my old "optical" which, in turn, was loads better than my roller ball. Your mac probably has a bluetooth receiver. so that's another possibility.

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 41,037 posts

Posted July 15 2007 - 12:47 AM

Dave,

Not sure if this will help you or not, bit I own the
Logitech Wireless s530 combo.

Coming from a DiNovo wireless combo that was not compatible
with my Mac, I wasn't particularly happy with the s530.

First, it's white. Yuck! Secondly, it's rather lackluster in response.
Third, it seems to make typos now and then. My friend Steve Simon
(on this forum) returned his for that same reason.

Still, I am guessing that it is probably the best combo unit out
there. Certainly rated very high on the Mac forums.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin

Producer

• 3,219 posts

Posted July 15 2007 - 01:07 AM

and microsoft has a mac specific keyboard and mouse here.

Quote:
Navigate with the smooth precision of a High Definition laser mouse, and enjoy technology that lets you work free from wire hassles. Rest your hands naturally on the Comfort Curve keyboard, customized with Mac-specific keys and easily programmable hot keys.

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 14,565 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted July 15 2007 - 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyErwin
and microsoft has a mac specific keyboard and mouse here.
That's the one I'm returning because it doesn't work well: the mouse loses clicks. That keyboard is exactly what I wanted -- nice design, good price, wireless, and Mac specific with the command key. But the wireless system performs very poorly (at least that unit in my house). Checking some more online, it's a 28MHz system and reviews comment on mediocre mouse performance. I'm guessing I've too much interference here. A 2.4 GHz system might work better.

Ron -- I'll keep that in mind. There's a lot I like about that keyboard and mouse kit. And I don't mind white; my last keyboard was white. But I became a fan of ergonomic keyboards in grad school and that's still my first choice.

I've found I can use MS software to swap the Windows and Alt keys on a MS keyboard to make it functionally the same layout as an Apple keyboard -- the Command (Alt) Key next to the space bar. So that gives me additional options.

Unfortunately, the system I really want is $300 and Windows specific Posted Image Or this affordable one if I go non-wireless.

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Mark Booth

Mark Booth

Supporting Actor

• 947 posts

Posted July 15 2007 - 03:45 AM

I use Apple's Wireless (Bluetooth) Keyboard with my Mac Mini. I find it just as responsive as a wired keyboard. I know Apple's mice aren't everyone's favorite, but I also use the Apple Wireless (Bluetooth) Mighty Mouse, which also find just as responsive as the wired version.

BTW, the Mac Mini is my home theater PC. I upgraded it by replacing the 1.66 Core Duo with a 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo. That made it plenty fast enough for running 1080p movie trailers and other HD content on my 70" JVC LCoS! The Mini is in the equipment stand under the JVC and I kick-back in the recliner with the keyboard and mouse! Works great!

Mark

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin

Producer

• 3,219 posts

Posted July 15 2007 - 06:30 AM

erm, it's amazing how many wireless keyboards require windows. And wireless seems the in thing these days.

However. if you can stand a cord, look into reviews of the goldtouch EDIT: Expensive, though. Too expensive.

Forum Nav Content I Follow