What's new

Damages on FX (1 Viewer)

Abby_B

Supporting Actor
What do people think of this new show that's starting on FX in a couple of weeks (July 24th)? I have seen some promos for it and I think it looks amazingly good.

Glenn Close is an awesome actress, and the premise sounds cool. Plus, I will basically watch anything FX does because their shows (and their characters, really) are so good.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I think it looks great. I have yet to see it show up on my tivo listings so I can record it though.

Abby_B

Supporting Actor
The more I see about this show, the more I like it...the promos have totally hooked me...the girl covered in blood, etc.

I can't figure out if Glenn Close's character is a good guy or a bad guy necessarily, though it's an FX show so I guess there's really no such thing (and don't get me wrong, I love that they explore gray areas.) It looks like such a perfect part for her. And I'm really glad to have her back on TV weekly again.

Abby_B

Supporting Actor
Really? That's fantastic news about Close. I've loved her in just about everything I've ever seen her in (and yeah, I even liked her doing Sunset Boulevard years ago.)

The Wall Street Journal seems to like Damages in their mini-review. That article calls Ted Danson's performance "chilling" - I am really curious to see him doing this kind of darker more morally ambiguous role.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
So, did anyone besides me watch this show last week? I thought Glenn Close was outstanding....a completely understated yet powerful performance. I missed the first 10 minutes so I was caught by surprise by the ending before catching it on rerun, but it's going to be interesting to see how they work their way back to tell what transpired.

Good stuff.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I forgot about this. Any chance they'll be airing the first episode again?

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
The first episode has already aired a couple of times. (I caught both the 2nd and 3rd airings on my DVR.) If you have cable you might find it on your provider's video-on-demand service. Or the F/X website may have it available for download. (Or don't they do that sort of thing? I think TNT and TBS do, and USA, but I'm not sure about F/X.) Definitely worth catching up with. I'm amazed that Close has signed for six seasons, because this is one of those serial dramas that I think would be very tough to sustain in terms of quality, tension and believablility over that long a stretch. (Of course, I'm one of those who is surprised that 24 is still with us, so you can't go by me. :))

Anyway, I was very impressed by the pilot and liked the parallel storytelling in the two timelines. (Even though I guessed the identity of the body in the apartment very early on.)

Regards,

Joe

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I liked the pilot as well. Rose Byrne was the main reason for me to tune in, and I hope the show gets a nice run if they can dial up the lengths at which lawyers will go to to win their cases. Gotta love the manueverings and machinations already in motion after just one episode.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I missed the first episode, so unless they're gonna air it again now that the second episode has aired, I guess I'll be waiting for the DVDs. I have Directv (no On Demand) and have no interest in watching online.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Please keep us posted if FX airs an encore. Sometimes they will air like the first 2 or 3 episodes a few weeks into a new show.

Abby_B

Supporting Actor
I know that if you get the MyNetworkTV channel, it's airing the first two episodes again, but somewhat edited for the content that's more FX-appropriate. The pilot episode is also still available for free on iTunes and the second episode is repeating a bunch over the next couple of days, including tonight at 11, tomorrow at 4:30 and again on Saturday and Sunday - the official site has a list of all the encore airings on it.

In short, I LOVE this show. Glenn Close is flat-out amazing, and I was totally surprised by how good Ted Danson's been too - in the second episode especially he was outstanding. I love that all the characters are so complicated and the motives so murky, I don't know who we are supposed to believe or trust. I have no idea who the "good guys" are, or if there are even good guys, because everyone is lying and double crossing one another.

I wonder what the history between Frobisher and Patty Hewes really is? There has got to be more going on there than just this case.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
FX is re-airing the pilot on Saturday afternoon at 3:00 pm.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
This one of the few shows in the summer where I'm actively looking forward to the next episode after the current episode is finished.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Recorded the pilot and the 2nd episode, they were on this afternoon at 3:00pm and 4:05 respectively.

When do new episodes air?

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Fantastic show. The best part is that I don't know where its going,

New episodes air Tuesdays at 10 PM (ET) Adjust as necessary depending on where you live and which feed your cable or satellite provider carries.

This week they're listing encores as follows (all times ET/PT) I don't know if the show airs at all these times every week or not:

Wednesday 11:00 PM
Thursday 4:30 PM
Friday Midnight
Saturday 4:00 PM
Sunday 10:00 PM
Monday 11:00 PM

Regards,

Joe

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
BTW I think the most interesting question raised in the series so far is the one Hollis Nye asks Ellen in the police station: "Why did you call me? Why didn't you call Patty?"

The answer to that question would contain the answer to many others. (Like, did Ellen kill David? Does she know who did? Does she not know if she can trust Patty at this point? Or is she sure she can't? If not for the fact that she's the star and has reportedly already signed a multi-year contract, I'd even wonder if Patty is still alive when Ellen is brought into the police station - that's how off-balance this show has me because they clearly aren't afraid to kill anybody for the sake of the story.)

Right now, of course, I'm wondering what's in that box that Patty is going to get next week. (And since I saw a semi-spoiler on the show's official site, I'm having very dark thoughts about one particular character.)

Joe

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Actually, it looks like right after it airs on Tuesday at 10, it replays Tues at 11 as well. Which works for me because I record Eureka, then can switch DVD's and record Damages.

Abby_B

Supporting Actor

I had the exact same thought, about potential dangers to Patty, but I think there's SO much story still out there for her character that I don't think that would happen. But it is a testament to the show's ability to make me believe that really, ANYthing can happen. I love it.

My best guess is that Ellen doesn't know who she can trust, and we've already seen that the only person she thinks she can talk to at all is Hollis Nye, and they've established they have a friendship/relationship with some history. Maybe Ellen is afraid of Patty by this point?

I mean, I still can't even decide whether or not I think Ellen killed David or not. I go back and forth on it a lot. I think that there's a good chance that it's a red herring, Ellen standing with the bloody murder weapon, however I also think there's at least an equal chance that David was hiding some big secret that we don't know about yet, or might have some enemies of his own. Thoughts?

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
A TV critic writing about the show raised an interesting question about Glenn Close: "What is it with this woman and pets?" :)

Regards,

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks