Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

CONFIRMED: Alien films coming in 2010 to Blu-ray

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
259 replies to this topic

#1 of 260 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,222 posts

Posted July 09 2007 - 09:48 PM

http://www.thedigita...ill.html#070907

"Also today, our industry sources have sent us word that Fox is quietly planning to release at least some of the Alien films on Blu-ray Disc in 2008."

This would make sense, considering the fan base for these movies (well, at least with 1-2..). I believe "Alien" and "Aliens" are one of those movies, where some people just have to buy that "OTHER format"... Posted Image (for the record, there are similar titles in the HD DVD-camp, no doubt).

It´s also interesting to see that are there any new stuff when it comes to extras, are both versions (theatrical/dir.cut) released, etc. Both Scott and Cameron at least should be pleased that their films will be released on HD, so they might just contribute to the new extras. Just speculating of course..

#2 of 260 OFFLINE   ppltd

ppltd

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted July 09 2007 - 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jari K
Interesting news of titles I would very much like in High Def. But as this is Fox, I don't think I will get too excited until it is actually announced (and released).
Thomas Eisenmann(Last updated 09/30/11)

Blu-Ray Collection  DVD Collection, Numerous BD players,

LG 55LX6500 55-Inch 3D 1080p 240 Hz LED

Pioneer VSX-94TXH, Panasonic PT-AE7000U 3D 1080p (PT-AE8000 Just Ordered, 

1124 BDs and going up, 1028 - DVDs and going down.

#3 of 260 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted July 09 2007 - 11:20 PM

Fox has to actually start releasing titles again for me to get the least bit interested in these rumors. They have a whole ton of promised titles to get caught up on first.

However, when these do get released:

1. They should contain both versions of the films. If not then they better be the theatrical cut of Alien and the DC of Aliens otherwise I'll pass.

2. They should at the very least contain all the bonus material from the SD's.

Also I'd be surprised if they didn't go the quadrology route.
Death before Streaming!

#4 of 260 OFFLINE   Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,523 posts

Posted July 10 2007 - 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_K
Fox has to actually start releasing titles again for me to get the least bit interested in these rumors. They have a whole ton of promised titles to get caught up on first.

My thoughts exactly. Release what was announced and then I'll think about what might be announced.
DVD & Blu-ray - It's all about the movies!

#5 of 260 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted July 10 2007 - 02:43 AM

There's actually something very noteworthy buried in an AVS Forum thread on this very subject. There an "insider" with a rather dubious record responded to a request to ask his "Fox rep." about that studio's release approach to HDM by saying:

Quote:
Believe me I have asked many times about this issue. She tells me that first of all Sony is really applying the pressure on Fox to get back in the game. Second Fox has waited on the BD+ technology and now are taking a somewhat "wait-and-see" approach to BD+. They will release their larger Day/Date releases on Blu-ray over the next couple of months and monitor the success/failure of BD+. If all goes well they will release more catalog titles later this year.

The obvious question is what happens when/if BD+ fails? Does Fox, and consquently MGM, take their marbles and go home? It is sure starting to sound that way. As a BD supporter, it pains me to say that those that use the Divx and DVD comparison when referring to Fox are spot on. While I do not understand the logic in releasing day-and-date titles that would argueably have more appeal to pirates than catalog titles, I can easily see Fox/MGM sitting out of HDM altogether if BD+ fails until there's more market penetration. Unfortunately, by sitting out, Fox/MGM only serve to prolong the format war and hurt adoption.

It is my opinion that Fox/MGM would significantly hurt BD's advantage in content over HD DVD by doing this and virtually deadlock this war. At that point, the only saving grace would be Cees' dual-format players. I still don't think dual-format players would get near the adoption rates of a single format though. I think it will forever "doom" these product to "Laserdisc" in the minds of the average consumer, which would ultimately just delay Fox/MGM's permanent entry into HDM.
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#6 of 260 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted July 10 2007 - 02:55 AM

Yeah I read AVS from time to time and I know who you're talking about. I take those "insights" of his with a 55 gallon drum of salt.

If this is true then the earliest we'd see a Fox title (day/date) is probably Sept/Oct, then a few months to see if it gets cracked. If it doesn't then we're into Q1 and nobody releases much catalog titles of any worth. So best case scenario is they release some of their catalog titles in April/May 08 or they may hold off until Q3/Q4 08.

Not a pretty scenario to me.
Death before Streaming!

#7 of 260 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted July 10 2007 - 03:32 AM

I'm eager for these titles in HD, and this rumor gives me hope... but similarly I'll wait to go full-throttle-excited when I hear an official announcement.

ANY release-announcement from FOX right now would excite me, actually.

Posted Image
Be an Original Aspect Ratio Advocate

Supporter of 1080p24 video and lossless 24 bit audio.

#8 of 260 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,222 posts

Posted July 10 2007 - 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet
ANY release-announcement from FOX right now would excite me, actually.

Hear, hear. I´m sure that they must be around the corner... Posted Image

#9 of 260 OFFLINE   Jordan_E

Jordan_E

Screenwriter

• 2,233 posts

Posted July 10 2007 - 04:25 AM

Fox has gone from probably my favorite studio to my most hated. The potential, the wait, the frustration...
I mean, who the heck is running their home video division?
And you believe, at heart, everyone's a killer...

#10 of 260 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted July 10 2007 - 04:31 AM

Quote:
Fox has gone from probably my favorite studio to my most hated. The potential, the wait, the frustration...

Apparently someone who's been waiting for BD+ security.

#11 of 260 OFFLINE   ppltd

ppltd

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted July 10 2007 - 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan_E
Universal's VP of Home Video Marketing.Posted Image It is a backend approach of crippling BD.
Thomas Eisenmann(Last updated 09/30/11)

Blu-Ray Collection  DVD Collection, Numerous BD players,

LG 55LX6500 55-Inch 3D 1080p 240 Hz LED

Pioneer VSX-94TXH, Panasonic PT-AE7000U 3D 1080p (PT-AE8000 Just Ordered, 

1124 BDs and going up, 1028 - DVDs and going down.

#12 of 260 OFFLINE   Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair

Producer

• 3,320 posts

Posted July 10 2007 - 07:46 AM

Wonder if the BD will have EE?
Movies are: "The Greatest Artform".
HD should be for EVERYONE!

#13 of 260 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted July 10 2007 - 07:54 AM

Ed,

what's the angle? Weren't the last round of Aliens DVDs pretty good? Or was EE a problem? I bought the latest "Aliens" on DVD and thought it looked pretty good (for SD).

#14 of 260 OFFLINE   Jordan_E

Jordan_E

Screenwriter

• 2,233 posts

Posted July 10 2007 - 07:56 AM

Quote:
Apparently someone who's been waiting for BD+ security.

And now waiting for it to be cracked? Well, at least France is getting something announced...
And you believe, at heart, everyone's a killer...

#15 of 260 OFFLINE   Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair

Producer

• 3,320 posts

Posted July 10 2007 - 08:12 AM

Quote:
Ed,

what's the angle? Weren't the last round of Aliens DVDs pretty good? Or was EE a problem? I bought the latest "Aliens" on DVD and thought it looked pretty good (for SD).
Stunning color (or colour ;-) )!!!
Best yellow EVER!!!
Butt yeah, EE raised its ugly head: flatten the picture a bit, halo's smeared details, & made the look a touch harder (less film-like).

Looks fantastic next to the murky/drab original release (which I still keep for the alternate soundtrack).

EDitEDbyED:
Maybe I should clarify I'm posting 'bout "ALIEN"! ;-)
Movies are: "The Greatest Artform".
HD should be for EVERYONE!

#16 of 260 OFFLINE   ErichH

ErichH

Screenwriter

• 1,167 posts

Posted July 10 2007 - 08:25 AM

A BD of Quadrilogy would be great.

#17 of 260 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted July 10 2007 - 08:34 AM

Ed,

I think that the D-VHS was considered "reference" for Alien so I wouldn't worry about the BD.

#18 of 260 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted July 10 2007 - 08:38 AM

on my old XGA DLP pj, the newest edition of Alien looked sensational. I was hard pressed to find any other widescreen dvd that looked as good...especially for a film from the late 70s.
On the Pearl, it doesn't look quite as impressive for some reason- still very good, but a bit grittier.
I only hope that when this title is released in HD, that it is- at the very least- the theatrical cut and not the DC- like DTheater fans got.
If I have to wait a year, just to get disappointed all over again, that's really gonna suck.

I don't care what anyone says, or what developments occur- I still think all this BD+ business is just a way for Fox to stall producing content until the number of adopters increases to (to them) an acceptable base level.
Convienently that might happen after the second Christmas selling season, so ...whad y'know...we're at the end of Q1, begining of Q2 '08 anyway.

funny how those things work out.

#19 of 260 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted July 10 2007 - 08:44 AM

Quote:
I don't care what anyone says, or what developments occur- I still think all this BD+ business is just a way for Fox to stall producing content until the number of adopters increases to (to them) an acceptable base level.

I am in complete agreement with you here. In fact, as I typed my response above, I thought to myself, "Oh, my God I 'sound' like Paul_Scott". Posted Image
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#20 of 260 OFFLINE   Nick Graham

Nick Graham

Screenwriter

• 1,409 posts

Posted July 10 2007 - 09:00 AM

Hopefully they can get Jim Cameron to approve a new transfer for Aliens. That was the only real sore spot on the Quadrilogy (aside from the censored/hacked Alien 3 docs - maybe they can get a new lease on life??).

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow