-

Photo
- - - - -

Smashing Pumpkins "Zeitgeist" 7/10

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#1 of 29 OFFLINE   Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted July 09 2007 - 08:05 AM

Anyone interested in this one? I, er, obtained a copy of this a few days ago...it's not on par with Siamese Dream or Mellon Collie, but it's pretty good. I'd give it 3 out of 5 stars. I just wish Mr. Corgan would get out of that "all that I wanna hear is midrange-y guitar tones" phase. The way some of his stuff is mixed sounds like one big, distorted mess.
"Music is a magic carpet loaded with oils and other soothing potions, it's just what you need when you don't know what you need, when you've got more questions than answers." - Bob Lefsetz

#2 of 29 OFFLINE   Jean D

Jean D

Screenwriter

• 1,329 posts

Posted July 10 2007 - 06:13 AM

Yeah I got this too. its alright. is it me or are the vocals very loud, they drown out the rest of the stuff. I wish he would write more stuff like Soma, Mayonaise and Hummer.

Ron, I have a TON of pumpkins stuff. if interested, pm me.
Gear: Crestron AADS, Crestron 4L, RTI T2C, SVS PC 16-46, Xbox 360, Wii, Bass Shakers, TiVo HD, Toshiba A3 HD-DVD, 42" Panasonic TH-42PWD8UK, two Denon AVR-2106's, Speaker Craft Aim 7 Five's, Samsung HD-950 DVD player.

#3 of 29 OFFLINE   JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,793 posts

Posted July 10 2007 - 06:35 AM

No James or Darcy, why even call it Smashing Pumpkins?

I have liked what little Ive heard (I was one of the few who liked Zwan), and Im glad that the industrial techno whatever stuff seems to be gone.

Ill pick it up this week.

#4 of 29 OFFLINE   Jean D

Jean D

Screenwriter

• 1,329 posts

Posted July 10 2007 - 06:57 AM

I am actually a fan of Adore and Machina. Machina II stuff wasnt that great but the song "Dross" from Machina II kicks ass. Zwan stuff and Billy's solo cd Im not impressed with. I have to admit I wish James Iha would come back. A Perfect Circle is on hiatus I think. maybe the boredom will get to him.
Gear: Crestron AADS, Crestron 4L, RTI T2C, SVS PC 16-46, Xbox 360, Wii, Bass Shakers, TiVo HD, Toshiba A3 HD-DVD, 42" Panasonic TH-42PWD8UK, two Denon AVR-2106's, Speaker Craft Aim 7 Five's, Samsung HD-950 DVD player.

#5 of 29 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,000 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted July 10 2007 - 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonZ
No James or Darcy, why even call it Smashing Pumpkins?
That was my initial thought too but aside from the obvious (calling it Smashing Pumpkins sells more records), isn't Corgan the major creative force of the band?

#6 of 29 OFFLINE   BrettGallman

BrettGallman

Screenwriter

• 1,392 posts

Posted July 10 2007 - 03:03 PM

Corgan pretty much is the band. Only a handful of songs had any input from Iha, not to mention that Siamese Dream is essentially all BC and Jimmy Chamberlin. I still wish James and D'arcy were there though; it was weird seeing other people on stage in their place last week.

As for Zeitgeist, I really enjoy it, but, then again, I'm one of the few people on the planet who considers Adore (which is neither industrial nor techno) the best Pumpkins album. I really liked Zwan, too, and I didn't think The Future Embrace was the worst thing in the world, either.

Major Pumpkins Fanboy,

Brett
Oh, the Horror - Horror Reviews from All Decades and All Sub-Genres!
Balls Academy -  Your Alma mater for teen films, raunchy, low-brow comedies, sexploitation & coming of age dramas.
Other recent reviews: Super | Thor Tobacco RoadSource Code | Sucker Punch |

#7 of 29 OFFLINE   Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted July 11 2007 - 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean D
Yeah I got this too. its alright. is it me or are the vocals very loud, they drown out the rest of the stuff. I wish he would write more stuff like Soma, Mayonaise and Hummer.

Ron, I have a TON of pumpkins stuff. if interested, pm me.

It's not you, they are mixed loud. He also doesn't treat his vocals with that effect that he used to use. To me, he sounds more nasally now w/o it.

Jean, I actually found a few sites the other day that were like hitting the motherload, so I'm good for a while. Thanks for the offer though! Posted Image

Quote:
I am actually a fan of Adore and Machina. Machina II stuff wasnt that great but the song "Dross" from Machina II kicks ass. Zwan stuff and Billy's solo cd Im not impressed with. I have to admit I wish James Iha would come back. A Perfect Circle is on hiatus I think. maybe the boredom will get to him.

I doubt it...he's staying pretty busy with his record label (with one of the guys from Fountains of Wayne I believe) and producing duties. I think he just produced America's recent comeback CD.
"Music is a magic carpet loaded with oils and other soothing potions, it's just what you need when you don't know what you need, when you've got more questions than answers." - Bob Lefsetz

#8 of 29 OFFLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,235 posts

Posted July 11 2007 - 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettGallman
Corgan pretty much is the band.

Yeah, in terms of creative input, but there comes a point when you have to wonder what makes a band a band? I mean, Corgan's the only constant in SP over the years - Chamberlin, D'Arcy and Iha have all come and gone. Now it's just BC and JC - how is that different than Zwan?

Anyway, I don't have the new album yet, but I saw SP last night at the 9:30 in DC. Up and down show, partially because I don't know the new stuff and it dominated. Oh, they still did plenty of old tracks, but I didn't recognize more than I did.

LONG, LONG show - it became a real endurance test, to be honest. I mean, I admire the fact that Billy gives fans good value for their money, and I think a three-hour show for $30 qualifies. However, it became very self-indulgent at times, and the club was only about 1/2-full by the end. (Or maybe 2/3rds - hard to tell, but a lot of folks had definitely left.)

Anyway, I hope when SP come to town again, it's someplace with SEATS. After standing in one spot for four hours, I hurt! Posted Image
Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#9 of 29 OFFLINE   BrettGallman

BrettGallman

Screenwriter

• 1,392 posts

Posted July 11 2007 - 05:55 AM

Oh, I agree that, without James and D'arcy, something is definately missing. I was just backing up the point that it's pretty much always been Billy's thing in terms of creativity. I think he just has a comfort level with using the SP name or something. Like I said, it's weird seeing someone else in place of D'arcy and James.

Colin, the show you went to sounded like the one I attended last week at the Orange Peel. The setlists were similar, too, except I was already somewhat familiar with the new stuff because I had been listening to concert recordings. My feet were killing me by the end, too, but the place was still jam-packed and we were begging for even more after 3+ hours. There is going to be a fall tour, so I'm hoping for some seated venues as well. The hardest part was standing there for two hours before the concert even started. With seats, that wouldn't be a problem.
Oh, the Horror - Horror Reviews from All Decades and All Sub-Genres!
Balls Academy -  Your Alma mater for teen films, raunchy, low-brow comedies, sexploitation & coming of age dramas.
Other recent reviews: Super | Thor Tobacco RoadSource Code | Sucker Punch |

#10 of 29 OFFLINE   StevenW

StevenW

Second Unit

• 363 posts

Posted July 11 2007 - 08:58 AM

Quote:

From what I've read A Perfect Circle is on a permanent hiatus according to Maynard.

#11 of 29 OFFLINE   JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,793 posts

Posted July 12 2007 - 01:27 AM

"Now it's just BC and JC - how is that different than Zwan?"

Yea that was pretty much my point.

#12 of 29 OFFLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,235 posts

Posted July 12 2007 - 10:54 AM

Comments from the Washington Post echoed my own thoughts:

"A truly excruciating 20-minute unreleased jam called "Gossamer," which for some reason was saved for the second encore and sent a good third of the audience scurrying for the exits."

That nails it. "Gossamer" was really, really painful. During the interminable keyboard solo, a woman behind me said "this is like being in church, but not in a good way"...
Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#13 of 29 OFFLINE   Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown

Producer

• 5,713 posts

Posted July 12 2007 - 12:27 PM

Anyone know? Best Buy's version has an extra track, and so does Target (or CC, can't remember which), is it the same track?

BB's is Death from Above (I think; I got it today at lunch).
If it's not worth waiting until the last minute to do, then it's not worth doing.

KevinVision 7.1 ...

#14 of 29 OFFLINE   Miller Time

Miller Time

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted July 12 2007 - 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin C Brown
Anyone know? Best Buy's version has an extra track, and so does Target (or CC, can't remember which), is it the same track?

BB's is Death from Above (I think; I got it today at lunch).

Target's extra track is the title track "Zeitgeist". This is a number with just Billy's voice and acoustic guitar. A much better song than DFA in my opinion.
Also, the itunes exclusive is "Stellar" a more atmospheric, spacey song, unsurprisingly. Also better than DFA, but I guess it depends on what type of stuff you like out of your Pumpkins.
Either way, I wish I had gotten the Target version instead of the Best Buy.

#15 of 29 OFFLINE   Jonathon M

Jonathon M

Stunt Coordinator

• 217 posts

Posted July 13 2007 - 07:26 AM

Well in australia, besides the poor quality of iTunes, we get the basic version. no nice packaging ala the special edition, no bonus tracks on CD.

im downloading a lossless version now to tide me over until my special edition from amazon arrives, and even then i'm keeping hold of the two lossless bonus tracks i've procured. and this is coming from a huge pumpkins fan who was nearly tempted not to buy it at all because of all the bonus track bullshit, but the book version is too nice to pass up.

#16 of 29 OFFLINE   Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown

Producer

• 5,713 posts

Posted July 13 2007 - 01:13 PM

Quote:
A much better song than DFA in my opinion.

Crap. Posted Image Now I have to go get the Target disc.
If it's not worth waiting until the last minute to do, then it's not worth doing.

KevinVision 7.1 ...

#17 of 29 OFFLINE   Jean D

Jean D

Screenwriter

• 1,329 posts

Posted July 13 2007 - 10:45 PM

for one song? crazy. wait a month or so and buy it used.

#18 of 29 OFFLINE   Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown

Producer

• 5,713 posts

Posted July 14 2007 - 08:28 AM

For a specialty disc like this, the price might actually go up. Posted Image But your point is well taken.

I'm listening to the disc now. I like it more than I thought I would, to be honest.

KevinVision 7.1 ...

#19 of 29 OFFLINE   Jean D

Jean D

Screenwriter

• 1,329 posts

Posted July 14 2007 - 08:50 AM

I've been listening to it w/ one ear bud all day today in the background while I talk to customers. It's ok, so far I like "Bleeding the Orchid", it reminds me of another SP song, but I cant think of it right now. something off of MCIS though.

#20 of 29 OFFLINE   Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted July 15 2007 - 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time
Target's extra track is the title track "Zeitgeist". This is a number with just Billy's voice and acoustic guitar. A much better song than DFA in my opinion.
Also, the itunes exclusive is "Stellar" a more atmospheric, spacey song, unsurprisingly. Also better than DFA, but I guess it depends on what type of stuff you like out of your Pumpkins.
Either way, I wish I had gotten the Target version instead of the Best Buy.

It really pisses me off when they do this. I'd rather they give you access to a website where you can hear all the possible bonus tracks and then choose the one you like rather then have no idea and get whatever one comes with the retailer you bought it at.

Back to Music & Soundtracks

Forum Nav Content I Follow