-

Photo
- - - - -

HD XA1 for $300 - good deal or not?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Dave>h

Dave>h

Second Unit

• 371 posts

Posted July 09 2007 - 05:47 AM

HI,
I have a chance to pick up an XA1 for $300. Apparently the door that hides the tray no longer closes on its own (his kid broke it) but it will still close manually.

I already have an A1 but thought the XA1 might be a good addition for my bedroom TV (although the TV has only component in so I am not sure if I can upconvert regular DVD via component on this machine.).

Thoughts please.

Thanks,

Dave

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Bob_L

Bob_L

Supporting Actor

• 893 posts

Posted July 09 2007 - 06:36 AM

With the A2 so cheap, why bother with a used, broken XA1 (if you don't need the analog outs)?

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Robert_Zohn

Robert_Zohn

Stunt Coordinator

• 181 posts
  • LocationScarsdale, NY

Posted July 09 2007 - 10:19 AM

Dave, I agree with Bob L. However, if you want the XA1 because of the 5.1 analog outputs or excellent build quality consider buying a new XA1 as they are available for $300 brand new.

-Robert

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Dave>h

Dave>h

Second Unit

• 371 posts

Posted July 13 2007 - 01:16 AM

Managed to convince him to sell it for $200, which given the build quality of the machine, is a good deal in Bermuda.

Can anyone tell me if I will be able to watch upconverted SD via component from this machine? AS I recall, only disks that are not copy protected can be upconverted via component but I am not sure if that is true.

Thanks,

Dave

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Robert_Zohn

Robert_Zohn

Stunt Coordinator

• 181 posts
  • LocationScarsdale, NY

Posted July 13 2007 - 12:05 PM

Dave, Sorry to say you are correct, no up-converting of SD DVD through the component video output.

Enjoy the HD DVD player!

-Robert

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Dave>h

Dave>h

Second Unit

• 371 posts

Posted July 15 2007 - 05:33 AM

I recently saw a cable that did HDMI to Component (i assume it was to output HDMI to component in) Would that get around the DRM that precludes upconverted SD DVD through component? Or is there some sort of handshake via HDMI that must occur before the player lets up converted images to be output via HDMI?

Just curious as I can't see the point of that cord otherwise, unless there is some sort of High Def system that output via component and someone had an HDMI display and that was how they wanted to connect it. Although why you wouldn't just go component to component, I don't know, Would have thought that the pq would be the same.

Dave

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Dave>h

Dave>h

Second Unit

• 371 posts

Posted July 16 2007 - 02:07 AM

Guess I spoke too soon.

The guy I was supposed to buy from backed out of the deal. So much for a contract...

Oh well, guess there will only be one HD DVD player in my house instead of two.

I guess I can wait for a decently priced combo player or a decently priced HD DVD with analog 5.1 outs.

Dave