Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

WHV Press Release: Troy: Director's Cut (DVD, HD-DVD, Blu-Ray)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 of 16 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,067 posts

Posted July 09 2007 - 04:02 AM

"««««! Stunning, raging excitement and visual grandeur." – Michael Wilmington, Chicago Tribune WOLFGANG PETERSEN’S NEW GRAPHIC, UNRATED VERSION OF HIS EPIC MASTERPIECE AVAILABLE FOR THE FIRST TIME TROY DIRECTOR’S CUT DEBUTS ON A TWO-DISC DVD, UCE, HD AND BLU-RAY FROM WARNER HOME VIDEO SEPTEMBER 18 Burbank, CA, July 10, 2007 – On September 18, Warner Home Video will debut Wolfgang Petersen’s all-new, unrated version -- not seen in theatres -- of his epic film Troy. With 30 minutes of new footage, Troy Director’s Cut, including special features from its first DVD release, will be available in collectible O-sleeve packaging and will sell for $20.97 SRP. HD DVD and Blu-ray disc versions will debut simultaneously at $34.99 SRP. Also offered will be the Troy Ultimate Collector’s Edition ($39.92 SRP), which will include collectible memorabilia such as “The Art of Troy” photo book, behind-the-scenes photos and select pages from the shooting script of the Academy Award® -nominated director (The Perfect Storm, Outbreak, In the Line of Fire, Das Boot). Orders are due for all August 14. “The raw power of Homer, the sex, the brutality and the uncompromising battles really come to life in this version," says Petersen. “We went back to the way I first envisioned the film, when the full energy and impact of each scene had time to play out. Now, with great new visuals and sound design, audiences are going to have a deeper emotional experience of this literary classic. Thanks to Warner Home Video for giving me the opportunity to restore the creative integrity of my original vision.” Oscar® nominee Brad Pitt (Ocean’s Thirteen, Twelve Monkeys) brings a dynamic, brooding presence to the role of Greek warrior Achilles in this spectacular retelling of The Iliad. Orlando Bloom (Pirates of the Caribbean) and Diane Kruger (National Treasure) play the legendary lovers who plunge the world into war, Eric Bana (Munich, Lucky You) portrays the prince who dares to confront Achilles and Peter O’Toole (Venus) rules Troy as King Priam. Director Wolfgang Petersen recreates a long-ago world of warship flotillas, clashing armies, a massive fortress city and the towering Trojan Horse. Also starring are Brian Cox (Zodiac), Sean Bean (Lord of the Rings trilogy) and Brendan Gleeson (Harry Potter series). DVD SPECIAL FEATURES Disc One Feature Film Troy Revisited: An Introduction by Wolfgang Petersen Disc Two Troy in Focus In The Thick of the Battle: Discovering how Troy's epic battle sequences were created, from thousands of warrior-extras training in the scorching heat of Mexico, to fierce one-on-one duels to the death From Ruins to Reality: Exploring how the ruins of ancient Troy were unearthed and how Troy’s production design magicians created their own version of this breathtaking, legendary city Troy: An Effects Odyssey: Secrets of Troy’s stunning visual effects are revealed, from conjuring a staggering 1,000 ship armada on the open seas, to producing the bone crunching sound effects of brutal ancient warfare Attacking Troy Greek Ship Towing Theatrical Trailer With operations in 90 international territories, Warner Home Video, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company, commands the largest distribution infrastructure in the global video marketplace. Warner Home Video's film library is the largest of any studio, offering top quality new and vintage titles from the repertoires of Warner Bros. Pictures, Turner Entertainment, Castle Rock Entertainment, HBO Home Video and New Line Home Entertainment. Troy Director’s Cut Two Disc Standard DVD $20.97 SRP Troy Ultimate Collector’s Edition $39.92 SRP HD-BD Pricing: $34.99 SRP Running Time: 192 minutes 16x9 Widescreen, Color English, French, Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 16 OFFLINE   donnie_d

donnie_d

Stunt Coordinator

• 179 posts

Posted July 09 2007 - 05:00 AM

LOL,so Troy is a masterpiece now? OK. but hey! i think it's NOT fair they do an ultimate set for this junk and not Alexander. warner,release a 5-disc set Alexander collcetion,please.thanx.

#3 of 16 OFFLINE   Mike_Richardson

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor

• 639 posts

Posted July 09 2007 - 05:42 AM

Personally I think ALEXANDER was a LOT closer to being "junk" than TROY.

#4 of 16 OFFLINE   Jordan_E

Jordan_E

Screenwriter

• 2,233 posts

Posted July 09 2007 - 07:17 AM

If this includes an additional 15-20 minutes of Brad's ass, count me out! Rented Troy on HD DVD a while back and it's going to take a lot for me to consider even watching the extended version.
And you believe, at heart, everyone's a killer...

#5 of 16 OFFLINE   Thomas T

Thomas T

Screenwriter

• 2,441 posts

Posted July 09 2007 - 08:17 AM

If they had included Gabriel Yared's original score before Petersen junked it in favor of Hans Zimmer, I might have bitten. As it stands ... I'll pass.

#6 of 16 OFFLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,117 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted July 09 2007 - 08:19 AM

Wow! So there is at least one "Alexander" fan who is demanding the elusive "quadruple dip". That's dedication! Posted Image

Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#7 of 16 OFFLINE   Shawn_KE

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter

• 1,295 posts

Posted July 09 2007 - 09:03 AM

Hmmmm extended versions of Brad Pitt and Eric Bana killing people or extended versions of Colin Farrell snuggling with guys. I'll take more killing please!

#8 of 16 OFFLINE   Nicholas Martin

Nicholas Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,683 posts

Posted July 09 2007 - 09:39 AM

Wasn't Zimmer, it was everyone's favorite composer to hate whose name should be more than obvious to anyone by this description. Plus, the movie would probably have played out a bit too hokey with it. Good music, bad film music. Happens all the time. The replacement score was loud as hell, massively bombastic. Over-the-top, but harder and more seriously so. I am seriously interested in what those additional scenes are too, as it can't ONLY be more of Achilles' glutes and abs. The movie was a big yet fun action experience, but not really an epic.

#9 of 16 OFFLINE   Thomas T

Thomas T

Screenwriter

• 2,441 posts

Posted July 09 2007 - 11:05 AM

Oh right, James Horner, not Zimmer. Still, I'll take Yared.

#10 of 16 OFFLINE   Jace_A

Jace_A

Second Unit

• 293 posts

Posted July 09 2007 - 12:18 PM

Just buy the three different versions of Alexander already released on DVD. It only took Stone three attempts to get it right (if you can call what we ended up with 'getting it right'). There's your 5 discs right there.

#11 of 16 OFFLINE   JasonKZ

JasonKZ

Stunt Coordinator

• 191 posts

Posted July 09 2007 - 02:13 PM

"...including special features from its first DVD release..." So, they make it sound like all the features from the original disc are coming forward, plus Troy Revisited: An Introduction by Wolfgang Petersen, Attacking Troy, and Greek Ship Towing. Not sure what is on my bestbuy.com bonus disc from the first release because I haven't opened it yet...........

#12 of 16 OFFLINE   Opi

Opi

Stunt Coordinator

• 135 posts

Posted July 10 2007 - 12:16 AM

What the heck is "O-sleeve packaging" ?
This is the result of my addiction
--> http://www.invelos.c...ection.aspx/Opi

#13 of 16 OFFLINE   Nicholas Martin

Nicholas Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,683 posts

Posted July 10 2007 - 04:27 AM

Isn't that a slipcover with an outside flap with info on it?

#14 of 16 OFFLINE   TomWoodward

TomWoodward

Second Unit

• 358 posts

Posted July 10 2007 - 06:16 AM

I've added a number of package shots for the US release here:

http://www.dvdactive...ases/troy8.html
Tom Woodward
DVDActive.com

#15 of 16 OFFLINE   captainjoe

captainjoe

Stunt Coordinator

• 168 posts

Posted July 10 2007 - 07:13 AM

So Troy is the first high definition double-dip.

#16 of 16 OFFLINE   CoreyII

CoreyII

Second Unit

• 474 posts

Posted July 20 2007 - 01:00 PM

I will more than likely buy the director's cut. I always got a kick out of Troy and wasn't as hard on the film as other forum members. I liked Pitt's performance as Achilles, as I have mentioned before, I would have loved to have seen Anakin Skywalker portrayed in the same manner. By the way, that statement wasn't meant to be a knock on Hayden Christensen's performance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users