Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

PS3 Price Drop - $499

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#21 of 61 Lin Park

Lin Park

Second Unit

• 289 posts

Posted July 09 2007 - 11:33 PM

Looks like Amazon has jumped the gun ... they are also throwing in a remote and a free movie ... quite tempting.

#22 of 61 Jari K

Jari K

Screenwriter

• 2,968 posts

Posted July 09 2007 - 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin Park
Looks like Amazon has jumped the gun ... they are also throwing in a remote and a free movie ... quite tempting.

Pretty sweet deal. Quality Blu-ray-player (24fps, HDMI 1.3, upscaling, etc) and game console for that price is not bad at all. PS3 sales will definitely go up. I hope that the Europe will follow soon.

#23 of 61 ppltd

ppltd

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted July 10 2007 - 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Arnette
You expect MS to cut the price of the XBOX 360 Elite when its only been released for less than two months?
I would expect MS to cut the price of the 360 that has been out for over 18 months. As far as the elite goes, a fairly limited production system, and certainly not the main selling 360, I would expect that will also have to have some price adjustments. With the new 65nm chip sets beginning production for the 360, it seems like perfect timing for MS.

But I would not expect to see it immediatly. I think MS will sit back a month or so and watch the sales figures of the PS3 and 360 before announcing price reductions.
Thomas Eisenmann(Last updated 09/30/11)

Blu-Ray Collection  DVD Collection, Numerous BD players,

LG 55LX6500 55-Inch 3D 1080p 240 Hz LED

Pioneer VSX-94TXH, Panasonic PT-AE7000U 3D 1080p (PT-AE8000 Just Ordered, 

1124 BDs and going up, 1028 - DVDs and going down.

#24 of 61 ppltd

ppltd

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted July 10 2007 - 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan^H
The Xbox 360 is not dropping it's price. If there is a price drop, it won't be for a long time.
Sorry, I don't buy it. 18 months into the life of a system is about right for a price reduction, and the costs cuts that have been made in producing the 360, along with the cheaper per unit 65nm chips will allow MS to reduce the price without suffering much in the way of additional losses. If the Sony price reduction improved the sales drastically (which I personnaly doubt), than MS will have to follow. Welcome to the world of competition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan^H
Sony dropped it's price, because it had to. I work in retail, and we have had the same 6 PS3's since January. The systems were simply not selling, and my local EB had the same experience. There was almost a stigma attached to buying a PS3 because most hardcore gamers knew something drastic was going to happen, and presto here it is. I'm so happy that Sony realized that something had to done. Now they can start selling all the systems that have been collecting dust since Christmas.
I hope you do move your existing stock, but I just don't see how a 100.00 price drop, still leaving the PS3 at a hundred dollars over the 360, and 250.00 dollars over the Wii is going to do a lot of good. There are too many BD standalone players that can be purchased in the same price range now (the Panasonic with 5 free movies, along with the five given away from the BDA). As far as enticing gamers, they need to get the games out first.

As a little backing:
Quote:
Pachter predicts that the $299 Core system will drop to $249, the $399 Premium down to $349, and the $479 Elite will get the biggest cut of all to $399.
The analyst also brought up Microsoft’s slight shortfall in its goal to ship 12 million Xbox 360 consoles to retailers by June 30 – a target missed by 400,000 units. Pachter said, "Last week, Microsoft announced a slight Xbox 360 shipment shortfall (11.6 million units versus prior guidance of 12 million units through June 30), and we do not believe that the company is prepared to allow Sony to erode its pricing advantage."
360 price reductions

And:
Quote:
The new chips are not only smaller and roughly 50 percent cheaper to produce than their 90nm counterpart, but they are also cooler. Cooler-running chips coupled with a revised cooling solution would go a long way to eradicating the Xbox 360’s fatal flaw: the Red Ring of Death (RROD).65nm Chips

And the U.S. CEO of Konami Digital Entertainment Kazumi Kitaue said:

Quote:
Sony recently officially announced that the 60 GB version of the PS3 will retail for $499 in the U.S. CEO of Konami Digital Entertainment Kazumi Kitaue, however, is skeptical of the impact the price will have.

"I wonder if Sony can win back user support by the price cut of just $100," commented Kitaue to Reuters. "I don't expect a substantial impact ... With $500, you can buy a personal computer." ...

"Since Metal Gear Solid was born for the PlayStation, we would like to keep it a PlayStation game," said Kitaue. "But we might have to take some steps."

There have been rumors in the past about Metal Gear Solid 4 releasing on the Xbox 360, but these comments are the most significant evidence that Konami is considering it. The PS3 version of the game is set to release by the end of this fiscal year in March 2008.

#25 of 61 James St

James St

Supporting Actor

• 959 posts

Posted July 10 2007 - 02:49 AM

If you sign up for a Sony card at Sonystyle.com you get $100 off your first purchase. That could get a 60GB PS3 for $400 with 5 free BD movies.

#26 of 61 TheBat

TheBat

Producer

• 3,000 posts

Posted July 10 2007 - 07:26 AM

I didn;t really like the 5 free movies selection.. I might add that the toshiba 5 free movies were the same way.. not anything to get excited about.

Jacob

#27 of 61 ppltd

ppltd

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted July 10 2007 - 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBat
I didn;t really like the 5 free movies selection.. I might add that the toshiba 5 free movies were the same way.. not anything to get excited about.

Jacob
The HD DVD selection was larger than the BD selection, but I agree, neither were much to crow about.

#28 of 61 Jari K

Jari K

Screenwriter

• 2,968 posts

Posted July 11 2007 - 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppltd
Sorry, I don't buy it.

At least they´re saying that "No Price Cut for Xbox 360":

http://www.homemedia....ticle_ID=10876

Then again, who knows for sure..

#29 of 61 ppltd

ppltd

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted July 12 2007 - 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jari K
At least they´re saying that "No Price Cut for Xbox 360":

http://www.homemedia....ticle_ID=10876

Then again, who knows for sure..
I watched the E3 MS Press conference in it's entirety. There as no statement from MS that they were not cutting the price of the XBox. It just was not discussed one way or the other.

And, what the heck, up until 4 or 5 days ago, Sony stated that there was no price cut in the immediate future of the PS3. How things can change in a few days. I would not expect MS to announce any cuts until they see if the PS3 sales are helped to any degree with their price cuts. I personally tend to think any boost in PS3 sales will be minor and short lived.

#30 of 61 Jari K

Jari K

Screenwriter

• 2,968 posts

Posted July 12 2007 - 02:17 AM

Quote:
I personally tend to think any boost in PS3 sales will be minor and short lived.

I´ll remember this quote somewhere along the line in the future.. Posted Image

#31 of 61 Jeremy Little

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor

• 772 posts

Posted July 12 2007 - 03:34 PM

Quote:
I watched the E3 MS Press conference in it's entirety. There as no statement from MS that they were not cutting the price of the XBox. It just was not discussed one way or the other.

I took Peter Moore's statement at the end of the conference about "our cards are on the table" in reference to the lineup of games to mean there isn't a need for a price drop. While I'd love to see it drop in price, I do find myself agreeing with him on that note. Sony HAD to lower the PS3 price, its great as a BD player but where the hell are the games? I know some are coming up, but dang that's a weak lineup to date.
If it wasn't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college.

#32 of 61 ppltd

ppltd

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted July 12 2007 - 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Little
I took Peter Moore's statement at the end of the conference about "our cards are on the table" in reference to the lineup of games to mean there isn't a need for a price drop. While I'd love to see it drop in price, I do find myself agreeing with him on that note. Sony HAD to lower the PS3 price, its great as a BD player but where the hell are the games? I know some are coming up, but dang that's a weak lineup to date.

From yesterdays news:
Quote:
According to Microsoft Game Studios VP Shane Kim, a price cut is in store for the Xbox 360 game console. In an interview with Bloomberg, Kim talked of competing with the Nintendo Wii and revealed that "We need to compete effectively for that customer and part of that is getting to the mass market price point for the console. We definitely are working on that area."

Kim declined to give a date for when the price cut would occur, but a holiday 2007 price cut would do wonders for the platform along with the release of Halo 3 and Grand Theft Auto 4. “The timing depends on a lot of different factors and we'll just keep evaluating those,” said Microsoft’s Robbie Bach.
I think this means pretty much what I posted earlier. MS will take a wait and see stance on the price cut to see how it effects the PS3 sales. And if the Wii, which is a much more serious threat to MS, continues to grow at it's current pace, MS will be forced to drop the price. With the 65 mn chip sets coming on line soon, and the fact that analysts have placed a cost to manufacture of under 350.00 for the Elite system, MS can certainly afford to match the 100.00 price cut on the Elite, and at least a 50 to 75 dollar price cut on the other 360's.

#33 of 61 Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,519 posts

Posted July 13 2007 - 12:23 AM

Looks like the Sony price drop is going to be short lived as they are discontinuing the 60Gb model in favor of only producing the $100 more expensive 80Gb. Stupid move in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joystiq
Sony Switcheroo: no more 60GB PlayStation 3 in US after July

It's one step forward and a giant lurch back as Sony is poised to pull the plug on their 60GB PlayStation 3. You know, the same PlayStation 3 that they generously shaved $100 dollars from earlier this week.

In an interview with GamesIndustry.biz, SCEE president David Reeves casually mentioned the end of the 60GB model when asked if they would offer the European market a lower priced model, as SCEA did here in the States.

"Well, they're not really are they, because what the US are offering from the 1st of August is a USD $599 version with one game."

Reeves goes on to say that SCEA marked it down to move and that once it's gone, it's gone. When asked for the dreaded confirmation as to if this was the end of the 60GB model, Reeves replied "In America, yes."

Now don't you feel silly for quitting that second job.
Source
DVD & Blu-ray - It's all about the movies!

#34 of 61 ppltd

ppltd

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted July 13 2007 - 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris S
Looks like the Sony price drop is going to be short lived as they are discontinuing the 60Gb model in favor of only producing the $100 more expensive 80Gb. Stupid move in my opinion.
You seem to be right. I saw this report: Daily tech Report today and it seems to back up the link you posted. So the 100.00 price reduction is actually a clearance salePosted Image . Good until they clear out their backlog to 60 GB units. To top that off, the 80 GB replacement is sans the Emotion chip. All backward compatability will be by software as it is in the European PS3's.

In addition, this price drop will not be pushed to Europe.
Quote:
Unfortunately, the word from Sony Computer Entertainment Europe right now is that the price is staying exactly where it is. Furthermore, the 80GB model that was just announced to hit North America in August is not slated any time soon for Europe.

What European gamers will get is a new games and controller bundle that will add value to the existing price point of the console. The new “starter pack,” as the BBC reports, will consist of the 60GB machine packed with two SIXAXIS controllers and two games. According to GamesIndustry, consumers will get to pick any two from the games Resistance: Fall of Man,MotorStorm,Genji: Days of the Blade, Formula One Championship Edition and Ridge Racer 7.
And:
Quote:
...it turns out to be no price cut at all. In the American market, Sony knocked $100 off the 60GB model and cleared a bunch of stock that had been gathering dust. That model has now been discontinued.
The new American 80GB model comes in at the old high price, but US users are not getting something for nothing. What they get is 20GB of drive space that costs very little. (The "difference in cost between a 60 and 80 is just Euro cents; it's nothing, because the cost of memory is so small," says Sony.) What they lose is 100% compatibility.

UK users already have 88% compatibility machines so Sony doesn't feel the need to offer anything in compensation, even if it doesn't cost much. So for us, the old 60GB model continues at the old (£425) price, with a few extras.
Seems to me that Sony should get consistent with their prices.

#35 of 61 Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted July 13 2007 - 03:04 AM

Yep. I just read this too. Well, I'm not sure how good an idea this is for Sony. I would imagine that in the short-term this will boost sales of the 60GB PS3 through the holidays, especially since you're arguably getting the better of the two available players for $100 less. This should also help BD media sales (games and movies) during the same timeframe. For Sony, at least there won't be multiple SKUs out there for too long. By the time the 60GB version is sold out, it'll be into next year and the price for the 80GB version may drop down to $499.99 in time for the next holiday season.

Personally, I bought mine for BD and stand-alone game play, so a larger HD that limits PS2 compatibility is not a "winnging combination" for me. So, I am happy to get a second BD player and gaming console for our family room, where I had neither previously, for $100 less. Now the kids will truly be spoiled when watching what little family-oriented entertainment there is on BD. Posted Image
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#36 of 61 ppltd

ppltd

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted July 13 2007 - 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Arnette
Personally, I bought mine for BD and stand-alone game play, so a larger HD that limits PS2 compatibility is not a "winnging combination" for me.
I think if one wants a PS3, it is now or never. The 60GB unit looks to be the best buy on the market for the PS3 and that will probably be available in limited qty. only. Hope the stores at least clean the dust off of them before moving them from the back racks to the sales floor.Posted Image

#37 of 61 BrettB

BrettB

Producer

• 3,024 posts

Posted July 13 2007 - 05:23 AM

it's like watching a tennis match Posted Image

Quote:
A spokesperson for Sony in the US told Next-Gen, “"As announced this week, SCEA's product offering in North America consists of a 80GB PS3 available in August at $599 and a 60GB PS3 available now for $499. We have will have ample supplies of both models to meet the needs of our consumers for the foreseeable future."

#38 of 61 Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,519 posts

Posted July 13 2007 - 04:08 PM

Posted Image

I love business speak.
DVD & Blu-ray - It's all about the movies!

#39 of 61 ppltd

ppltd

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted July 14 2007 - 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettB
Well of course they have an adequate supply. Sony stated that they produced 5.5 million PS3's (I am not certain how that breaks down between the US and Europe models) and to date have only sold 3.5 million consoles. That leaves nearly 2 million consoles sitting on shelves or wherehouses to be sold. Talk about making a silk purse from a sow's ear.Posted Image

#40 of 61 Derekz

Derekz

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted July 14 2007 - 12:59 PM

I plan on getting a PS3 to complete the collection (I have an xbox 360 and a Wii...both good systems). I like that it plays Blu-Ray, DVD and CD's. I also really wanna play Motorstorm and am interested into what "Home" has to offer come this Fall. $500 sounds pretty good for a blu-ray player that plays next-gen games.

Back to Blu-ray, DVD, LD, Tivo, Satellite and Other Playback Devices

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow