What's new

Fireworks anyone? (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Anyone get any good snaps? Here's my best so far this year as well as last years lousy best one. Last year:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kadath/185829867/
That was only one of 100 I took that was even worth sharing.

This year:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kadath/721919177/

That's just the tip of the iceberg. Damn Tree and flag are still in the way on many shots but the colors and stability are soooo much better. I had a BLAST taking fireworks pics yesterday. This year I brought the tripod with me and it made ALL the difference:

I experimented with the 17-40 and 28-75, ISO 400, Bulb, and about F8 on most.... The remote controller is awesome for this stuff, just sat back and relaxed and varied the exposures to the action. Some came out great, others not so hot but I learned a LOT and it really came down to timing.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I had assumed you'd used bulb. I was just wondering if you knew about how long you held the shutter open? Not a big deal, I was just curious since I have never tried to photograph fireworks, but always wanted to try.

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
My Favorite Taken at the Big Bang using Canon EOS 20D, full manual mode with ISO set to 1600, no Tripod used.

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
All taken at the BigBang Fireworks show in Milwaukee, WI using Canon EOS D20 in full Manual. 1/20th sec./F3.5 ISO 1600

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Big bumpage, blast (heh!) from the past!

I had a ton of fun with the fireworks tonight. Back to 'Kaboom' on the Navesink (Pronounced NAY VEH SINK, not NAH VA SINK, dont be a benny!) in RedBank/Middletown NJ. Wasnt even supposed to go, my family was all messed up with different trips we were taking this weekend and nobody was gonna be in Red Bank for fireworks, and my Dad rolled an ATV over his ankle so he never got his boat out, but at the last minute things came together and I wound up on the RedBank to Middletown Bridge.

Last year's best image is so far my most viewed picture in Flickr out of the thousands of trash I have posted I am most proud of this one:
Red White and Blue Fireworks on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

And the whole set:
07 Red Bank Fireworks - a set on Flickr

Tonight I took over 350 shots, varying the time on Bulb and wasnt sure I was gonna get many I like. I don't know if their is one as 'iconic' as my red white and blue shot from last year but I think on the whole I took better looking more interesting shots. Flipping through em in Lightroom I 'picked' 210 of 350, which is way too many of course, but I really do like a lot of em. I didnt have my 20D with the L lens either, I was using the consumer 18-200VR on my D300, and I really dont think the gear made all that much difference, but having a couple of years under my belt making mistake after mistake really did.

Here's the first batch:
08-Fireworks - a set on Flickr

And the two I like best so far are these ones:
08-Fireworks-7068 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
08-Fireworks-7088 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The thing to remember with fireworks is that the actual exposure is controlled by aperture only (of course, ISO factors in) and the length of exposure controls the length of the trails. You kind of have to throw out how you conventionally think about exposure. You also don't really need to crank up the ISO.

Plus, Steve, you have to use a tripod for fireworks.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Very nice, Sam. You seem to be getting the hang of the technique.

We went to the fireworks near our house as a last minute "spur of the moment" decision, so I didn't have time to get my equipment together. I really wanted to try some fireworks photography this July 4th. :frowning:

Here are a few photos from the July 4th concert in our local park. They are not as exciting as fireworks, though.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
You need a bit of luck with fireworks (and rainbows). Taken during last year's vacation at the Mediterranian (3 of many). The full moon was an extra (but easily missed on the last one).

Cees

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Excellent shots.

Chris, one suggestion. You need to close your lens down 2 or 3 stops, or reduce your ISO. Notice you aren't getting as much color as Cees (except your last shot) which is due to over exposure. The only way to control exposure with fireworks is with ISO and aperture.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
On a side note: I hope you all noticed Parker's new functionality, allowing us to click on a picture inside threads, to watch it in its real dimensions (as posted).

Cees

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Wait - fireworks in Black and White? Are you mad? Yes I am, but it also worked out pretty damn well too!

How about this for your one stop shopping:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks