Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Fireworks anyone?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#1 of 22 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 15,716 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted July 05 2007 - 04:11 PM

Anyone get any good snaps? Here's my best so far this year as well as last years lousy best one. Last year:
http://www.flickr.co...dath/185829867/
That was only one of 100 I took that was even worth sharing.

This year:
http://www.flickr.co...dath/721919177/

That's just the tip of the iceberg. Damn Tree and flag are still in the way on many shots but the colors and stability are soooo much better. I had a BLAST taking fireworks pics yesterday. This year I brought the tripod with me and it made ALL the difference:

I experimented with the 17-40 and 28-75, ISO 400, Bulb, and about F8 on most.... The remote controller is awesome for this stuff, just sat back and relaxed and varied the exposures to the action. Some came out great, others not so hot but I learned a LOT and it really came down to timing.

"Sam, you are the biggest nutter we have here."

Blog: Navesink.net - My Flickr Stream - Dolby Atmos Discussion Thread - Updates at Twitter - Join the HTF Flickr Pool

#2 of 22 Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,355 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 06 2007 - 12:34 AM

Nice shot, Sam. I have not tried to photograph fireworks yet. How long of an exposure (i.e. shutter speed) did you use at f/8?

#3 of 22 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 15,716 posts

Posted July 23 2007 - 08:17 AM

I used Bulb and winged it, some came out too bright, most just right =) I used the TC-80N3 so its easy to just have the camera on a tripod and press a button, review, and try again. Here are the full sets from both nights:

http://www.flickr.co....7600724830048/
http://www.flickr.co....7600939466227/

Fireworks shots on the boat was very frustrating, but a few were salvagable. Wondering how much IS would have helped =)

Sam

Blog: Navesink.net - My Flickr Stream - Dolby Atmos Discussion Thread - Updates at Twitter - Join the HTF Flickr Pool

#4 of 22 Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,355 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 23 2007 - 11:59 PM

I had assumed you'd used bulb. I was just wondering if you knew about how long you held the shutter open? Not a big deal, I was just curious since I have never tried to photograph fireworks, but always wanted to try.

#5 of 22 jss8422

jss8422

Extra

• 19 posts

Posted July 25 2007 - 05:12 AM

Very pretty.

#6 of 22 homthtr

homthtr

Supporting Actor

• 519 posts

Posted July 26 2007 - 03:40 PM

My Favorite Taken at the Big Bang using Canon EOS 20D, full manual mode with ISO set to 1600, no Tripod used.

Posted Image

#7 of 22 homthtr

homthtr

Supporting Actor

• 519 posts

Posted July 26 2007 - 03:49 PM

All taken at the BigBang Fireworks show in Milwaukee, WI using Canon EOS D20 in full Manual. 1/20th sec./F3.5 ISO 1600

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 of 22 homthtr

homthtr

Supporting Actor

• 519 posts

Posted July 26 2007 - 04:07 PM

ok just one morePosted Image

Posted Image

#9 of 22 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 15,716 posts

Posted August 01 2007 - 02:33 PM

I'd say anywhere from 4-12 seconds. Usually the shorter the better, but you have to catch the bursts just right for that.

#10 of 22 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 15,716 posts

Posted July 03 2008 - 06:26 PM

Big bumpage, blast (heh!) from the past!

I had a ton of fun with the fireworks tonight. Back to 'Kaboom' on the Navesink (Pronounced NAY VEH SINK, not NAH VA SINK, dont be a benny!) in RedBank/Middletown NJ. Wasnt even supposed to go, my family was all messed up with different trips we were taking this weekend and nobody was gonna be in Red Bank for fireworks, and my Dad rolled an ATV over his ankle so he never got his boat out, but at the last minute things came together and I wound up on the RedBank to Middletown Bridge.

Last year's best image is so far my most viewed picture in Flickr out of the thousands of trash I have posted I am most proud of this one:
Red White and Blue Fireworks on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

And the whole set:
07 Red Bank Fireworks - a set on Flickr

Tonight I took over 350 shots, varying the time on Bulb and wasnt sure I was gonna get many I like. I don't know if their is one as 'iconic' as my red white and blue shot from last year but I think on the whole I took better looking more interesting shots. Flipping through em in Lightroom I 'picked' 210 of 350, which is way too many of course, but I really do like a lot of em. I didnt have my 20D with the L lens either, I was using the consumer 18-200VR on my D300, and I really dont think the gear made all that much difference, but having a couple of years under my belt making mistake after mistake really did.

Here's the first batch:
08-Fireworks - a set on Flickr

And the two I like best so far are these ones:
08-Fireworks-7068 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
08-Fireworks-7088 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

#11 of 22 JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,457 posts

Posted July 05 2008 - 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Merryfield
Nice shot, Sam. I have not tried to photograph fireworks yet. How long of an exposure (i.e. shutter speed) did you use at f/8?
The thing to remember with fireworks is that the actual exposure is controlled by aperture only (of course, ISO factors in) and the length of exposure controls the length of the trails. You kind of have to throw out how you conventionally think about exposure. You also don't really need to crank up the ISO.

Plus, Steve, you have to use a tripod for fireworks.

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.

#12 of 22 Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,355 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 06 2008 - 01:56 AM

Very nice, Sam. You seem to be getting the hang of the technique.

We went to the fireworks near our house as a last minute "spur of the moment" decision, so I didn't have time to get my equipment together. I really wanted to try some fireworks photography this July 4th. Posted Image

Here are a few photos from the July 4th concert in our local park. They are not as exciting as fireworks, though.

#13 of 22 Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted July 14 2008 - 03:38 AM

Posted Image
R.I.P. DVDSpot

#14 of 22 Chris Bedard

Chris Bedard

Stunt Coordinator

• 70 posts

Posted July 14 2008 - 04:12 PM

A few shots taken at a local show here. Used Nikon D300, bulb mode, with remote release (1.5 to 2.5 seconds)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Chris

#15 of 22 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 15,716 posts

Posted July 15 2008 - 06:43 AM

Great shots guys thanks for sharing!

#16 of 22 Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,555 posts

Posted July 20 2008 - 11:55 AM

You need a bit of luck with fireworks (and rainbows). Taken during last year's vacation at the Mediterranian (3 of many). The full moon was an extra (but easily missed on the last one).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Cees

#17 of 22 JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,457 posts

Posted July 22 2008 - 03:14 AM

Excellent shots.

Chris, one suggestion. You need to close your lens down 2 or 3 stops, or reduce your ISO. Notice you aren't getting as much color as Cees (except your last shot) which is due to over exposure. The only way to control exposure with fireworks is with ISO and aperture.

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.

#18 of 22 Chris Bedard

Chris Bedard

Stunt Coordinator

• 70 posts

Posted July 24 2008 - 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRice
Excellent shots.

Chris, one suggestion. You need to close your lens down 2 or 3 stops, or reduce your ISO. Notice you aren't getting as much color as Cees (except your last shot) which is due to over exposure. The only way to control exposure with fireworks is with ISO and aperture.

Will do that next year. First attempt this year shot at f/11. Thanks for the tip.
Chris

#19 of 22 Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,555 posts

Posted July 24 2008 - 09:43 PM

On a side note: I hope you all noticed Parker's new functionality, allowing us to click on a picture inside threads, to watch it in its real dimensions (as posted).

Cees

#20 of 22 Tony J Case

Tony J Case

Screenwriter

• 1,577 posts

Posted February 01 2011 - 06:39 PM

Wait - fireworks in Black and White? Are you mad? Yes I am, but it also worked out pretty damn well too!

Posted Image

How about this for your one stop shopping:

Posted Image

Forum Nav Content I Follow