-

Photo
- - - - -

EMA Sneak Peek: Meeting with Universal's Ken Graffeo

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
104 replies to this topic

#1 of 105 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,816 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted July 05 2007 - 11:30 AM

As part of our EMA coverage, we have set up a Q&A session with Ken Graffeo EVP of HD Strategic Marketing at Universal Home Video. Of course anyone attending EMA with us will have the ability to ask their own questions in person, but if we have any remaining time I can ask any questions on behalf of members who aren't going on the HTF EMA trip.

Please only post questions you want passed onto Ken in this thread, no discussion.

Yes Mr. Glover, I will ask about Hitchcock HD releases! Posted Image

#2 of 105 OFFLINE   Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,660 posts

Posted July 05 2007 - 11:54 AM

Posted Image

Thanks Adam! Awesome. Have a GREAT time and go ahead and insist we get Jaws, ET, & Jurassic Park too Posted Image. Posted Image Posted Image

#3 of 105 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,636 posts

Posted July 05 2007 - 07:38 PM

No need to second the Hitchcock films here, I guess. Posted Image

Add Back to the Future (properly masked Posted Image ) and Citizen Kane, please, and also a thorough (not to say drilling Posted Image ) general question about their expectations of the developments in the HD format and their future policy in this field.

Cees

#4 of 105 OFFLINE   ReggieW

ReggieW

Screenwriter

• 1,574 posts

Posted July 05 2007 - 08:09 PM

Ask Mr. Graffeo if it would be possible to do something about the combo situation to seriously help the format. Ask if they'll consider releasing combo ONLY releases of season sets like Battlestar Galactica S3 and Heroes S1. This would have the benefit of potentially placing HD software stealthly in MILLIONS of homes. With the already high prices of season sets, they'll have much more flexibility to experiment with the pricing.

Thanks.
More Harlow on DVD Now! - Red Dust, Bombshell, Hold Your Man, Saratoga, The Iron Man, Goldie, The Secret Six, Beast of the City, Three Wise Girls, Reckless, Personal Property, Riff-raff, Suzy & Girl from Missouri

#5 of 105 OFFLINE   Jaxon's Dad

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor

• 837 posts
  • LocationMid-West, USA

Posted July 06 2007 - 12:14 AM

Adam,

Second Back to the Future and the Spielberg requests including his earlier works (Duel, Sugarland Express) and other Uni films (1941, Always). And third the Hitchcock films!
The Star Wars Special Editions: Just 'cause you can, don't mean you should.

#6 of 105 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted July 06 2007 - 12:35 AM

I'll limit it to 5

1. Hitchcock titles
2. Conan
3. Scarface
4. Universal monsters (Frankenstein, Bride, Dracula, Mummy)
5. Spielberg titles - Jaws, Jurassic Park, etc (though I think the answer will be "fat chance")

and dump the combo - period.
Death before Streaming!

#7 of 105 OFFLINE   Jason Roer

Jason Roer

Supporting Actor

• 977 posts

Posted July 06 2007 - 12:51 AM

What Jim said! We have to have Hitchcock, Uni Monsters, and Spielberg on HD-DVD! That way I'll know what to ask for this holiday season. Posted Image

Cheers,

Jason

#8 of 105 OFFLINE   Juan C

Juan C

Second Unit

• 450 posts

Posted July 06 2007 - 01:28 AM

Adam, please ask them why they are consistently removing Spanish subtitles from HD DVD titles released this year (even when the existing DVD version included them), and why recently-released combos have Spanish subtitles on the SD side but not on the HD side, whereas all of their 2006 titles had Spanish subtitles.

(Before you ask - no I don't need Spanish subtitles, but my wife does.)

#9 of 105 OFFLINE   Nick Graham

Nick Graham

Screenwriter

• 1,409 posts

Posted July 06 2007 - 01:58 AM

Adam, since Hitchcock is taken, I'm curious about all the John Carpenter horror titles they have the rights to (They Live, Prince of Darkness, etc) and other 80s horror from Universal (Halloween 2 & 3, the Psycho sequels, etc).

#10 of 105 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted July 06 2007 - 11:06 AM

Ask him what has to occur in the marketplace for Universal to released HDM on Blu-ray Disc.
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#11 of 105 OFFLINE   Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,660 posts

Posted July 06 2007 - 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Arnette
Ask him what has to occur in the marketplace for Universal to released HDM on Blu-ray Disc.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#12 of 105 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted July 06 2007 - 12:02 PM

Posted Image

Well, I figure #$^& it. If you're going to ask questions, you might as well ask the tough ones. Posted Image

Should I have asked, "Golly gee willikers! What other middling titles do you have in store for HD DVD this year"? Posted Image
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal

#13 of 105 OFFLINE   Ben_Williams

Ben_Williams

Second Unit

• 454 posts

Posted July 06 2007 - 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Arnette
Posted Image

Well, I figure #$^& it. If you're going to ask questions, you might as well ask the tough ones. Posted Image

Should I have asked, "Golly gee willikers! What other middling titles do you have in store for HD DVD this year"? Posted Image

Paul, I plan on asking him your question in person at EMA. Strangely, I've never seen this question posed to him before.

#14 of 105 OFFLINE   ppltd

ppltd

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted July 06 2007 - 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Glover

Posted Image
Posted Image That is the funniest post I have seen in ages.Thanks, Tim.

Adam, pretty much any title listed above. And tell them there are many of us out here that appreciate their catalog titles. If you have limited time, don't waste any on the BD question.Posted Image

Thomas Eisenmann(Last updated 09/30/11)

Blu-Ray Collection  DVD Collection, Numerous BD players,

LG 55LX6500 55-Inch 3D 1080p 240 Hz LED

Pioneer VSX-94TXH, Panasonic PT-AE7000U 3D 1080p (PT-AE8000 Just Ordered, 

1124 BDs and going up, 1028 - DVDs and going down.

#15 of 105 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted July 07 2007 - 01:22 AM

Quote:
Paul, I plan on asking him your question in person at EMA. Strangely, I've never seen this question posed to him before.

Posted Image Thanks, Ben!

The Jackal

#16 of 105 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,816 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted July 07 2007 - 02:42 AM

As long as it's asked respectfully, no question about the formats is off limits. Hopefully he will talk about their stand and plans in general.

Some questions I had:

It looks like BR will survive, so what would HD DVD consider a "win"? Is the end game to have two formats forever?
As both hit market penetration will more studios go neutral?

Just a personal observation. I think the answer to the BR question will be a hard and fast "Not going to ever happen". If he gave a probably truthful answer like "we have no plans to release BR for the next year or two and then we will reevaluate", all you would hear around the net is that Universal is going neutral. I think everyone learned their lesson with Microsoft indicating that they were pursuing a parallel downloading strategy and having that translated to them trying to kill all optical discs.

#17 of 105 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted July 07 2007 - 02:47 AM

Quote:
It looks like BR will survive, so what would HD DVD consider a "win"? Is the end game to have two formats forever?
As both hit market penetration will more studios go neutral?

Sounds like a great question to ask.
Death before Streaming!

#18 of 105 OFFLINE   Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins

Screenwriter

• 1,765 posts

Posted July 07 2007 - 03:54 AM

How about this one:

"Recently announced Universal titles have lossless audio tracks listed in the specs. Can we expect to see Universal move in the direction of other studios such as Disney and Sony that are releasing every title with lossless audio?"

#19 of 105 OFFLINE   Shawn Perron

Shawn Perron

Supporting Actor

• 500 posts

Posted July 07 2007 - 03:54 AM

How about "There have been some complaints about the video quality on some of your recent catalog releases, do you have any comment on this?"

#20 of 105 OFFLINE   Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff

Screenwriter

• 2,855 posts

Posted July 08 2007 - 03:24 AM

Adam, if it's possible, ask Mr. Graffeo if Universal plans on releasing any of their classic Monster titles like FRANKENSTEIN and DRACULA to HD DVD. Thanks so much.

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow