Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Saturday Night Live In the 90's DVD coming?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   ChadKo

ChadKo

Stunt Coordinator

• 165 posts

Posted July 04 2007 - 08:07 AM

There was a program run last month called "SNL in the 90s: pop Culture Nation". Does anyone think or know if this will be coming to DVD? It was great! Chad

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter

• 1,250 posts
  • LocationGuelph, Ontario - Canada

Posted July 04 2007 - 09:25 AM

I wouldn't be surprised, since the 70's and 80's specials hit DVD. I saw this and thought it was a great retrospective. It was 1990 when I started watching SNL so I had a particular interest in this one.
My DVD / Blu-ray collection:

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   ChadKo

ChadKo

Stunt Coordinator

• 165 posts

Posted July 04 2007 - 09:38 AM

When did the 70's and 80's ones hit DVD?

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   AnthonyC

AnthonyC

Screenwriter

• 2,342 posts

Posted July 04 2007 - 09:53 AM

The 70s one was released in 2005(?). The 80s has yet to be released, so I don't think we'll see the 90s one anytime soon. Shame, since the 80s and 90s specials were more entertaining than the 70s one IMHO.

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   Cheetah

Cheetah

Stunt Coordinator

• 155 posts

Posted July 04 2007 - 12:43 PM

If you look at the customer reviews on amazon.com, there is a surprisingly number of people on there at least that didn’t really understand that The First 5 Years DVD was a documentary and not a collection of Best Of sketches as they were anticipating. For those people with such expectations, season one wasn’t available commercially when the documentary was first released of course and there also was no indication that any seasons would be released at all. That possible frustration wouldn’t have helped matters. If such negativity was widespread, then of course it’s understandable that sales would have been hurt and therefore decrease the chances of seeing DVD releases for the 80s and 90s sequels. It really didn’t help that the Nielson TV ratings for the two sequels were not that great. Why apparent fans of SNL couldn’t appreciate The First 5 Years DVD release is completely beyond me. Especially when it made available approximately an hour of additional material not shown in the television broadcast due to time constraints. The added content is just as well done, just as entertaining and just as informative as the main feature. With so many things omitted in the 80s & 90s specials due the limitations of having to cover 10 seasons in 88 minutes, an extra hour of additional footage could easily be included in their respective DVD releases. It is therefore a real shame those installments have not been given the same treatment. It would be great if all three documentaries were released together within uniform packaging as a three volume trilogy. Surely there is a market out there for such a set if it was promoted properly, as was already proven by the number of people that ended up purchasing season one.

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   Derek Miner

Derek Miner

Screenwriter

• 1,668 posts

Posted July 04 2007 - 01:03 PM

I picked up the "First 5 Years" disc as soon as it was available, and I really would like the other specials on DVD. The 80s one was really fascinating for me, partially because of the years I knew little of (80-85) and then the years I grew up loving (86-89)
= Derek Miner =
Co-founder, Sunscreen Film Festival

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   Zoe

Zoe

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted July 04 2007 - 02:33 PM

I loved all three of these documentaries, and if anything the second and third are superior to the first, since they cover less explored territory. I hope we get those DVDs eventually.

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   ChadKo

ChadKo

Stunt Coordinator

• 165 posts

Posted July 05 2007 - 04:42 AM

Wasn't there a change of ownership in SNL DVDs that will make them unable to be released or something? Chad

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter

• 1,250 posts
  • LocationGuelph, Ontario - Canada

Posted July 06 2007 - 12:44 AM

My bad. I was under the assumption that the 80's documentary was on DVD.
My DVD / Blu-ray collection:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users