What's new

KotOR2 restoration project nearing completion! (1 Viewer)

Paul_Sjordal

Supporting Actor
http://www.team-gizka.org/wip.html

As any PC game fan knows, the otherwise excellent Knights of the Old Republic 2 was released in an unfinished state due to scheduling restrictions (LucasArts wanted it released in time for Christmas). Interestingly, the resources for the cut content was included in the game install, but of course were not available within the game itself. The developer (Obsidian) wanted to release a patch that would restore the cut content, but LucasArts refused to pay for it.

A dedicated group of fans (calling themselves "Team Gizka") has been working on a massive project to do what Obsidian was forbidden to, and all with volunteer work. It's been two and a half years since they started, and they are finally nearing completion. If their progress report page (linked above) is any indication, they should be ready to release their mod to the public in a few more weeks.

I can hardly wait!

Joe D

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the info.

KOTOR 1 and 2 are some of the best games that have been released on the PC lately, so I am all for having a complete version of the 2nd game. The ending on the 2nd game was just terrible, talk about a letdown after a great game.

Ever since I played these 2 games and Deus Ex I have been spoiled because of how my choices impact the game. I wish more games were developed that were like these.

After glancing through the updates, it looks like A LOT of material was left out. The December 25, 2006 update is grand. If this comes out, I will be so happy.

Paul_Sjordal

Supporting Actor
Well, if you like a game where your choices impact the game world, check out Fallout and Fallout 2 sometime. Here's hoping Bethesda doesn't screw up Fallout 3.

New update (taken from a post at the official Obsidian forums):

Looks like it's going to be more than 3 weeks, but they're definitely getting closer!

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
I have had more trouble getting Bioware games working on my PC than any other developer's products. I finally gave up after trying for a few months to run KOTRO1 and 2 - I tried patches, registry changes, swapping out ATI for NVidia and vice-versa - etc. Nothing worked. Crashes, graphical slowdowns, glitches, boot refusals - you name it. I will not purchase any more Bioware products because of the terrible Bioware track record with PC glitches and incompatibilities. It's sad that the community itself must volunteer to do the coding for them. No sale for me. :thumbsdown:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks