Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

And the 2007 Universal Horror/Sci-Fi Classic Titles are...

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
213 replies to this topic

#21 of 214 OFFLINE   RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted July 03 2007 - 10:43 AM

Yes! I am in. Love The Deadly Mantis. That was one of my favorite MST3K's. To bad we wont ever see that on DVD.

#22 of 214 OFFLINE   GlennWD

GlennWD

Stunt Coordinator

• 125 posts

Posted July 03 2007 - 10:51 AM

It's one of my favorite MST3K's as well, remember... "Oh Little Town of Deathlehem"
Best of Film - Jaws, The Godfather Part I & II, Casablanca, M, Citzen Kane, Ben-Hur, The French Connection, Rear Window, King Kong.

Best of Television - The Twilight Zone, M*A*S*H, Night Gallery, I Love Lucy, Hogan's Heroes, Cheers, Monty Python's Flying Circus.

My DVD Collection

#23 of 214 OFFLINE   Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff

Screenwriter

• 2,861 posts

Posted July 03 2007 - 11:23 AM

I like every movie in both sets, with special kudos to MAN MADE MONSTER, NIGHT MONSTER and DR. CYCLOPS. I can't wait to get both of these sets. Perhaps Uni is holding ISLAND OF LOST SOULS for a future Paramount horror collection. I hope they release it soon.

#24 of 214 OFFLINE   StevenA

StevenA

Second Unit

• 350 posts

Posted July 03 2007 - 11:25 AM

Thanks for the info on the Kino DVD of The Old Dark House, John; however, I had read somewhere that it's from a 16mm print, which didn't sound too promising. Not 100% sure of that, though.

#25 of 214 OFFLINE   Jim Peavy

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor

• 717 posts

Posted July 03 2007 - 12:53 PM

The Kino Old Dark House is the only disc available and does look pretty "iffy". There's supposed to be a perfect looking print out there (I think at the George Eastman House - ?). Would be great if this print could get a DVD release. But if it is at the Eastman House, don't hold your breath for that...!

According to Tom Weaver (on the CHFB), the laser disc/VHS of Island of Lost Souls didn't exactly set the cash registers on fire (i.e., they didn't sell squat), so Uni is probably not anxious to invest in a DVD release.
"I just pre-ordered I DRINK YOUR BLOOD, even though I have no job."

#26 of 214 OFFLINE   JeffMc

JeffMc

Supporting Actor

• 529 posts
  • LocationAntarctica

Posted July 03 2007 - 01:09 PM

Good point, but I sure never ran into many VHS copies of LEECH WOMAN, CULT OF THE COBRA, BLACK CAT (1941), MAN-MADE MONSTER, CAPTIVE WILD WOMAN, etc. in my years and years of hitting video stores. I doubt any of those really sold that well either back in the laserdisc/VHS era. I've run into more copies of DR. CYCLOPS for some strange reason, though, and I've seen more copies of LOST SOULS for rent than most of those other titles. DVD is also a different era. People who would never buy VHS movies or would not pay the laserdisc prices would now immediately buy those same titles they once skipped if released on DVD. So there's no reason ISLAND OF LOST SOULS couldn't at least be a part of one of these collections if not an individual release. It remains the biggest gem in the unreleased on DVD Universal horror catalog as far as I'm concerned. No contest whatsoever. EDIT: PS - I am still thrilled with these upcoming releases. Sometimes getting some 'lesser'' films that you would never expect to see the light of day on DVD is reason to rejoice. Give us anything that's not out there as far as I'm concerned. ISLAND OF LOST SOULS and more established unreleased films will eventually see a release down the line. It's just having patience to wait for them.

#27 of 214 OFFLINE   Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

Producer

• 6,001 posts

Posted July 03 2007 - 01:34 PM

Yes, there has been a gorgeous print floating around... I saw it in NYC back in February 2006 at the Film Forum.

#28 of 214 OFFLINE   Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

Producer

• 6,001 posts

Posted July 03 2007 - 01:37 PM

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the Kino version is culled from both 16mm and 35mm elements. It's certainly worth getting if you can find it, for the time being. Plus it's got some great extra features.

#29 of 214 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,090 posts

Posted July 04 2007 - 01:10 AM

Unbelievable. 10 Sci-Fi and Horror films in two collections, Island of Lost Souls could've been included in either set and it still didn't make the cut. Thanks Universal. Posted Image
Death before Streaming!

#30 of 214 OFFLINE   Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff

Screenwriter

• 2,081 posts

Posted July 04 2007 - 02:33 AM

Next year, they could put together a nice "Mad Doctor" set: Island of Lost Souls Murders in the Zoo The Mad Ghoul The Mad Doctor of Market Street The Monster and the Girl -or -The Man in Half Moon Street Unless I'm mistaken, those all had crazy doctors in them.

#31 of 214 OFFLINE   Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff

Screenwriter

• 2,861 posts

Posted July 04 2007 - 03:12 AM

And the picture isn't that bad. Actually, it looks ok to my eyes.

#32 of 214 OFFLINE   Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

Producer

• 6,001 posts

Posted July 04 2007 - 05:28 AM

I'm still pleased that Universal is steadily releasing collections every year. Thanks, Universal, indeed! Posted Image

#33 of 214 OFFLINE   Mario Gauci

Mario Gauci

Screenwriter

• 2,201 posts

Posted July 04 2007 - 07:05 AM

That's all right for you to say, Joe. On my part, I only have the most utter contempt for Universal and their fucking Best Buy exclusives! Thank God, I'm far more than just a classic horror junkie and Universal can stuff these sets up their oh-so-smart ass for all I care... Thankfully, I have already acquired HORROR ISLAND (1941) and NIGHT MONSTER (1942) on DVD-R so I won't exactly miss them on DVD...but the same can't be said about MAN-MADE MONSTER (1941) and THE BLACK CAT (1941) - neither of which I've ever seen - or DR. CYCLOPS (1940) which I've only watched on Italian TV eons ago! Oh well, maybe in a year's time, Amazon will deign itself to offer it to its customers for a limited time period just like it did a few weeks ago with Universal's previous Best Buy exclusive, The Classic Sci-Fi Ultimate Collection. By the way, I almost forgot...FUCK YOU UNIVERSAL AND BEST BUY!!

#34 of 214 OFFLINE   Thomas T

Thomas T

Screenwriter

• 2,410 posts

Posted July 04 2007 - 08:09 AM

I wasn't planning on buying these sets since the titles are of minimal interest to me but after reading Mario Gauci's post, they're both definite purchases for me. Universal needs to know that some of us do appreciate their attempts to bring B cult movies to the DVD arena, whatever way possible whether thru the normal channels, Best Buy exclusives or stuffed into a cereal box. By the way, I almost forgot...THANK YOU UNIVERSAL AND BEST BUY!!

#35 of 214 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 10,237 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted July 04 2007 - 08:39 AM

I'm with Mario. Plus I totally missed that Amazon got a hold of this to sell. Piss on Universal and store exclusives. These titles don't sell shit if they aren't available everywhere.

#36 of 214 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,709 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 04 2007 - 08:58 AM

Mario,
Not in the front of the children.Posted Image

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#37 of 214 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,709 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 04 2007 - 09:00 AM

Nothing like rubbing salt into an open wound. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#38 of 214 OFFLINE   Mario Gauci

Mario Gauci

Screenwriter

• 2,201 posts

Posted July 04 2007 - 09:29 AM

"It ain't funny, McGoo".

#39 of 214 OFFLINE   Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff

Screenwriter

• 2,081 posts

Posted July 04 2007 - 10:28 AM

If it will make anyone feel better, "The Black Cat" (1941) is a really awful movie, which is more unfunny comedy and unmysterious mystery than horror, anyway. One would think making deals that result in a product being sold by only one chain would be illegal, wouldn't one? But I guess it isn't.

#40 of 214 OFFLINE   RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted July 04 2007 - 12:45 PM

Whew...makes you know really quick who lives in the US, and has a Best Buy in the area. I am in the thanks Universal and Best Buy side. Also ,thank god they dont use DVD 18s...that would really suck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users