What's new

And the 2007 Universal Horror/Sci-Fi Classic Titles are... (1 Viewer)

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
From the Classic Horror Film Boards:

Universal will be releasing two collections around Halloween 2007 as Best Buy Exclusives:

Horror Collection:
Man-Made Monster
Horror Island
Captive Wild Woman
Night Monster
The Black Cat (1941)

Sci-Fi Collection:
The Deadly Mantis
The Land Unknown
The Leech Woman
Cult of the Cobra
Dr. Cyclops

GlennWD

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Glenn DelRossi
Great News! A must buy for me. I love The Deadly Mantis.

Richard_Gregory

Second Unit
Gah! Best Buy exclusive again! Utterly useless for me here in the UK, lots of jumping through hoops to get hold of copies...again!

I think you mean "2007" by the way :)

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Glad to see Man Made Monster, Dr Cyclops & The Deadly Mantis

Would have liked to see them inlude all 3 films in the Wild Woman series.

Still no Island of Lost Souls...amazing

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
Thanks for the info....just out of courisity....was the other SCI FI ULTIMATE COLLECTION, ever made available from another source other than Best Buy?...i seached their site and was no longer able to find it from them.

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell

It was available from Amazon by it's now OOP. The starting asking price is $190! I think I have an extra set around here which I was going to be put on ebay for $25. If anyone is interested I'll look around for it; I don't mind selling it to an HTF'r for $25. I'm not interested in gouging anyone; just want to get back what I paid for it.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
my condolences to fans of Island Of Lost Souls- the wait for that is truly bizarre.

I'm looking forward to the Sci-fi set, but they're only two films in the other I want so I may just consider neflixing them. Are there many more Universal sci-fi movies from the 50s left? or the horror from the 40's?
I'm shocked and delighted at how rich this fall is shaping up for this kind of material- and we haven't even gotten an announcement yet from Warner!
I guess the studios see a worthwhile opportunity in serving this niche.

Those prices for the Classic Sci-fi set are shocking- but I'm sure to be short lived. It seems pretty obvious that they will get a release beyond BB at some point.

Wouldn't it have been more logical to put IOLS in a set with the 3 Wild Women films? With the first film now in one of these sets, it seems like they blew a future golden opportunity.

After all these, the biggest hole in my Universal fantasy section is going o be the absence of the Montez/Hall Cobra Woman. Hopefully we could just get a big honking boxed set of all the Hall/Montez films

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
Some items left to release:

1930s:
-Island of Lost Souls
-Secret of the Blue Room
-Murders in the Zoo
-The Mystery of Edwin Drood
-Supernatural
-Terror Aboard
-The House of Fear (1939)

1940s:
-The Mad Ghoul
-House of Horrors
-The Monster and the Girl
-The Mad Doctor of Market Street
-The Uninvited
-The Man in Half Moon Street
-The Mystery of Mary Roget
-The Strange Case of Dr.RX
-Jungle Woman
-Jungle Captive
-The Spider Woman Strikes Back
-The Cat Creeps (1946)

1950s:
-The Thing That Couldn't Die
-Curse of the Undead

With the exceptions of Island of Lost Souls and the Uninvited, Universal has released all of its A horrors. About half of the titles listed above have never been released in any format so I'm actually looking forward to future sets of these.

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
I'm definitely waiting for Island of Lost Souls. I don't know why Universal is dragging their feet on this one - it seems like a natural title to release.

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell

I wonder how these are selling. The idea was to release these quarterly so August would be the next set's release month. So far, nothing.

Island of Lost Souls and The Uninvited are such strong films that they rate a Cinema Classics stand alone release.

Or, we could get a Charles Laughton Screen Legends Collection (If I Had A Million, Island of Lost Souls, White Woman, Ruggles of Red Gap) and a Ray Milland Screen Legends Collection (Skylark, The Uninvited, Ministry of Fear, Alia Nick Beal). I don't really hold out for hope for these, though, as I don't think Laughton and Milland are "big" names to the general populace.

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot

Yes, I keep hoping to hear about those. So many titles could fit the bill!!!

StevenA

Second Unit
Wow -- Man Made Monster at last!!!

Thanks for the info. I've been waiting for this terrific little movie for years!

StevenA

Second Unit

I wish Universal would release an Old Dark House DVD somehow. I guess there are rights issues (?)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
sad news, these never showed up at the Canadian best buys as far as I can tell. Anyone have a reason why they release these as exclusives? It was my understanding that classic horror and sci-fi sold well for warners and other studios.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
They say that "beggars can't be choosers", so I'm moderately glad we're at least getting something this year from Universal.

The Sci-Fi set is satisfactory, no problems there (plus Dr. Cyclops!!).
The Horror set.... well.... I'm glad to finally get MAN MADE MONSTER on a DVD, and it'll be nice to see HORROR ISLAND get its first home video release (much like the recent Karloff collection unearthed NIGHT KEY for us!). I also like CAPTIVE WILD WOMAN (I was first despairing how we'd ever see its two sequels in the future since they're not included along with the first film, but I guess it's for the best; after all, JUNGLE WOMAN has a chunk of repetitive footage from CAPTIVE WILD WOMAN already in it).

The biggest disappointment for me is that ISLAND OF LOST SOULS - probably THE best and most wanted of all these titles -is not going to be included (sigh). I wonder if Universal realizes how important that one specific title is?

Much like the recent Karloff Collection, not all the films in the Horror Collection are the "cream of the crop". I hope they do well enough to inspire Universal to do this again in 2008.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks