What's new

JJ Abrams-produced Monster movie (Codename: Cloverfield) (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
For those who saw Transformers, there was this trailer that produced an audible "WTF was that?" from the audience, and it basically shows handheld POV footage of New York City suffering from tremors and violence to the Statue of Liberty and what appears to be a big ol' monster in the midst of all the upheaval. It's being produced by JJ Abrams, and here's a link to an article discussing this "unnamed" project (codename Cloverfield) that's slated for release on 1/18/2008.

Here's another link.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Yeah badass trailer, everyone was like "WTF?!".

Strange release date though, no?

--
H

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
One of the best trailers I've ever seen.

Yes, January 18 is a very strange release date for a film that's getting the featured trailer before a big summer tentpole.

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
I was sitting next to 2 Japanese guys last night, and they busted off something in Japanese that I didn't understand, until the final word "Godzilla".

Don't know what it is either, but it was a great trailer.

Doug

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Opposite opinion here...I thought it was mediocre, and seemed like a ripoff of the 1997/1998 teasers for Godzilla. After seeing MI3, I can probably pass on Abrams stuff :)

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member
Can someone explain to me the rationale behind the secrecy on this project? This ain't like someone trying to hide that they are filming Return of the Jedi. I can't imagine that the general public really cares (or is even aware of) what Abrams' crew is doing and the veil of secrecy and the bizarre decision to not even attach a name to the trailer seems like it's destined to create hype much higher than the rest of the project would seem to merit.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
You're talking about the scerecy around it and it's getting people interested in the movie. If it didn't have this 'secret' trailer, there probably wouldn't be a thread for this movie six months in advance.

My guess about the January release date is that it's being done as semi-counter programming. January is usually a dumpster so if they have a good (or well marketed) movie, they will have no competition.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

Giant monster movie with a preview glued to prints of Transformers? With or without secrecy there would be a thread here.

It just feels like a lot of mixed signals here:

1) This whole project is the brainchild of Bad Robot alumni. Now I like Alias and Lost well enough and MI3 was passable but I haven't seen anything from them to warrant this hush-hush status. I mean really - "shhh, don't tell anyone but the guy who directed some Felicity episodes is making this!"

2) The January release date. Maybe just good counter programming but not only does January tend to be a dumping ground but it implies an incredibly short production and post time. For a movie about giant monsters or something that's being highlighted in front of Transformers, such a presentation is going to create an audience expectation that the movie might not be aiming for.

3) Rumors that the whole film is camcorder stuff- Blair Witch was almost ten years ago now with nothing like it enjoying similar success. Is such a project really mainstream?

I guess my interest is piqued but I hope Paramount has a masterful marketing in plan for the rest of this because while they might give themselves a huge opening weekend it also sounds like the type of project to suffer some pretty hateful backlash.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I thought Abrams did a GREAT job with MI-3. :) I'm a bit biased though having loved most of the Alias stuff.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I liked "M:I -3" a lot myself, and it's not because of any prior affection for Abrams. I never saw "Alias" or anything else he's done, so the "M:I" flick was my first look at an Abrams project. It didn't play as well the second time through, but I thought it was easily the best of the three "M:I" flicks...

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
I, too, have never watched anything Abrams has done besides MI:3 (which I thought was good), but this trailer was definately interesting. Everyone seems to think it's going to be some sort of Godzilla thing, but since that's so obvious, I'm going to guess it'll be something entirely different. It's definately weird to see a trailer for something that doesn't have a title yet, which is probably why it seems so intriguing.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member

Just the opposite. Loved MI:3 and Alias, but never got into Lost. Still a big Abrams fan and anxious to see this flick.

Tarkin The Ewok

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brandon
I think it's a horrible move to put out a teaser and not tell people the title. It may generate some buzz, but then the marketing people have to find a way to make people connect this secret ad to the title when they announce it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks