Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Where's The Weinstein Company?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 of 60 OFFLINE   ReggieW

ReggieW

Screenwriter

• 1,574 posts

Posted July 02 2007 - 09:24 AM

Have they abandoned HD-DVD? They presently have no releases scheduled. This is a bit odd, as I would certainly expect them to have SOMETHING on their schedule. I would love to see the Grindhouse and the Kill Bill Whole Bloody Affair films on HD-DVD. Any news?
More Harlow on DVD Now! - Red Dust, Bombshell, Hold Your Man, Saratoga, The Iron Man, Goldie, The Secret Six, Beast of the City, Three Wise Girls, Reckless, Personal Property, Riff-raff, Suzy & Girl from Missouri

#2 of 60 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted July 02 2007 - 09:27 AM

I'd assume they've switching to BluRay. Not saying that to start a war, but rather, since Blockbuster's roll out to physical stores is going to be BluRay only, and the Weinstein's direct-to-video fodder are Blockbuster exclusives, they need to either drop Blockbuster or take on BluRay. I couldn't help but add that insult in about Weinstein's exclusives being crap, but so far the Weinstein "Blockbuster Exclusive" banner is like a big "STAY AWAY" sign.
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#3 of 60 OFFLINE   Jeremy Little

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor

• 772 posts

Posted July 02 2007 - 09:31 AM

It isn't. The Weinstein Company has a very small catalog to work from, and from a business standpoint it doesn't make sense to release them all right up front.
If it wasn't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college.

#4 of 60 OFFLINE   ppltd

ppltd

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted July 02 2007 - 09:36 AM

Give them a break. They just released two films in June, and have always taken the time to ensure their masters are up to stuff. They have also been the on HD studio to consistently give us lossless tracks on their releases. As they have a relatively small catalog, I assume they are just pacing their releases.
Thomas Eisenmann(Last updated 09/30/11)

Blu-Ray Collection  DVD Collection, Numerous BD players,

LG 55LX6500 55-Inch 3D 1080p 240 Hz LED

Pioneer VSX-94TXH, Panasonic PT-AE7000U 3D 1080p (PT-AE8000 Just Ordered, 

1124 BDs and going up, 1028 - DVDs and going down.

#5 of 60 OFFLINE   ppltd

ppltd

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted July 02 2007 - 09:38 AM

Well, stay away then.
Thomas Eisenmann(Last updated 09/30/11)

Blu-Ray Collection  DVD Collection, Numerous BD players,

LG 55LX6500 55-Inch 3D 1080p 240 Hz LED

Pioneer VSX-94TXH, Panasonic PT-AE7000U 3D 1080p (PT-AE8000 Just Ordered, 

1124 BDs and going up, 1028 - DVDs and going down.

#6 of 60 OFFLINE   Thornhill

Thornhill

Stunt Coordinator

• 143 posts

Posted July 02 2007 - 09:55 AM

I noticed that Hard Boiled is being released on Blu-Ray with the Stranglehold video game being released for PS3. I believe that Weinstein owns the rights to this film. Hard Boiled is also being released on its own as a Dragon Dynasty DVD release. I'm surprised they allowed this to be released on BD considering their HD-DVD exclusivity. The BD version is apparently being released for a limited time with the game though. So who knows what they're actually planning?
My HT Setup:
 Fronts: B & W DM603 S3  Rears: B & W DM602 S3  Center: B & W LCR600 S3  Sub Woofer: SVS PB-2 PLUS                                                                                                                                  

#7 of 60 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted July 02 2007 - 10:43 AM

Oh, I have been, and, believe me, it wasn't even a conscience decision. Posted Image
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#8 of 60 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,090 posts

Posted July 02 2007 - 10:49 AM

Same here Paul. If all they're willing to release to HD are new films then there's only 1 title of theirs I'm interested in (Grindhouse) but it looks like Harvey Scissorhands is already mucking up the SD version by splitting it into two seperate releases.
Death before Streaming!

#9 of 60 OFFLINE   Paul Hillenbrand

Paul Hillenbrand

Screenwriter

• 1,286 posts

Posted July 02 2007 - 10:52 AM

Over at High-Def Digest:

The reason Weinstein is okay releasing "Hard Boiled" on Blu-ray ...

Paul
Avatar: "The Annunciation to the Shepherds" Painting by Nicolas Berchem (1680-1683)
BD 3D, BD, HD DVD, DVD collection

#10 of 60 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted July 02 2007 - 10:58 AM

Paul, I've personally never bought into the whole idea that Hard Boiled on the Stranglehold PS3 game meant they were going neutral or flipping to BD. However, when I look at their catalog, no company outside of Starz Home Entertainment (previously Anchor Bay Home Entertainment) screams "movies that gamers would buy" more. This combined with the recent Blockbuster announcement and The Weinstein Company's previous exclusivity contract with them does make it seem like it would be a logical move on their part in the future. Again, outside of Kill Bill and Grindhouse they really have nothing of interest to me whatsoever.
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#11 of 60 ONLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 23,224 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted July 02 2007 - 11:07 AM

I think you can 'blame' Tarantino and Rodriguez just as much as Weinstein. If they wanted Grindhouse to be released as it was in the theaters, it would have been. As it stands, they all know they can make more money by selling them individually and then (maybe) going back and re-releasing the original later.

#12 of 60 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,090 posts

Posted July 02 2007 - 11:19 AM

I don't necessarily agree. Grindhouse was a bomb at the BO so I don't think they have much pull in regards to how this title is released on video.
Death before Streaming!

#13 of 60 OFFLINE   Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted July 02 2007 - 12:29 PM

That all depends on what their contract with Weinstein says. They may very well have complete say over how the film is released on video. Also just because it didn't do well at the boxoffice doesn't mean it won't do well on video. Just look at Austin Powers as an example of a boxoffice dud that became a huge hit on video. Big enough in fact that it had two sequels. Doug
"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#14 of 60 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,090 posts

Posted July 02 2007 - 01:43 PM

I never said it "won't do well" on video. In fact I think it would do very well on DVD and would also sell pretty good on HD if there is a HD release. This was a major box office bomb costing $53,000,000 and grossing only $25,000,000. A $28 million hole for a small company like Weinstein can't endear them to Tarantino/Rodriguez. Tarantino has clout but not like a Spielberg or Lucas.
Death before Streaming!

#15 of 60 OFFLINE   Vincent_P

Vincent_P

Screenwriter

• 1,780 posts

Posted July 02 2007 - 01:56 PM

In no way, shape, or form was the original AUSTIN POWERS a "box office dud". It was a lowish-budget film that came out of nowhere and grossed $55-million at the domestic box-office alone (remember, Mike Myers hadn't had a hit in several years at that point, not since the original WAYNE'S WORLD). Yes, it got even more popular on home video and the sequels did much better box-office, but the first film was no more a "dud" than the original THE TERMINATOR was in that regard. AUSTIN POWERS: INTERNATIONAL MAN OF MYSTERY was a true "sleeper hit", NOT a "dud", not even close.

Vincent

#16 of 60 ONLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 23,224 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted July 02 2007 - 02:27 PM

No but I think that he's got enough clout (and a long term relationship with the Weinsteins) that if he really wanted it to happen, it would. EDIT: There's also the possibility that Tarantino isn't interested in seeing the shortened version of Death Proof available on home video.

#17 of 60 OFFLINE   ReggieW

ReggieW

Screenwriter

• 1,574 posts

Posted July 02 2007 - 03:26 PM

I agree that there aren't many titles in the Weinstein catalog that are "must haves" for me. Aside from Kill Bill/Grindhouse, the only other titles they have which would interest me would be the Bronston epics and the Dragon Dynasty titles. I do believe that they feel that the market isn't mature enough for the Bronston & Dragon Dynasty titles yet, and being a newer company with a small catalog, they have to be more careful with these decisions. I don't THINK they're switching, but if they did, it seriously wouldn't bother me much. I presently don't have a SINGLE Weinstein title in my library (SD or HD-DVD).
More Harlow on DVD Now! - Red Dust, Bombshell, Hold Your Man, Saratoga, The Iron Man, Goldie, The Secret Six, Beast of the City, Three Wise Girls, Reckless, Personal Property, Riff-raff, Suzy & Girl from Missouri

#18 of 60 OFFLINE   Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted July 03 2007 - 03:41 AM

Your correct in that Austin Powers wasn't a money loser at the box office. It cost 17 million and made about 53 million. In Hollywood today that is a modest money maker but most films doing those kind of numbers fade into obscurity. It wasn't until the DVD was a HUGE hit that New Line started thinking about sequels, and Austin Powers became a pop culture icon. In fact this was one of the first films where Hollywood started to realize that the home video market was bigger than the theatrical market. Doug

#19 of 60 OFFLINE   Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted July 03 2007 - 03:43 AM

This may also still be an issue over all production capacity for HD DVD. Also I imagine the Bronston epics are probably in need of restoration, so I wouldn't look for them to start showing up for a while because of the amount of work needed to be done.

#20 of 60 OFFLINE   Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted July 03 2007 - 03:46 AM

Well its not always a matter of clout, its a matter of what his contract says. I know that Tarantino has final cut rights on all of his films. He may also have the right to supervise all home video versions of his work. And no one has the kind of clout that Spielberg has other than Spielberg. He is the 800 pound gorilla of Hollywood. Lucas has the kind of clout that he has because he finances all his own films. The studios have very little risk with his films. Doug

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users