What's new

Dr. Who Season 3 Thread (1 Viewer)

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
For those that may be interested, season 3 of Dr. Who (new series) is starting this Friday, July 6 on SCI-FI Channel at 7PM Central.

I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes since it's the first season without Rose (Billy Piper). They are airing 2 back-to-back starting with "The Runaway Bride". Hopefully his new companion won't be too bad, but it will take awhile to warm up to.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
The official season 3? Heh - you're 13 weeks behind. :) I just finished up Last of the Timelords last night!

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell

So did I. It's too bad we don't get the full Doctor Who Confidentials here.

Torchwood starts on BBC America in September.

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
Now, don't rub it in, not everyone has friends overseas (or lives there). On another note, the BBC seems to have opened up one of their websites to the USA. http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/sounds/ and you can download the podcast commentaries and a video recap of the Confidentials. Last year these were restricted to the UK but this year they seem to have opened them up to the USA. (or else our enterprise grade router confuses them)

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
They didnt do the confidentials this year on the web, but I've never had a problem getting the commentary tracks for this year or last.

Now the Sarah Jane series webpage, I cant get to - but the main Who page I've never had a problem accessing.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Just a test to make sure this works. Will edit in a sec.

Anyway, In regards to the casting of series 3 (and into series 4):

Ok, just heard this tidbit on the interwebs, and thought it relevant enough to post here: Catherine Tate, the companion in The Runaway Bride, is being picked up as a full series companion in series 4, replacing Martha (who's doing some episodes on Torchwood before coming back towards the end of series 4). Since I liked Donna, I think that's great news - but I though I'd ask the peanut gallery and see what you guys think. Too abrasive to be a full series companion?

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
Should keep the spoiler tags in place for those that haven't read that info yet.

I will say this, I will NOT watch any of season 4 if that person is the new companion! Not only is she LOUD and abrasive, but I think one of the most annoying voices I've heard. Plus, I just plain can't stand her and I don't think she is anywhere close to being a good choice for anything, much less a companion replacement! :thumbsdown:

Andrew Beacom

Supporting Actor
Her being a companion smacks of being a gimmick. While that might work for a one off it won't work well for a season.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
I read on another site that Dr. Tom was going to be the new companion. I would rather have him than that shrill harpy, Catherine Tate!

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Regarding the casting news:
I initially was not happy about the news, but it's growing on me.

I think the problem I had with it initially was that I was remembering the way she was in the first half of the series - all loud and angry and unpleasant. But that's understandable - she's getting married, and suddenly finds herself thrown into the TARDIS unwillingly, has all this bad stuff happen to her, of course she's going to be angry.

But she did soften quite a bit by the end of the episode, became quite nice. And especially since this time, she'll be a willing voluntary companion, she could be quite good. And, at the same time, it wll be a nice move away from the "companion in love" thing they've had the last few years. Instead, they'll be friends, but you know Donna will be willing to challenge the Doctor when it's called for - something Rose and Martha never did.

So I think it could work. It will be interesting to watch, anyway.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
As usual the first 2 episodes were good, but not great. Seems the show is either an A+ or C-, and these 2 were the C-. IMO thats the way the first 2 seasons were as well. They have a slow build with the quality at the start, then pepper a stinker or two at the end of the season as well. But when its good, its damn good! I wish they would travel in TIME and SPACE a bit more as well, but i know thats a budget issue. The overall show is still an A.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
I also felt these 2 episodes were just average at best. As far as Tate goes, she is about a much an F- as you can get from Rose. The fact that she could "challenge" the Doctor is questionable, but regardless she is one of the worst partners I've heard speak.

Rose was mentioned briefly and I really wish they would commit to him being more emotional since this is supposed to be the "new-old" Doctor from years ago. I just felt like they glossed over it too much.

As far as Martha, she could be a good companion and WAY better than Tate ever no matter what. I think she may be a good replacement for Rose and will give her a chance, besides, the Doctor seems a little smitten and perhaps a rub-off from Rose.

Either this show will get a better budget or it won't, but I thought at least they may get close to TNG money. I don't think that's the case where they can spend 1 Million or so per episode. The one thing I would like to see more than anything, including the travel in space, is INSIDE THE TARDIS. It's supposed to be HUGE as in almost like a whole planet or at least large nation. The old series showed more on the inside and even the made for TV movie showed the 7th Doctor in his "sitting room" which was big before regenerating into the 8th Doctor. They REALLY need to make it seem more alien and doing so with the TARDIS would be a requirement before much longer.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
The view over this side of the Herring Pond is - let's give her a chance. Every time there's a change in the line-up we get the doom-mongering, but generally things have worked out fine.

Getting back to important matters - wait until you've seen the rest of the series, guys. It gets better and better. However, it's important you watch the episodes in sequence. There's a few back-references to earlier episodes. *And* you're at a serious disadvantage in the final couple of episodes if you haven't seen any of Torchwood. I'm happy to provide the necessary [and I promise spoiler-free] information if anyone wants it.

Just one other thing; there's a running reference throughout the series to a person who becomes central to the last two episodes:

Harold Saxon

[Clicking on the spoiler will give the name, nothing about why they're important or anything like that].

Andrew Beacom

Supporting Actor
I liked the Plasmavore episode better than the Christmas special. Martha does seem to have more personality than Rose did. Donna was not the worst companion ever but she was up there. So news of her return doesn't really excite me.

Is anyone showing Torchwood this year?

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
Re: Torchwood

Apparently CBC in Canada has picked it up to air after season 3 of Doctor Who ends. At least, that's what their advertising states.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Bad news about the new companion. It should have been the girl from Blink.
I have just finished watching season 3 an I wont give any spoiler but it does get better as it series 3 goes on.
I think Martha does a great job.

Regarding Torchwood starting. I think most will find it a big let down.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks