Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The Return Of Fox

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#1 of 22 OFFLINE   Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins

Screenwriter

• 1,765 posts

Posted July 01 2007 - 03:04 PM

To my knowledge, this is the first Fox title to go up for preorder in North America in several months. Granted, this is a Canadian announcement but U.S. and Canadian releases usually conincide with one another and Fox owns this title in the U.S. also. I think it's legit.

http://www.amazon.ca....3267177&sr=1-4

#2 of 22 OFFLINE   Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,663 posts

Posted July 01 2007 - 03:08 PM

Greetings Jeff. This is good news. Fox has such a vast and wonderful library. Here's hoping that this re-starts their entry into HD media. Posted Image

One quick note. It appears that Mr. & Mrs. Smith is now available overseas in HD DVD. Wow. Who woulda thought that....

#3 of 22 OFFLINE   ppltd

ppltd

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted July 01 2007 - 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Adkins
To my knowledge, this is the first Fox title to go up for preorder in North America in several months. Granted, this is a Canadian announcement but U.S. and Canadian releases usually conincide with one another and Fox owns this title in the U.S. also. I think it's legit.

http://www.amazon.ca....3267177&sr=1-4
While I really like The Return of the living dead, this is not the type of title I would expect to see Fox returning with.
Thomas Eisenmann(Last updated 09/30/11)

Blu-Ray Collection  DVD Collection, Numerous BD players,

LG 55LX6500 55-Inch 3D 1080p 240 Hz LED

Pioneer VSX-94TXH, Panasonic PT-AE7000U 3D 1080p (PT-AE8000 Just Ordered, 

1124 BDs and going up, 1028 - DVDs and going down.

#4 of 22 OFFLINE   Peter Overduin

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor

• 781 posts

Posted July 01 2007 - 05:53 PM

I think Fox is just have some fun at its own expense here...the boys in HI def division prob thought this was the right title to come out with right now hehe
Peter

My Collection

#5 of 22 OFFLINE   Eric DiPiazza

Eric DiPiazza

Stunt Coordinator

• 174 posts

Posted July 01 2007 - 06:02 PM

Sweet, love that film. Hope it pans out to be true and not just a goof on Amazon's part like they did with Borat a while back.

#6 of 22 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted July 02 2007 - 12:18 AM

Quote:
While I really like The Return of the living dead, this is not the type of title I would expect to see Fox returning with.

I agree, however this is an MGM title being released through Fox (if it is true).
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#7 of 22 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted July 02 2007 - 12:29 AM

Well whenever Fox returns to BD releases I hope they spent this time reassessing their HD strategy. Frankly they can keep their $40 MSRP (which can be had online for $27) as long as PQ is top notch and they include all of the extras included on the SD versions!

While I'd like their MSRP to be lower I don't think that'll happen.
Death before Streaming!

#8 of 22 OFFLINE   Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,626 posts

Posted July 02 2007 - 05:07 AM

If they don't lower their MSRP they're going to have a lot of product sitting on shelves collecting dust. Assuming, of course, that they really are about to reenter the market.
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#9 of 22 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,830 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 02 2007 - 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin-S
If they don't lower their MSRP they're going to have a lot of product sitting on shelves collecting dust. Assuming, of course, that they really are about to reenter the market.
I'm with you, in order for this format to grow they need to lower the price of software, especially with catalog titles.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#10 of 22 OFFLINE   Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy

Producer

• 3,764 posts

Posted July 02 2007 - 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford
I'm with you, in order for this format to grow they need to lower the price of software, especially with catalog titles.
I can live with a bare-bones Zardoz.
"Did you know that more people are murdered at 92 degrees Fahrenheit than any other temperature? I read an article once. Lower temperatures, people are easy-going, over 92 and it's too hot to move, but just 92, people get irritable."

#11 of 22 OFFLINE   MattFini

MattFini

Supporting Actor

• 607 posts

Posted July 02 2007 - 05:21 AM

Jeeze...I'm really hoping the Fox will eventually start releasing on both formats.

I went with HD DVD, and neither format has been all that impressive with horror content so far.

I would LOVE to get ROTLD, though.
Universal, please release Streets of Fire on Blu-ray.

#12 of 22 OFFLINE   Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins

Screenwriter

• 1,765 posts

Posted July 02 2007 - 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Overduin
I think Fox is just have some fun at its own expense here...the boys in HI def division prob thought this was the right title to come out with right now hehe

Never thought of it that way, Peter! That's funny.

The SE on SDVD has been in the works for months with all-new cast commentary. They probably decided to do a BD day-and-date with the new SE SDVD.

#13 of 22 OFFLINE   Grant H

Grant H

Screenwriter

• 2,844 posts

Posted July 02 2007 - 08:58 AM

They should seriously announce Independence Day this week.
My midis bring all the Force to the yard; my midis are better than yours!

#14 of 22 OFFLINE   Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,626 posts

Posted July 02 2007 - 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Lundy
I can live with a bare-bones Zardoz.

At 32.95 a copy (slightly less for Americans) I couldn't. I agree with R. Crawford. Catalog prices have to come down enormously if the studios want to see growth in sales. 31.95 for The Cowboys is insane. The store I checked out was charging as much or more for that catalog title as they were for a new release. I don't remember ever seeing the film. It would have been an ideal impulse buy, but at 32 bucks the impulse was gone.
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#15 of 22 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,830 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 02 2007 - 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin-S
At 32.95 a copy (slightly less for Americans) I couldn't. I agree with R. Crawford. Catalog prices have to come down enormously if the studios want to see growth in sales. 31.95 for The Cowboys is insane. The store I checked out was charging as much or more for that catalog title as they were for a new release. I don't remember ever seeing the film. It would have been an ideal impulse buy, but at 32 bucks the impulse was gone.
You'll have to explain the pricing structure up there north of the border, but I bought The Cowboys for $17.96 from Amazon and it's still available at that price point.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#16 of 22 OFFLINE   Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,626 posts

Posted July 02 2007 - 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford
You'll have to explain the pricing structure up there north of the border, but I bought The Cowboys for $17.96 from Amazon and it's still available at that price point.

Crawdaddy
Okay, I checked out Amazon.ca. They are selling The Cowboys for 25.95 with a MSRP of 31.95. It appears that my local B&M is selling most of their titles at or near MSRP. They probably think they can get away with it due to a general lack of competion. Only two other outlets carry any sizeable number HD DVD or Blu-ray discs. The store I frequent is the only one that carries most of the titles at any given time. Sometimes, even I can 't fathom how they set their prices. Hell, they were selling MI1 for 27, but MI2 was 32. The HD DVD version of MI1 was 32. Maybe a Blu-ray mole? :laugh :

I don't really like mail ordering discs, but I might have to do it more often. Ordering out of the States would cost me C$ 18.97 without shipping. A big enough order and the shipping becomes negligible.

#17 of 22 OFFLINE   Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,663 posts

Posted July 02 2007 - 05:13 PM

I normally buy from Amazon too Robert, but I did take advantage of Deep Discounts big sale a few weeks back and got The Cowboys for $15.46 shipped. Posted Image Got several others the same too.

Amazon did have a number of BD titles on sale recently. Blu-rays of Rocky, Speed, Flyboys, & Kingdom Of Heaven were all at $22.99-even less with the 10% off.

#18 of 22 OFFLINE   Dave Mack

Dave Mack

Producer

• 4,665 posts

Posted July 02 2007 - 07:33 PM

excellent flick!

"brains....!!!!'

"send more paramedics..."

"watch your tongue, boy, if you like this job...!"

"like this job..?!?!"

Posted Image

http://www.imdb.com/...t0089907/quotes

#19 of 22 OFFLINE   Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted July 03 2007 - 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Glover
I normally buy from Amazon too Robert, but I did take advantage of Deep Discounts big sale a few weeks back and got The Cowboys for $15.46 shipped. Posted Image Got several others the same too.

Amazon did have a number of BD titles on sale recently. Blu-rays of Rocky, Speed, Flyboys, & Kingdom Of Heaven were all at $22.99-even less with the 10% off.

I haven't been buying from Amazon so much since I discovered that Fry's has most of their HD DVD and Blu-ray discs listed at $19.95. I guess its the impulse shopper in me.

Doug
"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#20 of 22 OFFLINE   Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,663 posts

Posted July 03 2007 - 01:10 AM

Yeah, I remember living close to Dallas where there is a big one (2 actually in the metroplex). Where I live now, no local vendor carries any HD media other than Targets handful of titles. Posted Image

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow