Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Best way to set up my 5.1 Surround sound with my TV in the corner.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   newajcksm

newajcksm

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted June 30 2007 - 03:28 PM

Hi guys, I just bought Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround Sound, I didn't feel like spending 500-800 dollars for a set of speakers and I wanted speakers that would work with LCD TV when I am on the computer so this seemed like the most ideal set of speakers for me.

The one thing I didn't think of is, since my TV is in the corner how will and where will i set up my center speaker, where is my front right and left speaker going to go?

I bought corner shelves so each speaker can go in the corner, this is why am I asking...

I would post a picture / diagram but I cant because I need to have 10 posts or more...

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   newajcksm

newajcksm

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted July 01 2007 - 05:02 AM

helllp

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh

Producer

• 5,183 posts

Posted July 01 2007 - 06:57 AM

I Greg.

Yes - corner placement for a TV is a problem. You also have an issue is the Logitech speaker system was designed to throw sound for someone sitting 1-2 feet away from a computer screen, not 5+ feet away from a TV.

But ... we can work with it.

Do this:

Plan on placing the center speaker on top of the TV.

Measure out 20-30 degrees to the right & left from the center speaker. This is where you should place the L/R speakers. You wont be able to use those corner brackets, but plan on a bookshelf placement and try to get the L/R speakers at the same height as the center. Try to place the rears opposite the L/R fronts.

You will likely have to bump the center volume a bit (Hopefully the Logitech system lets you do this). Your L/R speakers will be much closer to your central seat and the volume will swamp out the center unless you can increase the center volume independently. Look at the instructions.

Hope this helps.

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   newajcksm

newajcksm

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted July 01 2007 - 07:08 AM

:- I really wanted to use those corner shelves hehe.

I think I understand with what your saying.. place the left and right speaker basically at the ends of my desk and place the center speaker in the middle of my desk and do the same pretty much for the rear.

The rear of my room I have no bookshelves or anything to put those speakers up, I have my bed and nothing on the sides of it, I have a closet blocking everything, which is why i got 4 corner shelves to put everything up on the wall.

What I was thinking of doing was pretending I was having the TV watching it to the left, and put the speakers that way accordingly.

So I would put

Speaker 1 Front Right (which would be above the TV)
Speaker 2 Front Left

and the center speaker wouldn't be in the corner it would be to my left.. under my window still on my desk though.

Would this work?

And yes I can turn down the center speaker.

would be a lot easier if i could show you a diagram

I am using an LCD TV that I use for PC, TV, and Gaming.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Producer

• 5,910 posts

Posted July 01 2007 - 10:03 AM

Here’s how it should be done:

Posted Image

Problem is, most people don’t want to do what it takes to do corner placement “right” – i.e., turn the sofa and everything else 45° from the walls But that's the only way it works right. (It's okay to put the sub in the corner behind the TV, if it works best there.)

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

My Equipment List
“A nice mid-fi system,” according to an audiophile acquaintance.

My Tech / DIY Articles and Reviews