What's new

UK's "The Verve" being Reunited (1 Viewer)

kamyiu

Stunt Coordinator
man, all these reunions...wtf. the verve were a good band. if ashcroft's solo stuff is any indicator, they should just leave well enough alone.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
I agree, his solo stuff certainly doesn't get rotation in my mp3's. however, the Verve used to get played heavily; although not for a while now. I think I shall start listening to them again. I hope they play in the states a bit, Id love to see them before they call it quits again.

Jeff_A

Screenwriter

You may be right. Urban Hymns was one of the best albums of their decade. This will be a very tough one to live up to, but maybe you can capture lightning twice. :)

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
Maybe, but they were heavily into ecstasy when they recorded that album, it caused a lot of stress on the band emotionally I heard. Who knows how this will effect their recording process and creativeness.

John Mansor

Stunt Coordinator
I liked "The Verve" back when they were just "Verve". :) Urban Hymns is okay, but I really enjoy their earlier stuff like She's a Superstar and Man Called Sun.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
I hadn't heard of The Verve until a recent article which discussed the "saddest song ever." Apparently some researchers concluded that The Drugs Don't Work of off Urban Hymns was the #1 saddest, based on physiological measurements made on test subjects. (Of course, I'm sure the study wouldn't pass scientific muster.)

Anyhow, I listened to that song and immediately was touched. From what I've read, the story has a dual meaning...it was written about the writer's father dying of cancer. The chemo drugs his father was taking weren't working, and the drugs the songwriter (Ashcroft) were taking to block the pain weren't working either.

kamyiu

Stunt Coordinator
ben harper does a really nice cover of the drugs don't work, i think it's on his live album.

it'd be nice if they can pull it off. the verve deserve as much success as any other reunion band, for all the crap they've endured.

Alex-C

Screenwriter
this is why I check the HTF musak boards from time to time...i didnt know one of my favorite bands is contemplating reuniting !
i have a lot of Verve stuff.
I agree with John. That first EP is solid gold.
they will not, repeat WILL NOT, recapture the magnificence of Urban Hymns, but that is not a reason to be disinterested.
IMHO, I believe that UH was the best album of the 90s, along with Achtung, Baby.
I just wonder if they'll try to "update" their sound like many of these bands often do. i hope not.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
I have a bunch of Verve stuff. some of it is hard to get.

1. Verve E.P.
2. A Storm in Heaven
3. No Come Down (B-Sides)
4. A Northern Soul
5. Urban Hymns
6. This is Music (Greatest Hits) (2 unreleased songs)
7. The Acoustic Sessions (19 tracks; mostly acoustic live stuff, sound quality isnt great)
8. Live @ Wigan (5-24-98) (Sound quality is moderate)

I think my favorites are a Storm in Heaven and Urban Hymns. I have to admit though, Gravity Grave is a great song, I love the bass line. I'm not too fond of Ashcroft's solo stuff though. I cant wait to see how they evolved.

Alex-C

Screenwriter
Nice to hear that Jean.

1. EP - check
2. A Storm... - check
3. No Come Down - check
4. A Northern Soul - check
5. Urban Hymns--whats that ?

Three Steps
Change My Life
Monte Carlo

I'd be interested in the acoustic stuff if the quality was worth it. I really like the Make It Til Monday acoustic off of No Come Down.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks