-

Photo
- - - - -

UK's "The Verve" being Reunited

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   Jean D

Jean D

Screenwriter

• 1,329 posts

Posted June 27 2007 - 04:45 AM

Heres the article confirming the claim straight from VH1.

I'm a huge Verve fan, I cant wait to hear the new stuff. Anyone else like the Verve?
Gear: Crestron AADS, Crestron 4L, RTI T2C, SVS PC 16-46, Xbox 360, Wii, Bass Shakers, TiVo HD, Toshiba A3 HD-DVD, 42" Panasonic TH-42PWD8UK, two Denon AVR-2106's, Speaker Craft Aim 7 Five's, Samsung HD-950 DVD player.

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   kamyiu

kamyiu

Stunt Coordinator

• 145 posts

Posted June 27 2007 - 08:42 PM

man, all these reunions...wtf. the verve were a good band. if ashcroft's solo stuff is any indicator, they should just leave well enough alone.

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   Jean D

Jean D

Screenwriter

• 1,329 posts

Posted June 28 2007 - 12:30 AM

I agree, his solo stuff certainly doesn't get rotation in my mp3's. however, the Verve used to get played heavily; although not for a while now. I think I shall start listening to them again. I hope they play in the states a bit, Id love to see them before they call it quits again.
Gear: Crestron AADS, Crestron 4L, RTI T2C, SVS PC 16-46, Xbox 360, Wii, Bass Shakers, TiVo HD, Toshiba A3 HD-DVD, 42" Panasonic TH-42PWD8UK, two Denon AVR-2106's, Speaker Craft Aim 7 Five's, Samsung HD-950 DVD player.

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   Jeff_A

Jeff_A

Screenwriter

• 1,459 posts

Posted June 28 2007 - 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamyiu
. . .the verve were a good band. if ashcroft's solo stuff is any indicator, they should just leave well enough alone.

You may be right. Urban Hymns was one of the best albums of their decade. This will be a very tough one to live up to, but maybe you can capture lightning twice. Posted Image

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   Jean D

Jean D

Screenwriter

• 1,329 posts

Posted June 28 2007 - 12:37 AM

Maybe, but they were heavily into ecstasy when they recorded that album, it caused a lot of stress on the band emotionally I heard. Who knows how this will effect their recording process and creativeness.

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   John Mansor

John Mansor

Stunt Coordinator

• 217 posts

Posted June 28 2007 - 03:52 AM

I liked "The Verve" back when they were just "Verve". Posted Image Urban Hymns is okay, but I really enjoy their earlier stuff like She's a Superstar and Man Called Sun.

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   Brian Perry

Brian Perry

Screenwriter

• 2,815 posts

Posted June 28 2007 - 05:04 AM

I hadn't heard of The Verve until a recent article which discussed the "saddest song ever." Apparently some researchers concluded that The Drugs Don't Work of off Urban Hymns was the #1 saddest, based on physiological measurements made on test subjects. (Of course, I'm sure the study wouldn't pass scientific muster.)

Anyhow, I listened to that song and immediately was touched. From what I've read, the story has a dual meaning...it was written about the writer's father dying of cancer. The chemo drugs his father was taking weren't working, and the drugs the songwriter (Ashcroft) were taking to block the pain weren't working either.

#8 of 12 OFFLINE   kamyiu

kamyiu

Stunt Coordinator

• 145 posts

Posted June 28 2007 - 02:47 PM

ben harper does a really nice cover of the drugs don't work, i think it's on his live album.

it'd be nice if they can pull it off. the verve deserve as much success as any other reunion band, for all the crap they've endured.

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   Alex-C

Alex-C

Screenwriter

• 1,240 posts

Posted July 07 2007 - 10:35 AM

this is why I check the HTF musak boards from time to time...i didnt know one of my favorite bands is contemplating reuniting !
i have a lot of Verve stuff.
I agree with John. That first EP is solid gold.
they will not, repeat WILL NOT, recapture the magnificence of Urban Hymns, but that is not a reason to be disinterested.
IMHO, I believe that UH was the best album of the 90s, along with Achtung, Baby.
I just wonder if they'll try to "update" their sound like many of these bands often do. i hope not.
A new life awaits you in the off-world colonies, the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure.

Let's Go . . . To the colonies !

#10 of 12 OFFLINE   Jean D

Jean D

Screenwriter

• 1,329 posts

Posted July 08 2007 - 01:40 AM

I have a bunch of Verve stuff. some of it is hard to get.

1. Verve E.P.
2. A Storm in Heaven
3. No Come Down (B-Sides)
4. A Northern Soul
5. Urban Hymns
6. This is Music (Greatest Hits) (2 unreleased songs)
7. The Acoustic Sessions (19 tracks; mostly acoustic live stuff, sound quality isnt great)
8. Live @ Wigan (5-24-98) (Sound quality is moderate)

I think my favorites are a Storm in Heaven and Urban Hymns. I have to admit though, Gravity Grave is a great song, I love the bass line. I'm not too fond of Ashcroft's solo stuff though. I cant wait to see how they evolved.

#11 of 12 OFFLINE   Alex-C

Alex-C

Screenwriter

• 1,240 posts

Posted July 08 2007 - 02:41 AM

Nice to hear that Jean.

1. EP - check
2. A Storm... - check
3. No Come Down - check
4. A Northern Soul - check
5. Urban Hymns--whats that ?

Three Steps
Change My Life
Monte Carlo

I'd be interested in the acoustic stuff if the quality was worth it. I really like the Make It Til Monday acoustic off of No Come Down.
A new life awaits you in the off-world colonies, the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure.

Let's Go . . . To the colonies !

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   Jean D

Jean D

Screenwriter

• 1,329 posts

Posted October 24 2007 - 01:55 PM

Quote:
Now, in a phenomenally exciting world exclusive, The Verve are giving away the first fruits of the recording session – the actual first 14 minutes they laid down together – through NME.com. No rehearsal, no fine tuning, no limits: just Richard Ashcroft, Nick McCabe, Simon Jones and Pete Salisbury back together in a room, making music.
via NME.com
Apparently the Verve got together, hit record and the free track being released is what occured. its not bad either. By the way, if anyone downloads this and needs album art for the ID3 tag, I've already created one here.
Posted Image

Forum Nav Content I Follow