Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

FRT/CNTR SPEAKER PLACEMENT HEIGHT?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   monoverb

monoverb

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted June 26 2007 - 07:10 AM

Afternoon all.. Setting up a new theater... across the front it's 3 Triad LCR in walls.. these speakers are quite tall.. the tweeters have a 30 degree dispersion pattern. Question i have is HOW LOW can I mount them? My display should be at eye level..obviously I cant have the speakers at ear level... so given the 30 degree dispersion.. if i get out a triangle and some string I suppose I can get a good idea of where the sound is gonna go..right? or am i overthinking this whole mess?

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles

Producer

• 4,791 posts

Posted June 27 2007 - 06:46 AM

You want to get them as close to ear level as possible, basically.

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   MikeNg

MikeNg

Second Unit

• 440 posts

Posted June 27 2007 - 08:51 AM

More specifically, try to get the tweeters as close to your seated listening level as you can, and your center channel tweeter be within +/-2 vertical feet of the L/R channel tweeters (so that the imaging doesn't 'pull' up or down). Dispersion is more about listening area coverage.

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,631 posts

Posted June 27 2007 - 09:58 AM

Why can't you have the L/R at ear level? The center can be above or below the monitor. I prefer above, but some people prefer below.

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   monoverb

monoverb

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted July 02 2007 - 01:16 AM

Thanks all... really it became a question of asthetics... A little planning would have gone a long way. I'm re-thinking it now in PROJECTOR terms.. may mount the speakers at the ideal height with a screen that allows sound through it..so the speaker mounting height would no longer be an issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users