Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

WHV Press Release: Josie and the Pussycats: The Complete Series

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,608 posts

Posted June 26 2007 - 04:04 AM

HANNA-BARBERA CARTOON CLASSIC
JOSIE AND THE PUSSYCATS: THE COMPLETE SERIES
ROCK & ROLLS ITS WAY ONTO DVD FOR THE FIRST TIME
SEPTEMBER 18, 2007
FROM WARNER HOME VIDEO

The “Purrrfect” Title for Fans of Classic Animation,
DVD will Include a Bonus Documentary and 16 Episodes on a Two-Disc Set

BURBANK, CA (June 26, 2007) – Break out the leopard print leotards! Josie and the Pussycats will rock consumers on September 18, 2007 when Warner Home Video (WHV) releases Hanna-Barbera’s animated classic series, Josie and the Pussycats: The Complete Series on DVD for the first time. Television viewers will sing and dance to Josie, Melody and Valerie’s groovy hits as the trio encounters all sorts of mysteries and adventures while traveling the world performing gigs. The two-disc DVD set will retail for $26.99 SRP.

Loved by television audiences for their catchy songs and exciting escapades, Josie and the Pussycats originally debuted on CBS’ Saturday morning lineup. The characters were first created by John Goldwater and Richard Goldwater for the Josie and the Pussycats comic book and were designed by Dan DeCarlo. Hanna-Barbera Productions adapted the comic book into a Saturday morning television program. The series followed the exploits of the all-girl animated pop music group which would get caught up in wild adventures, dangerous spy capers and intriguing mysteries while they toured the world with their entourage.

Donning leopard print leotards, long tails and ears for hats during their performances, the group was comprised of Pussycats lead Josie McCoy on guitar, ditsy Melody Valentine on drums and Valerie Brown on tambourines. Their entourage consisted of Josie’s handsome boyfriend and band roadie Alan Mayberry, their cowardly manager Alexander Cabot, and Alexander’s scheming, cantankerous sister Alexandra Cabot, whose mission was to steal Alan away from Josie and take over as the Pussycats’ lead. Lastly, they were joined by their snickering feline companion Sebastian, who not only happened to be just as sneaky and catty as Alexandra but would carry out a lot of her dirty work which would usually get the whole gang into some kind of trouble.

“We think television fans will enjoy re-discovering this wonderful cartoon series. The stories are well-written and clever, the music is infectious, and the animation is bright and lively, presented in a way only Hanna-Barbera can,” said Dorinda Marticorena, WHV Vice President of Family, Animation & Sports Marketing. She added, “Josie and the Pussycats is a delight and is sure to make viewers reminisce about the Saturday mornings they spent watching their favorite cartoons.”

Josie and the Pussycats: The Complete Series will include a bonus documentary focusing on Josie and the Pussycats designer, Dan DeCarlo. Titled: The Allure and Charm of Dan DeCarlo, the documentary tells the story of the comic book artist, turned gag cartoonist and illustrator, who contributed to the creation of the legendary Archie comics’ as well as some of the most racy golden age pin up girl art to date. The ironies of this life and the beauty derived from tragedy are what defined Dan as a gentleman, artist and father. The documentary explores the man’s life through the words of his biographer as well as colleagues from his professional life, including renowned comic book superhero creator Stan Lee.

The Credits

With operations in 90 international territories Warner Home Video, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company, commands the largest distribution infrastructure in the global video marketplace. Warner Home Video's film library is the largest of any studio, offering top quality new and vintage titles from the repertoires of Warner Bros. Pictures, Turner Entertainment, Castle Rock Entertainment, HBO Home Video and New Line Home Entertainment.

For more information on this and other titles distributed by Warner Home Video, visit www.whvdirect.com.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 7 Shawn_C

Shawn_C

Stunt Coordinator

• 68 posts

Posted September 22 2007 - 04:00 AM

Warner Home Video and Archie Comics Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.
Thank you for releasing Josie and the Pussycats on DVD. I am little bit disappointed that other cast members were not interviewed and information about the real band was not added as a feature but I am glad the series is released. And it is doing well in sales according to amazon.

Thanks again,

#3 of 7 Xenia Stathakopoulou

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Screenwriter

• 2,417 posts

Posted September 22 2007 - 04:57 AM

I have a request for Warner !!!!!!!!!!!!! If and when they decide to release josie and the pussycats in outer space, as a bonus feature have the crossover episode the haunted showboat, from the scooby doo movies.Because , lets face it, if we dont see it there, we will never see it.Please Warner !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
At last my body is reunited with my soul which was always feminine.

#4 of 7 Xenia Stathakopoulou

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Screenwriter

• 2,417 posts

Posted September 25 2007 - 10:10 AM

Ive recieved my set today, my only complaint about it is, they dont even have a single chapter stop in the episodes.Ive only watched the first episode , so im assuming the no chapter stops are on all episodes.They could at least have added one chapter stop after the theme song.I agree with others that said the laugh track should have remained, but it doesnt take away from enjoying the show.Besides, even though I havent watched it in years , I can pretty easily guess the parts where the laugh track would be, depending on what theyre saying.

#5 of 7 Steve_Z

Steve_Z

Stunt Coordinator

• 164 posts

Posted September 25 2007 - 10:41 AM

Yeah I know when a lot of the laugh tracks would have been, and at least every time Melody says something, she was hillarous.

Archie comics had to clear the rights for the show to be released on DVD, the relationship between Archie and Warner must have improved since the time they released the New Scooby Doo Movies. Archie did block the episode Josie and the Pussycats guest starred on from being included.

#6 of 7 chas speed

chas speed

Second Unit

• 347 posts

Posted September 25 2007 - 11:20 AM

I love the show, but the transfer is nothing to write home about (fair at best).

#7 of 7 Xenia Stathakopoulou

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Screenwriter

• 2,417 posts

Posted September 25 2007 - 12:03 PM

I agree,but I also find it odd that this doesnt look as good as the archie show from almost the same era ! In its defence though , it looks about the same as the jetsons release and the early seasons of flinstones.Colors are excellent though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users