What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: The Warriors (1 Viewer)

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Blu-ray Disc/DVD REVIEW

ronsreviews_covers_83926.jpg">

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Nice review.
I too like the vibe of The original version but aside from the comic graphics and intros, there are several instances where there are new (done digitally) slow zoom-ins on previously static shots. Subtle but effective.
Too bad Paramount shafted the BD audio yet again compared to the HDdvd.
Hey Paramount? How about a 1.5 mps DTS track...?

norrisMc

Stunt Coordinator
I love "THE WARRIORS". It always holds a nostalgic place in my heart. I love the "WARRIORS" vest as well. Someone on HTF had one and posted a pic once. So cool!

I'm also looking forward to Walter Hill's other gang epic "STREETS OF FIRE" on HD in July. That should look and sound awesome!

MattFini

Supporting Actor
I really wish they'd gone ahead and given us the original theatrical cut.

I, too, found the changes far too distracting.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the review. Nice to hear Paramount did well with this one and hopefully with The Untouchables.

I actually passed on this because it wasn't the original cut.

On a side note - out of the "bonus" features that I enjoy most (Well made Docs, deleted scenes, informative commentaries, etc) for me nothing comes close to having multiple versions of the film as a complete set. It's been done so few times over the years with DVD releases yet it's this feature that I cherish the most.

I really wish these studios would go this route more often than they do, especially with these HD formats.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member

That was me, Norris!

[url=https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/f/f2/htf_imgcache_9025.png] [/url]

Cool Warriors fan site with a forum...

http://warriorsmovie.co.uk/

When Swan, Ajax and Snow are running from the Furies and stop on the street when Ajax says, "Did we lose these f*cking clowns..." that's my apartment window! That's 100th street between West End ave. and Riverside Drive and one of my windows is in the shot, (has black iron bars in front of it) When I moved there 9 yrs. ago I was psyched, "Dudes! My window's in "The Warriors" Bars on far left are one of my windows. Although we are currently in Cali. I still have the place, being sublet to someone.

[url=https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/9/9d/htf_imgcache_9027.jpeg] [/url]

Walter Hill has pretty much gone on record saying that this new version is his preferred one and kinda what he wanted all along. I just start it after the new intro at the wonder wheel. I got used to the new segues now and don't mind them too much anymore.

:)

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

Dave, I don't know if you noticed, but the forthcoming The Untouchables HD release features DTS-HD on both BD and HD DVD. Hopefully, a sign of audio equality to come...

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

as did I for the same reason.
It's a shame Paramount only lives in the now. not all of us appreciate these digital re-mixes. Some of us just want the real thing.

I really wish the technology existed to give us both :rolleyes

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
The technology does exist, it's called seamless branching, and I assume HD and BD have it. It's just seldom used. Heck, I can do it with stuff taped off of TV in the 1980s to watch it with or without the original commercials.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

I was being facetious (hence the roll eyes).
I have a feeling this sad subject will get another workout when Paramount puts out the Star Trek series later this year.
Somehow I'm not expecting Paramount to catch a clue between now and then, and the only verison we are likely to see will again be the 200x era digital re-mix.

yipee.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
I tried watching the newer version when it was released on DVD, and I stress tried, as I finally had to give up, not liking the changes. But the idea of a better looking edition makes me want to try again. Thanks for the review.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
"Can you dig it?"

no, actually I can't. I watched the Bd via netflix last night. Impressive PQ for (what I assume) was a lower budget 1979 picture...but I thought the new transitions were ass and the written and v.o'd prolouge was pretentious and unneccessary. But the transitions were the bigger problem- not only were they cheaply and unartfully done*, but they made at least a couple of scene breaks confusing- primarily the one that introduces the Furies. Thanks, but no thanks Walter. No one , after the initial release, has taken the film seriously on a literal level, so the impetus behind adding this stuff in now is completely baffling.

afterwards I pulled out my first edition, non molested dvd version and was surprised to see how well the image held up to the HD. there was a slight loss of res, and some attendent but slight ringing- but on the whole, it was a fine, highly watchable image. And to see the the scenes play out and flow into one another naturally, and the see the characters walk off under the Joe Walsh cut, instead of that cheesy paintbox image...I'll happily just stick with this lower res version for the foreseeable future.

*While I don't think there was anyway these comicbook transitions would have helped the film compared to the original editing, they should have at least hired an honest to God illustrator to render the panels. Some Wally Wood style inking, added to some slightly off register process color on a slightly textured cream colored background, along with hand lettered dialouge and captions, would have looked a hell of a lot better than what they came up with. What Hill did, imo, just cheapens the film, rather than extending its shelf life. Horrible creative decision(I realize none of these opinions are new since the DC is a couple years old now, but still felt a need to vent)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I've never seen this flick before watching it last night. A lot of people on this board seemed to have a high opinion of the film, so I picked it up as a blind buy. It was entertaining, but it was also kind of corny. I also think the comic book transitions were not well thought out. Every time they occurred the flow of the film was broken.

It was a decent enough, but rather ridiculous, flick. I actually found the supplements regarding the making of the film to be more interesting than the actual film.

Originally Posted by Edwin-S

...I actually found the supplements regarding the making of the film to be more interesting than the actual film.
I've experienced this before, and I always feel its a bad sign for the film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks