Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

My problem with the Wizard of Oz

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 of 44 OFFLINE   Bob McLaughlin

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter

• 1,130 posts

Posted June 22 2007 - 06:47 AM

Maybe this should be under the movies thread, but... Why aren't Dorothy, Scarecrow, the Tin Man and the Cowardly Lion more angry with the Wizard at the end of the movie? He just sent them on a wild goose chase that would almost certainly get them killed--trying to get the Wicked Witch's broomstick--and in fact Dorothy is only moments from being killed when she is saved. So when the Wizard reveals that he just made the whole Wizard mythos up, why aren't they like, "You lying motherf***er!" and beating the living crap out of him? They just kind of shrug it off. I know, I need help. But this has always bothered me.
"I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND!!!" - Barton Fink

#2 of 44 OFFLINE   Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood

Producer

• 3,215 posts

Posted June 22 2007 - 07:29 AM

> "You lying motherf***er!" and beating the living crap out of him? I don't think the board that approved movies in 1939 would have let the movie be released with a scene like that. You know this is based on a kid's book, not a rap album, right?

#3 of 44 OFFLINE   Michael Warner

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor

• 742 posts

Posted June 22 2007 - 03:36 PM

You know with the editing tools available today and the ubiquitous YouTube you really should put together your own Wizard of Oz: Smackdown edition.
Xbox Live: mugwumps

#4 of 44 OFFLINE   Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted June 22 2007 - 04:00 PM

Read "Wicked". It's a great book from another perspective.. I loved it. Dorothy as someone who just killed someone else with her house, and didn't find out any real details outside of stealing from the corpse. The wizard and high society practicing oppression against others. At times too wordy, but I enjoyed the read Posted Image
My Current DVD-Profiler

"I've been Ostrafied!" - Christopher, Sopranos 5/6/07

#5 of 44 OFFLINE   Zack Gibbs

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

• 1,687 posts

Posted June 22 2007 - 04:19 PM

They got what they wanted didn't they?
"Because he's the hero that Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now... and so we'll hunt him... because he can take it... because he's not a hero... he's a silent guardian, a watchful protector... a DARK KNIGHT."

#6 of 44 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,985 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted June 22 2007 - 06:11 PM

How about staging a beat-down on that bitch Glinda who could have told Dorothy right at the start that she had the power to go home rather than sending her on some wild goose chase down the yellow brick road.

MAD-TV actually did a sketch about this, I believe. Posted Image
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#7 of 44 OFFLINE   ScottR

ScottR

Screenwriter

• 2,650 posts

Posted June 23 2007 - 08:56 AM

They didn't get angry because he made them realize that they already had everything they needed in life...they didn't need a Wizard at all.

#8 of 44 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,633 posts

Posted June 23 2007 - 11:14 AM

Yeah, and the Wicked Witch as a misunderstood animal-rights activist, none of which comes from the original story that I can see. I don't care much for stories that muddle good and evil like that.

#9 of 44 OFFLINE   Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted June 23 2007 - 01:20 PM

I think people take it too seriously. I thought "Wicked" was delicious. Posted Image
My Current DVD-Profiler

#10 of 44 OFFLINE   Luis Esp

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor

• 585 posts

Posted June 24 2007 - 03:32 AM

"Wizard of OZ: Smackdown Edition"

I would love to see that, especially the part where Glinda the Good Witch tells Dorothy she had the power all along to take herself home, with red ruby slippers, and Dorothy goes off on Glinda's ass:

"Why the &%@ didn't you tell me this before?

I could have save myself a whole lotta time, avoid meeting these creepy hellium filled muchkins,not hooking up with these 3 clowns who kept slowing my ass down, and most of all, not have to deal with a crazy ass bitchwitch, who's flying monkies will leave permantly scarred for life, and the fact that I've got her blood on my hands, thanks for nothin'!"

And Dorothy proceeds and gives Glinda a good ass kicking with those same very Red Ruby Slippers.

"Do you like apples...how do you like d'em apples?"

http://www.clayboys....l=birt&index=25
I'm not nice...people just make that assumption of me.

#11 of 44 OFFLINE   Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted June 24 2007 - 04:55 AM

For a second there, I was thinking you said "licking" in regards to dorothy & glenda and I about spit my drink.
My Current DVD-Profiler

#12 of 44 OFFLINE   Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell

Screenwriter

• 2,078 posts

Posted June 24 2007 - 07:11 AM

You guys realize you're killing my childhood with all this talk, don't you?

#13 of 44 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 32,929 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted June 24 2007 - 01:22 PM

Let's begin casting. How about:

Scarecrow: Bruce Willis
Tin Man: Samuel L. Jackson
Lion: Ice Cube
Dorothy: Uma (Kill Bill) Thurman

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#14 of 44 OFFLINE   Luis Esp

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor

• 585 posts

Posted June 24 2007 - 01:56 PM

Hmmm...I would prefer to see Milla Jovovich as Dorothy...she's got better moves than Uma. Although, I'd like to update the story and bring a little sass to Dorothy...maybe Jessica Alba or or Salma Hayek. As the witch...I see Cameron Diaz or better yet, Rosie O'Donnell. As OZ himself....someone who's into the whole Scientology thing...oh the irony! I'd say John Travolta, but nobody could play it better than Tom Cruise. And we can have Queen Latifah as Glinda Now for a real actor for the role, no other than Johnny Depp would suffice. And of course, Tim Burton would have to direct.
I'm not nice...people just make that assumption of me.

#15 of 44 OFFLINE   Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted June 24 2007 - 04:12 PM

I'd rather have Martin Scorsese direct it...call it Gangs of OZ or Raging Dorothy.
-Kevin M.

There's a human tendency to resent anyone who disagrees with our pleasures.  The less mature interpret that as a personal attack on themselves.
- Roger Ebert

#16 of 44 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 11,035 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted June 24 2007 - 11:59 PM

No, that movie would be "The Wizard of O". Posted Image

#17 of 44 OFFLINE   Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner

Screenwriter

• 2,950 posts

Posted June 25 2007 - 06:07 AM

Sigourney Weaver as the Wicked Witch Wire-fu choreography by Yuen Wo-Ping Creature effects by Sam Winston Soundtrack by TV On The Radio

#18 of 44 OFFLINE   JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,794 posts

Posted June 25 2007 - 07:02 AM

Posted Image@ Sam Jackson as Tin Man (w/Bad Motherf@cker engraved on his oil can)

How about James Gandolfini as The Lion
Posted Image

I never cared much for WOZ and would love to see a update.

#19 of 44 OFFLINE   Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted June 25 2007 - 05:01 PM

Ziyi Zhang as Dorothy Harvey Keitel as The Scarecrow Robert De Niro as The Tin Man Burt Young as The Cowardly Lion Fairuza Balk as The Wicked Witch of the West Steve Zahn as Flying Monkey(s) John Malkovich as The Wizard
-Kevin M.

There's a human tendency to resent anyone who disagrees with our pleasures.  The less mature interpret that as a personal attack on themselves.
- Roger Ebert

#20 of 44 OFFLINE   Bob McLaughlin

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter

• 1,130 posts

Posted June 26 2007 - 03:23 AM

Can't top Samuel L. Jackson as the Tin Man! Willem Dafoe as the Wizard Steve Buscemi as the Scarecrow Joe Pesci as the Cowardly Lion
"I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND!!!" - Barton Fink

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users