What's new

"The Wonder Years" on DVD (1 Viewer)

Darth Bowie

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
Hello to all!
I've been hearing rumors about season sets of "The Wonder Years" being released on dvd in time for its 20th anniversary (January 31, 2008). With the ION television station playing the entire series with its original music intact (!!!), I'm beginning to take these rumors seriously. Has anyone else heard about a near-future release?
Thank you
:)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Well, before it gets out of hand, let me sum it up:
—The licensing was for broadcast only. No one thought ahead to home video licensing for TV shows in 1988.
—Fox owns it, and while we all know what happened with WKRP in Cincinnati, they have said they don't want to release it without the music intact.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Fox owns it, and while we all know what happened with WKRP in Cincinnati
Not to mention that apparently they couldn't even manage to secure the DVD rights for a lot of music on "My Name is Earl" a show that is only two seasons old.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I'm sure they could, they just didn't. The only way they "couldn't" is if one or more of the owners of a song says "not for any price." If they asked and that happened, that's one thing, but when they don't even bother to ask (they could be pleasantly surprised), that's when it really bothers me.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
Dan Lauria recently did an interview on some Internet talk show where he said that the DVDs are still held up in music rights limbo. I don't think we'll be seeing it for quite a while.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
You can always record it yourself, edit out the Commercials and make yourself a "Poor Mans Box Set"!:D
(Remember in 1984 the US Supreme Court handed down a Decision that stated that Recording Programs for Personal Consumption does not Violate Copyright Laws):emoji_thumbsup:

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
It would be a very poor man's box set as ION airs edited syndication versions and squeezes the credits into a tiny unreadable box.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Oh dear, yet another Wonder Years discussion. Seeing this show again really makes me want it done properly on DVD. But I don't expect it to happen soon or at all.

I'm just thankful to have it back on TV in some form.

Darth Bowie

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
In 2005-6, a Fox rep said that the DVDs would be available within 2 years.
Who would like to contact Steve Feldstein (senior vice president of Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment) and Jyoti Sarda (20th Century Fox Marketing) to check on its status?
:crazy:

Alan Lee UK

Stunt Coordinator
Does anybody know how long the episodes were when originally broadcast?

It is currently being shown over here on TMF, and the episodes are coming in at about 23 mins (at PAL speed). Unusually for this day and age, the credits are not being talked over or squashed, but unfortunately they spoil it with the ugliest and most distracting logo I've ever seen in the top left corner throughout the show.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
Darth Bowie said:
With the ION television station playing the entire series with its original music intact (!!!), I'm beginning to take these rumors seriously. Has anyone else heard about a near-future release?
They are the same edited versions Turner used to show, however.
(oops, already covered I guess)

Darth Bowie

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
How much would you willingly pay for the OFFICIAL DVD sets of "The Wonder Years" with the original music intact?
Myself:
Season 1 (6 episodes): $29.99 - $34.99
Season Sets (Seasons 2-6): $59.99 - $69.99
Complete Series Set (Seasons 1-6): $329.99 - $349.99
You?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Darth Bowie said:
Hello to all!
I've been hearing rumors about season sets of "The Wonder Years" being released on dvd in time for its 20th anniversary (January 31, 2008). With the ION television station playing the entire series with its original music intact (!!!), I'm beginning to take these rumors seriously. Has anyone else heard about a near-future release?
Thank you
:)
i have been filling my dvr with these off ion.
are you sure the music is all there.
sounds like a lot of generic music in there to me.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
As much as I'd like to think that the reruns means a pending DVD release I'm not going to hold my breath. There are plenty of shows that have resurfaced in syndication with no DVD release in sight. Alice, anyone ? No DVD release and now ION has dropped it, too.

RoryR

Stunt Coordinator
Its grim I must say.

A UK release date was posted last year and it never happened, they managed to release Ally McBeal here - the laws are different, easier, and they still couldn't get this show out ... there can't be much hope for the US.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Darth Bowie said:
How much would you willingly pay for the OFFICIAL DVD sets of "The Wonder Years" with the original music intact?
Myself:
You?
That's not so bad. It worked for Miami Vice. It's still less than the Twilight Zone which doesn't have the music issues. You could probably find each season online for $45.
It can be done. It merely requires a little effort on Fox's part, which was sadly denied to WKRP in Cincinnati.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
I know that every single set is different, but they managed to get the first season of SNL out there retailing for ~$50, which I think would be a fair price for each season (besides the first obviously...if not packaged with the second, I'd pay maybe $25).

Darth Bowie

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
MatthewA said:
That's not so bad. It worked for Miami Vice. It's still less than the Twilight Zone which doesn't have the music issues. You could probably find each season online for $45.
It can be done. It merely requires a little effort on Fox's part, which was sadly denied to WKRP in Cincinnati.
Correct, retail outlets would have the sets on sale, therefore, I believe Fox should set the retail price at $79.99 ($59.99 on sale) for each season WITH THE ORIGINAL MUSIC INTACT. For the short 1st season, set it at $39.99 ($24.99 on sale).

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Darth Bowie said:
Myself:
You?
I'd pay $70 or 80 a season (slightly less for season 1). $500 for the whole series at once if that was how they wanted to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks