Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The re-announcement of the preannouncement denial of 'Badder Santa' in BD

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 of 17 OFFLINE   ppltd

ppltd

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted June 22 2007 - 04:04 AM

Well, maybe someday the Studio's and their press people will actually start talking together. After being announced a few weeks ago, then promptly denied by Buena Vista, it is now reconfirmed. Badder Santa is coming to blu-ray.
Quote:
Mirroring the original retail announcement, 'Badder Santa' is due on November 20. Tech specs include a 1080p/AVC MPEG-4 transfer, plus an uncompressed PCM 5.1 surround track.
While there are no Blu-ray exclusives currently planned (aside from Disney's standard Movie Showcase scene access feature), the studios says the next-gen edition will boast the same extras as the standard-def DVD version, including a featurette, deleted scenes, outtakes and a gag reel.
Retail price is a suggested $29.95.
Badder Santa Announcement

Thomas Eisenmann(Last updated 09/30/11)

Blu-Ray Collection  DVD Collection, Numerous BD players,

LG 55LX6500 55-Inch 3D 1080p 240 Hz LED

Pioneer VSX-94TXH, Panasonic PT-AE7000U 3D 1080p (PT-AE8000 Just Ordered, 

1124 BDs and going up, 1028 - DVDs and going down.

#2 of 17 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted June 22 2007 - 04:33 AM

This is what I was getting at in the Sergio Leone thread. I think we're seeing glimpses of things to come sooner than the companies want. During this whole format war, the studios have been playing their cards frustrating close to their vests.

In a weird turn of events, at least to me, it seems that foreign announcements are ahead of US ones, but, hopefully, they will be a good indicator of what's in store.
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#3 of 17 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,305 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted June 22 2007 - 04:45 AM

The studios simply don't want to tip their hand earlier than they are ready to. Combine that with potential production problems that would cause delays, they are being VERY cautious.

I personally know of a couple titles from one studio that are finished, packaging and all, but have yet to be announced. One of them is a AFI Top 100 film. Why isn't it announced? The studio has concerns over production problems.

But I expect an announcement soon that will make some people very, very happy.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#4 of 17 OFFLINE   ppltd

ppltd

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted June 22 2007 - 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Arnette
In a weird turn of events, at least to me, it seems that foreign announcements are ahead of US ones, but, hopefully, they will be a good indicator of what's in store.
I hope so too.
Thomas Eisenmann(Last updated 09/30/11)

Blu-Ray Collection  DVD Collection, Numerous BD players,

LG 55LX6500 55-Inch 3D 1080p 240 Hz LED

Pioneer VSX-94TXH, Panasonic PT-AE7000U 3D 1080p (PT-AE8000 Just Ordered, 

1124 BDs and going up, 1028 - DVDs and going down.

#5 of 17 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted June 22 2007 - 05:15 AM

Quote:
I personally know of a couple titles from one studio that are finished, packaging and all, but have yet to be announced.

Blue state, red state, or neutral? Posted Image
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal

#6 of 17 OFFLINE   Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins

Screenwriter

• 1,765 posts

Posted June 22 2007 - 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway
I personally know of a couple titles from one studio that are finished, packaging and all, but have yet to be announced. One of them is a AFI Top 100 film. Why isn't it announced? The studio has concerns over production problems.

But I expect an announcement soon that will make some people very, very happy.

I know you can't really elaborate, but by "production problems" do you mean compatibility issues or something else entirely?

#7 of 17 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,305 posts

Posted June 22 2007 - 07:32 AM

I won't say "Red, Blue or Neutral" as that will narrow it down too much.

As far as compatibility vs. something else - both are concerns.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#8 of 17 OFFLINE   Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

Screenwriter

• 2,737 posts

Posted June 22 2007 - 07:39 AM

Hopefully this means that LOST may indeed be coming later this year.
I don't believe in transcending the genre, I believe IN the genre - Joss Whedon

#9 of 17 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted June 22 2007 - 07:39 AM

Brandon, well you just aren't any fun at all. Posted Image

I'm guessing Lawrence of Arabia on BD. And that's my final answer. Posted Image

The Jackal

#10 of 17 OFFLINE   Ben_Williams

Ben_Williams

Second Unit

• 454 posts

Posted June 22 2007 - 09:54 AM

Lawrence of Arabia is something I am just ecstatic to see on BD.

On a completely different level, I'm also excited about Badder Santa. It's simply one of the funniest movies in recent memory.

#11 of 17 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted June 22 2007 - 10:26 AM

I'm betting it's Lawrence too.

good news. Thanks Brandon! Posted Image

#12 of 17 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,305 posts

Posted June 22 2007 - 11:07 AM

Lawrence is well known to be on the way via thedigitalbits.com and other websites, as well as Sony's own promo trailer on their BD titles. It wasn't one of the titles I was referring to, but it certainly is being held up for similar reasons.

So, the best I can offer is: try again. Posted Image

#13 of 17 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted June 23 2007 - 03:47 AM

They're announcing a title all the way into Nov?! Does Disney announce things out of turn or can we expect nothing from Aug to Oct?

There's a ton of recent non-animated titles (Pulp Fiction, Sin City, Kill Bill 1 and 2, Tombstone, Open Range, The Sixth Sense, Jackie Brown, Signs, Unbreakable, From Dusk Til Dawn, Crimson Tide, Hero, Chronicles of Narnia, etc) which Disney controls that I'd love to own in HD but unfortunately for me Bad Santa isn't one of them.
Death before Streaming!

#14 of 17 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted June 23 2007 - 07:24 AM

Quote:

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid?

Also, how much of it is really compatibility and production issues, and how much of it is lackluster sales, even in HD terms, of classic titles?

The Jackal

#15 of 17 OFFLINE   DanR

DanR

Supporting Actor

• 676 posts

Posted June 23 2007 - 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway
Oh, maybe Taxi Driver? Posted Image

#16 of 17 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,305 posts

Posted June 23 2007 - 09:42 AM

Quote:
They're announcing a title all the way into Nov?! Does Disney announce things out of turn or can we expect nothing from Aug to Oct?

Disney at times announces out of order. Santa Clause 3 was announced for a November BD release way back in March.

Quote:
Also, how much of it is really compatibility and production issues, and how much of it is lackluster sales, even in HD terms, of classic titles?

No reason to not release these titles because of lackluster sales if they're already finished. Production has already been paid for. Why not allow it to reach the market and make some money back? Any sales are better than no sales for a finished product.

#17 of 17 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted June 23 2007 - 03:14 PM

Limited production capacity? That has at least seemed to be something of an issue for BD, and a studio might want to use what they can get on things they're more sure they will sell.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow