Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Alamo Extended Version on PBS

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 Ernest

Ernest

Supporting Actor

• 505 posts

Posted June 21 2007 - 11:42 AM

PBS, channel 43.2, is broadcasting the extended version of John Wayne's Alamo in "letterbox". It is highly recommended the movie be recorded from OTA transmission decoded by an ATSC tuner. I recorded the movie to the new Philips HD recorder being sold by WalMart.

The recording was done in the SP speed to come as close as possible to duplicating the PBS transmission. The beginning and ending junk were deleted using "divide a program" and the dubbing was done in real time using the auto recording feature.

The dubbing came out very good no jettering or simmering just a softer picture when compared to a high quality dual layer DVD. So for anyone interested in the long version of the Alamo PBS is the answer for now. Hopefully, MGM will release the longer version, but for now PBS is as good as it gets.

#2 of 8 TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 15,965 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted June 21 2007 - 01:47 PM

well you didnt mention were you were.
your pbs isnt the same as mine.
what is 43.2?

no alamo here.

facebook.com/whotony

#3 of 8 FrancisP

FrancisP

Screenwriter

• 1,105 posts

Posted June 21 2007 - 03:48 PM

I taped it off of TCM a month ago. Taped it on a double-layered dvd-r so I could tape it at the slowest speed possible. Came out pretty well.

#4 of 8 Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff

Screenwriter

• 1,999 posts

Posted June 21 2007 - 04:52 PM

I think it's interesting how the word "tape," which used to mean, well, tape, has come to be a general term for "record," even when tape isn't literally involved. But the last message has me really confused. If you use a double-layered DVD, it seems you'd do so in order to record at the fastest speed possible, not the slowest -- or, more specifically, at the highest bitrate.

#5 of 8 TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 15,965 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted June 21 2007 - 04:56 PM

thats probably what was meant.
anyway i see that my local pbs will have this on sat night.
a 3 hr 15 minute time slot.

guess that the long version.
too bad local pbs is awful in pq

facebook.com/whotony

#6 of 8 Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,877 posts

Posted June 22 2007 - 12:24 AM

So why isn't this longer version on DVD?
Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#7 of 8 David_B_K

David_B_K

Advanced Member

• 1,402 posts

Posted June 22 2007 - 01:19 AM

Quote:
So why isn't this longer version on DVD?

I think it has been mentioned on some John Wayne thread or other, but apparently, the roadshow version was lost. The missing scenes were found, and incorporated into a laserdisc special edition. However, some attempt at restoring or cleaning the film caused it to deteriorate, so apparently, it is lost. Maybe Mr Harris can shed some light on this.

The version shown on PBS affiliates, and TCM is probably the laserdisc version.

#8 of 8 Chuck Pennington

Chuck Pennington

Supporting Actor

• 829 posts

Posted April 19 2012 - 04:23 AM

If anyone is interested, I compared the Roadshow and General Release versions of THE ALAMO and posted an analysis with clips of altered/deleted footage here - enjoy! Please post comments under that thread and not here. http://www.hometheat...on#post_3918096

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users