Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Girl's Feet Severed on Theme Park Ride

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#1 of 95 OFFLINE   Michael_K_Sr

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter

• 1,349 posts
  • LocationChicago 'burbs

Posted June 21 2007 - 11:15 AM

I love amusement parks and thrill rides, but I don't think I'll ever look at a freefall ride again...

Girl's Feet Cut Off at Six Flags

One report states that a snapped cable whipped around and severed the young girl's feet. Gruesome. Posted Image

#2 of 95 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,839 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted June 21 2007 - 12:09 PM

It's like something out of "Final Destination". Posted Image

On the bright side (if there is one), at least the cable didn't strike her above the waist or she'd likely be dead.
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#3 of 95 OFFLINE   MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted June 21 2007 - 02:15 PM

Man wasn't meant to endure these kind of rides. Posted Image

Many years ago (when these types of rides were just starting out), I knew someone who knew a guy that worked on one of those types of rides as Disney World (Tower of death?). He said that they had to replace the cabling every few days because the tension (from constant use) would weaken the cable.

That was enough to solidify my life long stance on never riding any of these types of rides.

#4 of 95 OFFLINE   Joseph S

Joseph S

Screenwriter

• 2,865 posts

Posted June 21 2007 - 02:38 PM

The video story on the website is actually sponsored by Six Flags???

#5 of 95 OFFLINE   Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman

Producer

• 3,817 posts

Posted June 21 2007 - 03:06 PM

I remember "The Edge" at what was then Marriott's Great America in Gurnee, IL. You would free fall and then the track would curve and you'd wind up on your back. My friends and I went on it once when it first opened. After that, it was closed for repairs most of the time. Apparently the brakes had failed a few times and a few people had received back injuries. Then there was a fatality one summer and the ride shut down permanently. I'm sure that had a hand in why Marriott got out of the amusement business and sold the park to Six Flags. What's interesting.. looking at the safety commision report at the bottom of the article, you'll see there's been many more fatalities on "fixed site" amusement park-type rides than the "mobile" carney-type rides. Some of those carney rides scare the sh!t out of me mostly because I don't have a lot of confidence in the people running them.

#6 of 95 OFFLINE   Michael_K_Sr

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter

• 1,349 posts
  • LocationChicago 'burbs

Posted June 21 2007 - 03:31 PM

I rode The Edge several times and it's an urban myth that anyone was ever killed on it. One of my friends was at the park in '84 when they had the accident that injured a group of teenagers. For all the sensational press it got at the time, the kids were released from the hospital the same night. The ride was later dismantled and operated at another amusement park until last year. Ironically, the company that designed The Edge (Intamin AG) also designed the ride that malfunctioned today. Great America also has one of their freefall towers and it was closed today after the accident in Louisville.

#7 of 95 OFFLINE   cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,045 posts

Posted June 21 2007 - 10:59 PM

You're far more likely to be hurt or killed driving to the park than on any of the rides in the park. Do you have a life long stance on never riding any cars?

#8 of 95 OFFLINE   Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman

Producer

• 3,817 posts

Posted June 22 2007 - 12:31 AM

I stand corrected. Thanks Michael... I guess I was just a gullible 16 year old back in '84. Posted Image

#9 of 95 OFFLINE   MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted June 22 2007 - 12:39 AM

Oh come on, that's like saying that your odds of being hit by lighting are less than being killed in a car crash, so it's ok to go out with a metal suit on in a lighting storm. Posted Image

While driving a car is dangerous, it's necessary....amusement rides AREN'T necessary. I try to avoid unnecessary dangers. And even with driving, I do all I can to avoid danger. If I could find a way to avoid driving completely, I'd be 100% for it! Some dangers you just can't avoid - I can't avoid driving, but I sure as hell can avoid things like amusement parks, playing Russian Roulette Posted Image, and wearing a giant metal pole on my head during a thunderstorm. Posted Image

#10 of 95 OFFLINE   Jay H

Jay H

Producer

• 5,678 posts
  • LocationPittsfield, MA

Posted June 22 2007 - 01:26 AM

Oh Mark, where is your sense of adventure??? Posted Image

Jay
You are the crispy noodle in the vegetarian salad of life

#11 of 95 OFFLINE   Matt^Brown

Matt^Brown

Supporting Actor

• 623 posts

Posted June 22 2007 - 01:40 AM

I live in Louisville but I am just now hearing about this story. (Sorry I am a part time drunk so I don't keep up with the news) Why could they not try to re-attach the girls feet? Also, as a parent what dollar amount do you request to give your child their life back? I can not imagine being 13 and not having feet so besides being crazy and asking for it all what is a real number to numb the pain.
The Legend is better than reality!

#12 of 95 ONLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 6,308 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted June 22 2007 - 02:03 AM

They've been known to quickly get to the media and report the facts so that it doesn't get skewed. They're really good at doing that.

Terrible story. I feel real bad for that young girl (and anyone in the park that day, to a lesser degree). A day of fun ending like that. Sucks. Posted Image

I'll have no problem visiting a park like Six Flags in the future. It's kind of like swimming in the ocean even though you've seen JAWS and pictures of people who "were just swimming for snorkeling or something".
Silly Party Candidate: Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#13 of 95 OFFLINE   cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,045 posts

Posted June 22 2007 - 05:36 AM

No, it's not like that at all. I simply asserted that of the two activities--driving a car and riding a theme-park ride--driving a car is the more dangerous. I have not and would not suggest that this justifies doing anything (like riding without the safety restraints, for example) to make riding a theme-park ride more dangerous than it already is, as your bizarre "metal suit" comparison suggests.

#14 of 95 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,610 posts

Posted June 22 2007 - 05:56 AM

I guess Mark doesn't swim either, or fly anywhere on vacation, since those are "unnecessary" activities that involve a nonzero level of risk. Posted Image

#15 of 95 OFFLINE   MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted June 22 2007 - 06:08 AM

Ah yes,.....never mind!

#16 of 95 OFFLINE   Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm

Lead Actor

• 6,885 posts

Posted June 22 2007 - 06:13 AM

No way. Not even close. Not even in the same galaxy! Hundreds of thousands of people visit theme parks all over the USA and the world every day!! If accidents were as prevalent in theme parks as they are with driving you'd have tens of these incidents on a daily basis!

Wow not even close! I think you greatly over-estimate auto safety.
Philip Hamm
Moderator Emeritus

#17 of 95 OFFLINE   MarkMel

MarkMel

Screenwriter

• 1,594 posts

Posted June 22 2007 - 06:14 AM

Yeah stop ganging up on us Marks.

Besides, Mark has some Heelies to get his thrills. Posted Image

Totally in jest.

This is a tragic story and as a lover of amusement parks this will make me think twice. Although I don't really like the drop rides, roller coasters are my thing, especially the wooden ones.
"and no one seems to understand the glory of guitar, when out of tune, the off timing, the singers who can't sing, - the beauty of flaw!"

"I apologize if there is anyone in this room I have not offended" - Brahms

My Band - Charlie Don't Surf! https://www.facebook...arlieDontSurfCT

#18 of 95 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,610 posts

Posted June 22 2007 - 06:25 AM

I suspect this is also an example of thinking one is "safer" when one is in "control" (such as driving) vs. more passive activities such as riding an amusement park ride or being an airline passenger, even though such activities can be shown statistically to be safer than driving.

#19 of 95 OFFLINE   Bob McLaughlin

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter

• 1,129 posts

Posted June 22 2007 - 06:40 AM

I let CNN.com know that the video they had for this story is preceded by a commercial for Lamisil, featuring two disembodied socks talking to each other. Not the best product placement!
"I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND!!!" - Barton Fink

#20 of 95 OFFLINE   Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted June 22 2007 - 06:48 AM

I was gonna take this up but decided to leave it alone. Mark is the king of bizarre (and often flawed) comparisons Posted Image.

I was just at the local Six Flag last weekend with the little one. Horrible news Posted Image.

--
H

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users