Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Advise on where to buy a laptop

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   Cassy_w

Cassy_w

Second Unit

• 461 posts

Posted June 21 2007 - 07:15 AM

Hi gang. I am very much in need of a new laptop computer, but I am not sure where is the best place to buy one. I'm in love with the look of HP's new line of laptops, but I see varying prices and specs and it is hard for a gal like me to know which way to go. Where are the most reputable places to buy? Online and physical brick and mortar stores. Any other advice would be wonderful. Thanks!
Death to PG-13! And now death to DVNR too!!

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   SethH

SethH

Screenwriter

• 2,867 posts

Posted June 21 2007 - 09:27 AM

Do you have a brand preference? If you're interested in Dell they only sell online or through kiosks. I would recommend that you also consider Lenovo (formerly IBM). If you prefer to buy from a retailer then you will likely be limited to HP, Gateway and eMachines. HP's not a bad option if you get a good price on it.

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   Cassy_w

Cassy_w

Second Unit

• 461 posts

Posted June 21 2007 - 12:05 PM

I like the HP's. A lot. But the question is, which one to but. My budget is around $1500. I get nervous thinking about the options of Net vs retail stores. The mind buzzes.

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   Thi Them

Thi Them

Producer

• 3,650 posts

Posted June 21 2007 - 02:02 PM

I just got my Dell Inspiron E1705 a few days ago for around $1500. Nothing wrong with it so far. I'm happy. ~T

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter

• 1,529 posts

Posted June 22 2007 - 07:56 AM

Focus for this laptop would help, ie do you want to get as close to a desktop replacement as possible (ie huge screen but not all that easy to haul) or something as small as possible which compromises on power/usability?

I like the HP machines too, but since my focus is not so much on glossy looks but more on bang for the buck, I prefer their business line.

The nx9420 is very "darth vader black" but it has a huge gorgeous screen and pretty decent (if not world-beating) internal components. You can get a decent model that lists for $1699 but they seem to have some sort of sale going on so you can get rebates.

But of course, if actual portability is a huge deal or if you want something that's a bit more girly then these probably aren't for you. Posted Image
"If we do happen to step on a mine, Sir, what do we do?"
"Normal procedure, Lieutenant, is to jump 200 feet in the air and scatter oneself over a wide area." -- "BlackAdder 4"

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   Cassy_w

Cassy_w

Second Unit

• 461 posts

Posted June 22 2007 - 12:46 PM

My husband wants me to get the biggest screen possible, but I want something more portable. Maybe 15 inches. I would like an HD-DVD drive if possible. I will be using a lot of software for studying. Nothing too intensive.

The only memory hogging and power hungry stuff I get into is photos. But again, nothing insane.

I do like my stuff too look pretty. I am a girl, after all. Posted Image

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter

• 1,529 posts

Posted June 23 2007 - 03:12 AM

Well, since I'm not in the US, I've not tried buying online, but I don't see a problem buying online from HP or Dell, for instance, or a well-known shop like Newegg. Since I've never had to take up a warranty case with, for instance, Newegg I have no idea how nice they are to deal with, but I've certainly not heard anything super-negative, and they do have both a nice selection and decent pricing.

Newgg notebook selection.
"If we do happen to step on a mine, Sir, what do we do?"
"Normal procedure, Lieutenant, is to jump 200 feet in the air and scatter oneself over a wide area." -- "BlackAdder 4"

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   Shadow

Shadow

Extra

• 24 posts

Posted June 29 2007 - 05:18 AM

Cassy,

If you are going to use software that you already own, I would definitely advise you to try to get a laptop with XP rather than Vista. Initially, when Vista lauched, all vendors started to push Vista and it was hard to get XP from them, but after so many people started to have problems they started offering XP again. And, I think you are wise in not getting a large screen for your laptop. It is nice to be able to slip your laptop in a smallish briefcase with no problems and not have to break your back carrying it around.

As far as brands go, I like Lenovo. They inherited the Thinkpad line from IBM, which are still, to me, the best business laptops available, bar none. But, they also have a more consumer oriented line. This for example would be a good starting point that you can customize to your liking:

http://shop.lenovo.c....A074AEC15C3E7C

Personally, though, I do prefer their Thinkpad line.

http://shop.lenovo.c....8E19B36EC665A7

They are sturdy, lighter, and very good performers. Plus, you get much more customizing options. For example, on a laptop, I definitely recommend getting the most battery capacity you can get. I also recommend that you get as much RAM as you can afford.

So, I hope that helps. Posted Image

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   sestamuch

sestamuch

Stunt Coordinator

• 246 posts

Posted February 16 2009 - 03:22 AM

I was looking into how lenovo came from IBM, and I've read numerous reviews on the web that they're golden when it comes to laptops (desktops may be great as well I don't know).

#10 of 11 ONLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 15,199 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted February 18 2009 - 09:48 AM

As long as you're under warranty, Dell is great. I've been very happy with both my Dell computers, and I know my mother is happy with hers. After the warranty ends, follow-up support is spotty at best. I've serviced a lot of HP/Compaq laptops due to problems, and taking them apart has revealed some really shoddy construction (like components masking taped together where screws were supposed to be), but I've had nothing but good experiences with their phone support.

I prefer Intel processors to AMD processors, which also leans me towards Dell. Right now, with prices so competitive, you should be able to get a great laptop from any of the major manufacturers for $1,500.

If you take the Dell XPS M1530 for instance, add the Promise Pink color that supports breast cancer research, Core™ 2 Duo Processor T8100 (2.1GHz/800Mhz FSB, 3MB Cache), Vista Home Premium, Microsoft Works Suite, 15.4 inch glossy LCD screen (1920x1200 resolution), 3GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM memory, 320GB harddrive, Slot Load Blu -ray Disc (BD/DVD/CD read/write), and 128MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8400M GS video card for $1,504.

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   Jay H

Jay H

Producer

• 5,678 posts
  • LocationPittsfield, MA

Posted February 19 2009 - 01:27 AM

I bought my Acer from Newegg after researching online deals, I used the following website which was passed to me from a different forum..

dealnews.com: Find the best deals on computers, laptops, HDTV, iPods, and MP3 players

It seemed pretty good, it would highlight various online etailers and pick out deals and stuff.

Jay
You are the crispy noodle in the vegetarian salad of life

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users