What's new

Why are some of you in here? (1 Viewer)

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
:)

I honestly want to know.

I've always been more of a glass-half-empty kinda guy and I've got 100 times more optimism than some of you regarding the future of hi def film on disc. Virtually every thread regarding some new development is met with the kind of negativity and doubt that would make eeyore proud. I've said it before, but the most amazing thing to me throughout this deal is the level of impatience and gloom and doom fear-mongering.

What did you guys do before this? Did you get burned on something? Bought into a Yugo dealership? Worked on New Coke? Campainged for Mondale?

I just don't get it.

Adam_R

Second Unit
I am an optimist. I think the HD format(s) will be hugely successful in the next few years.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I'm here for Hi Def. I don't care what color it comes in, what format it comes in as long as it comes.

However, I can see why people are hesistant and posting their fears here about Hi Def. They've been burned by Divx, SACD, Betamax, etc etc etc. They have a right and privilege to cautious about jumping in.

Without the fanboys, the whole hi def portion on these forums would be a great place. As it stands, the fanboys are ruining it. They just can't keep their overzealous mouths shut.

Jason Roer

Supporting Actor
What Adam and Shane said, though I believe mass consumer adoption will take longer than just a couple years - more like 3 or 4.

Also - while there is fanboy nonsense, you also have posters that have actual knowledge and great retorts and there can be a lot of fun in these threads too - especially when remembering the good old days of Atari and Zork! And actually, come to think of it, some of the fanboy arguments have given me my biggest laughs! :)

Cheers,

Jason

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
I'm here for HD, but I'm tiring of getting wind of an upcoming HD software release only to have it yanked or denied the next (sometimes the same) day. So while I am happy as hell Sleeping Beauty is apparently on tap for BD in 2008, you'll excuse me if I don't dance a jig because tomorrow it could go the way of Badder Santa or the remainder of Fox's slate.

Again, I'm here for HD, but I'm starting to care what color it is not because I am in love with one format over another, but because I think HD optical media could be very successful, but only under a unified format.

I try desperately hard not to be a 'fan-boy'. I try not to 'stealth bomb' the forum with with one-sided stories and news blurbs that paint my choosen format in only a rose light. And when I bring up a negative I do so under the thinking that the studios do come here, and, if I complain, maybe its the best kind of complaining, which is the kind that gets things changed for the better.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Same here, Paul. There are only three type of posters on this site, Single Format Owners (could be Fan Boys), Dual Format Owners (who may still be Fan Boys), and those that did not have the balls to buy in one or the other (again, could be Fan Boys). If you have brought into these formats you certainly have every right to complain when the studios miss deadline, cancel releases, etc. Nothing wrong with that at all.

As far as what we may think the long term out come will be, well, I guess everyone will have their own opinion. I think what you find in most negative comments about the HD formats in general are not lack of optimism, but rather a little bit of reality fueled by some emotion.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
I think we complain more because we've paid a steep price for jumping in so early. I have both formats and it wasn't cheap. I was an early DVD adoptor as well, but only had to buy one machine back then (had NO interest in DIVX whatsoever). Luckily, I'm old enough to enjoy a little more disposable income than back when DVD came out and could upgrade the receiver for lossless audio, upgrade the projector, but it still allows me (I think) to complain a bit here and there.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
I'm here because I am interested in an HD format, but haven't jumped on the bandwagon because there is next to nothing I want to own on either format. I won't purchase HD/BD movies just because it looks prettier and sounds nicer.

I am 99.9% sure the HD format will remain a niche market, but I have no problem with that. Give me the movies I want!

ReggieW

Screenwriter
I agree with all of the above.

I do sometimes wonder if the HD-DVD group is serious about winning this war. I read Graffeo's statements regarding the BB announcement, and true to form, he dismissed it without realizing (at least publicly) that this is primarily a war of PERCEPTION. If consumers have no faith in a format they feel won't be around due to negative publicity, they simply won't support it, plain and simple. He can rant on about HDi, internet interactivity and stand-alone sales all he wants, but at the end of the day, no one will bite if the format APPEARS to be dying. I also happen to agree with BD supporters that most consumers find the stuff Graffeo always crows about as ho-hum. Has Universal taken any surveys from HD-DVD owners to see if they even care about this internet interactivity stuff?

I'm an early adopter, one who bought into HD-DVD, so yes, I am concerned about it's future. I know that many in the industy read our posts on the HTF, so I am just hoping that the HD-DVD backers are reading this and realizing the sheer disappointment we're feeling in the promotion/execution of their format.

So many balls have been dropped by them lately, that it's starting to become a bit depressing. For example, couldn't Universal have just released their Heroes S1 set as a combo only? Especially once you consider the high price of the set anyway, not to mention the shows Hd savy demographic. They could've tacked ten more dollars on to the price as a combo and most consumers wouldn't have even noticed!?! Paramount is highly rumored to be doing this for Star Trek: TOS S1 remastered, so if Paramount can LIKELY do this, why can't exclusive backer Universal?

Wake up Graffeo.

Bottom line: Sony and it's supporters don't appear to be afraid of taking big risks, and if Universal doesn't take bigger ones in the coming months, then 2008 could be HD-DVD's last.

I am slowly starting to see things Peter Arnette's way.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
I'm here because I'm a filmmaker and a film fan and I'm interested in seeing films in the best way possible......for a reasonable price of course. ;)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
I was trying to research that Dawbly Surround Me Sound™ I keep hearing so much about. It took me to a post by Tim Glover in another thread in this sub forum, and I just stuck around.
Like a bad fish odor I can't seem to leave.

Paul_Dunlop

Second Unit

This post confuses me - if you won't purchase it because it looks better and sounds better, then why are you interested in it?

I am here because I like to research my buying decisions online, prior to purchasing.
(this is in addition to store visits and listening/viewing sessions)

I have bought into HD DVD and want to make sure I have all my settings utilized properly, to achieve the best sound and video in my house.

I want to be aware of Tosh firmware updates, before the CD is shipped to me

I want to be able to know all sides of the story(ies) so that I can educate my friends when they come to me for advice

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Interesting thread Brett from the "Universal, We have a Problem" starter. :P :)

I am a glass 3/4 full. Always have been.

It's about enjoying these films in their highest resolution we've yet seen. Not about those who seem to view this :

I'm afraid this whole thing is going to be somewhat negative since ultimately, some side is gonna lose. The way I see it, each of us has already invested alot in our gear. Some of us have been doing this for a long time. It's what we do :D...No one's really going to be obselete. We'll just buy a BD player or an HD DVD player. Then load up on more movies. :)

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member

Haha... what I meant was I won't purchase movies I dont like (or care to own) simply because they look and sound better. The formats mean nothing to me if the content that I want isn't available on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks