What's new

John Ford at Fox: 21 disc set in December!!! (2007) (2 Viewers)

Corey

Screenwriter
Rumors that 20th Century-Fox Home Entertainment was planning a John Ford set have been rumbling through the community for months. I’ve just received confirmation from a Fox publicist that the rumors are not only true, but the project sounds bigger and better than I’d dared to hope.

Now set for release for December, 2007, the collection, to be titled “Ford at Fox,” will consists of 25 features that Ford made for Fox, including five silents, 18 of which will be new to DVD.

The box will list for $299.98 and also contain a new documentary on Ford by Nick Redman, a book of photographs featuring an essay by Joseph McBride and a reproduction of the program book for “The Iron Horse.”

The specific titles haven’t yet been released, but I’ll get them up here as soon as I have them.

Although the Fox promotional material says that the collection will include all of Ford’s extant Fox productions, this can’t be the case if only five silent films are included. The surviving silent Fox-Fords are, to the best of my knowledge, “Just Pals” (1920), “Action” (1921), “Cameo Kirby” (1923), 40 minutes of “North of Hudson Bay” (1923), “The Iron Horse” (1924), “Lightnin’” (1925), “Kentucky Pride” (1925), “The Shamrock Handicap” (1926), “3 Bad Men” (1926), most of “The Blue Eagle” (1926), three reels of “Mother Machree” (1928), “Four Sons” (1928), “Hangman’s House” (1928), and “Riley the Cop” (1928). Perhaps some of the Ford scholars who occasionally pass this way (that’s you, Scott Eyman) will know better.

But I’m hardly in a mood to complain if this means, at the very least, getting “3 Bad Men,” “Four Sons,” “Men without Women, “The Seas Beneath” and “Pilgrimage” back in circulation, there to claim their rightful places among the masterworks of Ford’s career.

Fox deserves the gratitude and, more to the point, the financial support of every cinephile for taking a chance on such artistically important but little known material. Who knows? If this one works, we might someday see “Murnau at Fox,” “Walsh at Fox,” “Dwan at Fox,” “Hawks at Fox,” and — who knows? — even the Holy Grail, “Borzage at Fox.

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot
That's reason enough to celebrate!
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

I applaud Fox's very audacious spirit in the classic film department. They must hold the record for releasing titles previously unavailable on home video.

Thank you for the great news, Corey!!!

Charles H

Screenwriter
Terrific news! The Ford Fox films already released are: WHAT PRICE GLORY?, MY DARLING CLEMENTINE, HOW GREEN WAS MY VALLEY, DRUMS ALONG THE MOHAWK, YOUNG MR. LINCOLN, THE GRAPES OF WRATH, and STEAMBOAT 'ROUND THE BEND. Well worth the multiple dips!

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor

Definitely -- they've still got some inconsistencies when it comes to transfer quality (all those "restoration comparisons" where the old VHS version looks the same or better), but in terms of selecting rare films and, especially, producing extra content, they're the best studio for classic film (since Warners mostly releases what are effectively bare-bones DVDs, filled out with some shorts from the vault).

Now let them find a way to bring out a few more never-on-DVD titles by the likes of Henry King, Lubitsch, Tashlin... (no, I'm never satisfied).

Corey

Screenwriter

Couldn't have said it better. Fox could work on some of their transfers, but Warners is getting stale with just adding a short, a cartoon, and calling it a day.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
this is truly awesome and inspiring news.

Perhaps a longer version of The Iron Horse perhaps.

Do we know if there will be special features like audio commentaries.

Any idea how long Redman's documentary will be ?

ted:r

Second Unit
I don't mean to sound like a cynic...and God, I hope I'm wrong...but this sounds more like a Kino/Criterion type story than a Fox who has yet to release "A Tree Grows In Brooklyn", "The Gunfighter", "Viva Zapata!", "Calvacade", etc...

I do very very very much want this story to be true...but in no way can I get my hopes up short of an official announcement. (BTW, whatever happened to "Boomerang"? Can Fox give us a straight form the...Fox's mouth on what the story is here?)

As for the WB dissing...I hardly think that's warranted or necessary. Render to Fox what is Fox's and to the WB's what is the WB's.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully Prisoner of Shark Island will be available seperately. I'd love to add it to my library, but at $300 I'll take a pass.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member

Per the above referenced blog:

Apparently a few “sub-sets” will be released, so you won’t have to buy “Grapes of Wrath” and “My Darling Clementine” over again. But $300 breaks down to less that the current cost of admission to “Pirates of the Caribbean III” for each film, which doesn’t seem like a bad deal to me.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

Agreed. There is no need for the WHV bashing. WHV does a great job with their releases and Fox has been doing a bang-up job as well with some of their stuff. There's no reason praise can't be allocated between both studios for jobs well done.

Jeff Newcomb - thanks for pointing out where this news came from. Having some attribution does lend credibility to it.

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
Wow, this is terrific. I've never seen any of Ford's silents and to get these in one fell-swoop like this is somethin' else. Definitely in the running for release of the year.

Agree as well. Man, seems just like yesterday when Warners could do no wrong...!

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
I would love to get this but I think the price tag is a bit too much...I will have to pass if that turns out to be the correct price.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well, let's not be hasty; what we know is that there will be a set, we've a fair idea of the titles, we think that Fox may be about to push the boat out and then some when it comes to extras and presentation - at least I hope that's what's being hinted at here.

Street price might be as low as $150-$175. Now if Fox were to sell each title individually with an SRP of $14.98, say around $8-$9 in stores they would probably sell and you'd think how cheap they were (and I'm talking few, if any extras, a la Drums Along The Mohawk), and the total cost wouldn't even come into it.

This sounds like a cinephile's dream; fingers crossed that what we're seeing already is only the tip of the iceberg...if it is I'll stump up, yell 'bravo Fox' and hope we get much more of the same.

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot

Agreed too.The DVD community owes a lot to the efforts of these 2 companies and Universal is turning out a very fine product too :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks