Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

New Home Theater Install

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   gr8-sales

gr8-sales

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted June 19 2007 - 05:54 AM

I moved to my house recently and need some assistance in installing a new home theater system. During the construction of the home, we had a professional come in and install all the wiring for a home theater surround sound system into the walls and ceilings of the house. Furthermore, we had him install additional wiring for a in wall/ceiling speakers stereo system, each room has independent volume control and all the wiring goes to the area where we plan to put all the stereo/surround sound components.

With that said, i am looking at a Harmon Kardon 435 7.1 receiver and polk audio in-wall speakers and in ceiling speaker? Any thoughts on these??

What do you recommend for a DVD player and subwoofer? What other components will I need to complete the setup of this whole theater/home stereo system.

Lastly, how do i locate the speaker wire in the walls. The installer ran all the wires along the studs and ceiling joists. In the spot where the speaker would be, he zig zagged the wires in the space between the studs/joists. I'm guessing he did that so it could be located with some sort of metal detector. If not, how do I locate the wires in the spot where the speaker will sit? Thanks for your help.

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   keithVANhorn

keithVANhorn

Stunt Coordinator

• 57 posts

Posted June 19 2007 - 07:25 AM

I would first recommend having everything installed for you by the person/persons who wired the house. They'll get it done in half the time you could and without any issues. Also, they'll be able to recommend appropriate speakers and such. Now, you could do it yourself, but you would have to buy some equipment to do it..... ie. stud sensors, toners, etc. Unless of course you already have the tools.
All highs.... all lows... it must be.....YUK!!!!

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   joseph westcott

joseph westcott

Second Unit

• 355 posts

Posted June 20 2007 - 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8-sales
I moved to my house recently and need some assistance in installing a new home theater system. During the construction of the home, we had a professional come in and install all the wiring for a home theater surround sound system into the walls and ceilings of the house. Furthermore, we had him install additional wiring for a in wall/ceiling speakers stereo system, each room has independent volume control and all the wiring goes to the area where we plan to put all the stereo/surround sound components.

Just call them up and ask them. They should be willing to help since you already paid them for the work.

Quote:
With that said, i am looking at a Harmon Kardon 435 7.1 receiver and polk audio in-wall speakers and in ceiling speaker? Any thoughts on these??.

Harman Kardon used to be my favorite AV receiver manufacturer and I had one for two decades but their recent units are experiencing a higher than normal failure rate. I would recommend a different manufacturer like the new Onkyo with lossless HD audio and HDMI 1.3a support. I am also not a big fan of in wall speakers. It really compromises the potential audio quality and limits placement. There is no substitute for a well designed and built speaker cabinet.

http://www.gspr.com/onkyo/txsr605.html

Quote:
What do you recommend for a DVD player and subwoofer? What other components will I need to complete the setup of this whole theater/home stereo system.

Here is a couple of links to help. One ranks DVD players and the other ranks subwoofers. Just find one as close to the top as you can afford. The Oppo Digital units are reasonably priced and offer great video performance.

http://www.hometheat....h&articles=all

http://home.comcast....er/Nousaine.htm

Quote:
Lastly, how do i locate the speaker wire in the walls. The installer ran all the wires along the studs and ceiling joists. In the spot where the speaker would be, he zig zagged the wires in the space between the studs/joists. I'm guessing he did that so it could be located with some sort of metal detector. If not, how do I locate the wires in the spot where the speaker will sit? Thanks for your help.

An inexpensive stud finder should work fine (get at the local home center). Your phone call to your builderelectrician should give you a pretty good idea where they are. A small hole and a coat hanger or fish tape should enable you to pull the wires through.

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   bassman99floyd

bassman99floyd

Stunt Coordinator

• 95 posts

Posted June 21 2007 - 12:56 AM

After you connect the speakers to the speaker wire, an easy way to tell which wire is which at the receiver end, is to take one of the unknown wires, and touch it to the posts of a 9v battery. This will create a static sound in the speaker, so you then will know which speaker wire is rear left, rear right, etc.
The Man

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   aviorlando

aviorlando

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted June 27 2011 - 08:42 AM

The best way to get a good recommendation on this is by reading blogs or asking a local home theater installation expert. These home theater experts will take a look at your house or home theater space and offer you the best home theater setup solution.

Back to Beginners, General Questions & HTiB (Home Theater in a Box)

Forum Nav Content I Follow