-

Photo

WHV Press Release: Cruising Deluxe Edition

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 of 17 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,931 posts

Posted June 18 2007 - 03:48 AM

CRUISING DELUXE EDITION
William Friedkin’s Landmark Film Finally Debuts on DVD September 18 -- Newly Remastered, with Revealing
New Featurettes and Director Commentary

Burbank, Calif., June 18, 2007 -- Cruising – the murder thriller that is set against the gay S & M subculture of the late ‘70s and prompted widespread community protests when it opened in 1980 – makes its long-awaited DVD debut September 18 as a Deluxe Edition DVD from Warner Home Video (WHV). Acknowledging years of consumer requests, Cruising will receive a limited theatrical release in New York, Los Angeles and San Francisco the first week of September, prior to its DVD release at $19.97 SRP.

Directed by Academy Award® winner William Friedkin (The French Connection) from his own screenplay adaptation of Gerald Walker’s novel, the film has as its magnetic centerpiece Academy Award®-winner Al Pacino’s (Scent of a Woman) performance as an undercover cop who infiltrates New York City’s leather bar scene, and whose identity and relationships are hauntingly affected by his assignment. Pacino, no stranger to tough cop roles (Heat, Serpico and Sea of Love), currently can be seen in Warner Bros.’ Oceans 13 and recently received an AFI Lifetime Achievement Award.

Cruising incited New York's gay community like nothing had since the rioting after the 1969 police raid on Greenwich Village’s Stonewall Inn. The incident became a watershed event for the gay civil rights movement.

The clashes during Cruising production centered around objections to the stereotyping of all gays. Friedkin never intended any lifestyle generalizations. “But that world did exist and I tried to portray it objectively without any moral comment,” the director says today. “Those murders happened [in real life], and it was always my intention to make a film, set in that milieu, that would be an unsettling experience and to ask the question when you look at someone, “Do you really know who they are?”

Notes Drew Fitzpatrick of fringeunderground.com, “Maybe now, with gay-themed movies and television shows permeating pop culture with a more or less even balance of characterizations, the time might finally be right for Cruising to wipe away 25 years of bad cultural karma and take its proper place in the oeuvre of one of America's most consistently challenging filmmakers.”

Perhaps so. Audiences were visibly stunned recently -- and gave the film two standing ovations -- at the end of a screening at this year’s Cannes Film Festival where Mr. Friedkin was part of the Directors’ Fortnight program. Traditionally, such reactions are only bestowed on first-time Festival screenings.

Mr. Friedkin has personally supervised the creation of an all new high-definition master and new 5.1 Dolby Digital audio track for the release with new director commentary. Also included are eminent documentarian Laurent Bouzerou’s two new featurettes containing interviews with actors and filmmakers who provide thorough perspective on the incidents surrounding the production. In addition to Friedkin and producer Jerry Weintraub (Oceans 11 series, Diner The Firm), participants include editor Bud Smith (The Exorcist, Flashdance, Ladder 49) , actors Don Scardino (now a top TV director) and James Remar (48 Hours, TV’s Sex in the City) and real-life cops Randy Jurgensen and Sonny Grosso.

Special Features

· Commentary by Director William Friedkin
· Soundtrack remastered in Dolby Digital 5.1
· 2 New Featurettes: The History of Cruising and Exorcising Cruising
· Original Theatrical trailer
· Languages: English & Español
· Subtitles: English, Français & Español (feature film only).

Note: All enhanced content listed above is subject to change.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 17 OFFLINE   Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter

• 1,481 posts

Posted June 18 2007 - 05:19 AM

Looks like a winner!

I was at the Cannes screening and the film was indeed very well received by the audience, a much larger and younger audience than I had expected to see at the film. Maybe they all knew that Quentin Tarantino would be there... Posted Image

#3 of 17 OFFLINE   Bradley Newton

Bradley Newton

Stunt Coordinator

• 92 posts

Posted June 18 2007 - 08:44 AM

AWESOME!
I can't wait.

#4 of 17 OFFLINE   Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,890 posts

Posted June 18 2007 - 09:56 AM

I've heard there was a longer, more explicit pre-release cut- will that be on the DVD?
Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#5 of 17 OFFLINE   Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR

Producer

• 3,596 posts

Posted June 18 2007 - 11:53 AM

I'd like to buy this, but I'll wait for reviews to see how censored it is. Posted Image
Cogito, Ergo Sum
My DVD Library / The BLOOD is the Life!
Pioneer Elite PRO PDP-111FD - 2/28/2009

#6 of 17 OFFLINE   Jon Martin

Jon Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,219 posts

Posted June 18 2007 - 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Ellis
I've heard there was a longer, more explicit pre-release cut- will that be on the DVD?

No. According to Friedkin in an interview he gave at Cannes, all that footage was thrown out.

#7 of 17 OFFLINE   Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter

• 1,481 posts

Posted June 18 2007 - 01:13 PM

Quote:
I'd like to buy this, but I'll wait for reviews to see how censored it is.

Jeff,

I can tell you from seeing the new HD master that is the basis for the new DVD, at Cannes, this cut is more explicit than any previous version that has been available.

The infamous hardcore inserts are still there, and, in addition, there is even more racy footage from inside the leather bars.

#8 of 17 OFFLINE   Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR

Producer

• 3,596 posts

Posted June 18 2007 - 01:29 PM

I am in no way Politically Correct. And I do not like censorship in Films. It looks like I should add this to my "To Buy" list.
Cogito, Ergo Sum
My DVD Library / The BLOOD is the Life!
Pioneer Elite PRO PDP-111FD - 2/28/2009

#9 of 17 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,006 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted June 18 2007 - 03:17 PM

Am I the only one who's disappointed that Warner didn't licence "The Cruising Gourmet" sketch from SCTV? I'll admit that it would probably be the antithesis of what this release is about, but it would add some historical context.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#10 of 17 OFFLINE   chas speed

chas speed

Second Unit

• 383 posts

Posted June 18 2007 - 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen_J_H
Am I the only one who's disappointed that Warner didn't licence "The Cruising Gourmet" sketch from SCTV? I'll admit that it would probably be the antithesis of what this release is about, but it would add some historical context.
I noticed that the Cruising Gourmet sketch had it's music altered for dvd. I wonder where they had sampled the music from? Notice Pacino is not coming anywhere near this release. Cruising is the one film that Pacino truly regrets. He said Friedkin changed the film in to something else. Karen Allen once commented that Cruising was the last film she agreed to do where she wasn't allowed to read the script.

#11 of 17 OFFLINE   walter o

walter o

Supporting Actor

• 847 posts

Posted June 18 2007 - 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas speed
I noticed that the Cruising Gourmet sketch had it's music altered for dvd. I wonder where they had sampled the music from?

the original music was sampled from Eagle's DISCO STRANGLER.

#12 of 17 OFFLINE   norrisMc

norrisMc

Stunt Coordinator

• 212 posts

Posted June 18 2007 - 10:30 PM

Pacino's female co-star Karen Allen (of "Raiders of the Lost Ark", "Starman" fame) HATED the film so much she asked for her name to be removed. She took the film off of her resume AND swore she would never do a film without reading the script again! I bet she doesn't turn up in the docs.
Norris

#13 of 17 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Lead Actor

• 9,893 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted June 19 2007 - 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen_J_H

I can't hear the titke "Crusin" without thinking of that sketch Posted Image Speaking of the sketch, it's prtty surprising it made it onto tv when you think of it.

I'll grab this in a heartbeat. I always wanted to check it out.

#14 of 17 OFFLINE   Jace_A

Jace_A

Second Unit

• 293 posts

Posted June 19 2007 - 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisMc
Pacino's female co-star Karen Allen (of "Raiders of the Lost Ark", "Starman" fame) HATED the film so much she asked for her name to be removed. She took the film off of her resume AND swore she would never do a film without reading the script again! I bet she doesn't turn up in the docs.

Pacino isn't mentioned as appearing in the documentary, either. In fact, I've never heard him talk about the film. Maybe this is his "Mommie Dearest".

#15 of 17 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,006 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted June 19 2007 - 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell G
I can't hear the title "Crusin" without thinking of that sketch Posted Image Speaking of the sketch, it's pretty surprising it made it onto tv when you think of it.
Dave Thomas said pretty much the same thing in his book on SCTV. He just found the film so repellent that he had to make a comedy sketch out of it. Apparently the sketch even made it into a "best of" special.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#16 of 17 OFFLINE   Corey

Corey

Screenwriter

• 1,412 posts

Posted June 19 2007 - 05:33 PM

can't wait to buy.
Corey's most wanted R1 dvds:

Little Darlings (1980), My Cousin Rachel (1952), The Deep Blue Sea (1955), The White Cliffs of Dover (1944), Born to Be Bad (1950), Ivy (1947), Reckless (1935), Springtime in the Rockies (1942), The Barretts of Wimpole Street

#17 of 17 OFFLINE   Jonathon M

Jonathon M

Stunt Coordinator

• 217 posts

Posted October 03 2007 - 06:20 PM

has anyone else got their copy yet? my one has some strange anomaly with the disc art - it seems to be scratched off around the outside of the disc, on the top half, just near the outer rim.

anyone else encountering this?

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow