-

Photo
- - - - -

Bad News on Parker Lewis Can't Lose

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 of 15 OFFLINE   Corey3rd

Corey3rd

Screenwriter

• 1,719 posts

Posted June 15 2007 - 05:22 PM

I just did an interview with Corin Nemec that's up at quickstopentertainment.com (Kevin Smith's website). I asked him about what's being done to get Parker Lewis Can't Lose on DVD:

“I was actually working with Shout! Factory to license the rights from Sony for the DVD set,” Corin said. Sony wasn’t willing to license the rights because the didn’t want to share the profit. My excitement was to be able to work with Shout! Factory and be hands on making the extras and be the actual guy to interview the producers, the writers and the cast members. We couldn’t get the nod from Sony so now we’re in a holding pattern.”

check out the rest of the interview
come see the reviews at
http://thedvdlounge.com/

and the Seinfeld Tour Bus

#2 of 15 OFFLINE   Venice-H

Venice-H

Agent

• 46 posts

Posted June 16 2007 - 03:38 AM

Thanks for sharing.

The good news is that Sony does seem to realize there would be a profit in bringing the show out of the vault. So maybe they'll do it themselves, sometime...

#3 of 15 OFFLINE   Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,889 posts

Posted June 16 2007 - 08:57 AM

What a shame! At least there IS an interest in the show, so maybe Sony should do something now!
Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#4 of 15 OFFLINE   chas speed

chas speed

Second Unit

• 382 posts

Posted June 16 2007 - 02:42 PM

I love Sony's attitude. Sony doesn't want to release it, but they don't want anybody else to do it either

#5 of 15 OFFLINE   Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre

Screenwriter

• 2,068 posts

Posted June 16 2007 - 05:06 PM

I always wonder how these people can take the steps to get the ball rolling on something like this when the companies they're dealing with simply have a no-licensing policy. It has to be a big frustrating annoyance all around.

Sony doesn't license their movies to companies like Criterion or Anchor Bay, that's a known fact so he should have known that it was a lost cause. Richard Linklater and Darren Aronofsky both expressed interest in working with Criterion to get two Warner Bros.-owned films ("Suburbia" and "The Fountain", respectively) released as part of the Criterion Collection but at least Linklater finally wised up and realized that like Sony, Warner Bros. simply has a corporate policy preventing licensing to outside companies.

Sure, Shout! Factory has a great track record with cultish shows but that doesn't mean they have access to every show that fits their sensibilities.
Don't you ever, EVER compare me to "Family Guy," you hear me Kyle? Compare me to "Family Guy" again and so help me, I will kill you where you stand!

Do you have any idea what it's like? Everywhere I go: "Hey Cartman you must like 'Family Guy,' right?" "Hey, your sense of humor reminds me of...

#6 of 15 OFFLINE   Corey3rd

Corey3rd

Screenwriter

• 1,719 posts

Posted June 16 2007 - 05:59 PM

It doesn't hurt to keep asking and annoying Sony. You never know when someone changes their policies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill GrandPre
I always wonder how these people can take the steps to get the ball rolling on something like this when the companies they're dealing with simply have a no-licensing policy. It has to be a big frustrating annoyance all around.

Sony doesn't license their movies to companies like Criterion or Anchor Bay, that's a known fact so he should have known that it was a lost cause. Richard Linklater and Darren Aronofsky both expressed interest in working with Criterion to get two Warner Bros.-owned films ("Suburbia" and "The Fountain", respectively) released as part of the Criterion Collection but at least Linklater finally wised up and realized that like Sony, Warner Bros. simply has a corporate policy preventing licensing to outside companies.

Sure, Shout! Factory has a great track record with cultish shows but that doesn't mean they have access to every show that fits their sensibilities.

come see the reviews at
http://thedvdlounge.com/

and the Seinfeld Tour Bus

#7 of 15 OFFLINE   BrandonJF

BrandonJF

Second Unit

• 436 posts

Posted June 17 2007 - 11:59 AM

Bram Stoker's Dracula was licensed to Criterion for a laserdisc edition.

A Few Good Men and A River Runs Through It had been announced, but never saw the light of day. But, they at least had seemed to entertain the notion of licensing titles back then.

#8 of 15 OFFLINE   Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre

Screenwriter

• 2,068 posts

Posted June 17 2007 - 04:28 PM

Quote:
Bram Stoker's Dracula was licensed to Criterion for a laserdisc edition.

A Few Good Men and A River Runs Through It had been announced, but never saw the light of day. But, they at least had seemed to entertain the notion of licensing titles back then.

Yeah, they weren't opposed to licensing during the laserdisc era but that's certainly no longer the case.
Don't you ever, EVER compare me to "Family Guy," you hear me Kyle? Compare me to "Family Guy" again and so help me, I will kill you where you stand!

Do you have any idea what it's like? Everywhere I go: "Hey Cartman you must like 'Family Guy,' right?" "Hey, your sense of humor reminds me of...

#9 of 15 OFFLINE   Bill>Moore

Bill>Moore

Second Unit

• 366 posts

Posted June 19 2007 - 03:22 PM

That's too bad, but it's not surprising.
Is Sony going to take it's ball, go home and never come out to play?

#10 of 15 OFFLINE   Jeff#

Jeff#

Screenwriter

• 1,942 posts

Posted June 19 2007 - 03:36 PM

Well, it seems that Parker Lewis can lose if he can't get a DVD release! Posted Image

#11 of 15 OFFLINE   JohnS

JohnS

Producer

• 4,503 posts

Posted September 13 2007 - 03:31 AM

Parker Lewis is my most wanted thing on DVD right now.
Especially if there are loads of extras, like trio commentary on each episode.

I'm just glad I have three seasons of it on DVD, which are old VHS TV copies, but at least I have them to keep me entertained until the DVD sets come out

Hopefully one day, when someone asks "Is Parker Lewis on DVD?"
the reply can be "Not a problem"

all-banner.jpg

#12 of 15 OFFLINE   JM Productions

JM Productions

Extra

• 22 posts

Posted September 13 2007 - 03:43 AM

I didn't like that show at all. It was too weird (in the Malcolm in the Middle mold). Parker was one of the more annoying characters, and it's amazing that Corin Nemec continues to work. I didn't care for him as Jonas Quinn on Stargate SG-1 either.

I will say that Melanie Chartoff (as Principal Musso) was certainly easy on the eyes back then, but other than her it's avoidable.

#13 of 15 OFFLINE   Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,889 posts

Posted September 13 2007 - 06:37 AM

Well JM, you're definitely in the minority here. It's amazing you even stayed with the show long enough to enjoy the charms of Ms. Chartoff! BTW, I'm also a Malcolm in the Middle fan- and don't get me started on Fox's failure to release the second and following seasons of it on DVD.....
Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#14 of 15 OFFLINE   JohnS

JohnS

Producer

• 4,503 posts

Posted September 13 2007 - 08:07 AM

I think my favorite episode is from Season 1 episode 11
Where the guys find the hidden radio station in the school and Parker Lewis tries to get Donna Sue

all-banner.jpg

#15 of 15 OFFLINE   chas speed

chas speed

Second Unit

• 382 posts

Posted September 14 2007 - 05:02 PM

All of my favorite episodes are from season 1. That was the one season they had that couldn't lose.

Forum Nav Content I Follow