What's new

The rest of Universals '07 slate...no Hitchcock? (1 Viewer)

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Bits just posted this:

Also today, our sources have given us a rundown of the latest expected street dates for the rest of Universal's planned catalog and new release HD-DVD titles through the end of 2007. Here's what to look for...

10/9 - Strangers, Seed of Chucky

10/23 - Inside Man, Carlito's Way, Carlito's Way: Rise to Power, White Noise

10/30 - Talk to Me

11/6 - Evan Almighty, About a Boy, Weird Science

11/13 - Pride and Prejudice

11/20 - I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry, Tremors, Family Man

12/11 - The Bourne Ultimatum, Mr. Bean's Holiday, The River Wild, Timecop

12/18 - Eastern Promises

12/26 - The Kingdom, Balls of Fury, American Pie: Unrated, Mobsters, Undercover Brother

I'm quite happy about Tremors and Timecop, a great bit of Van Damme cheese that I imported just to get in widescreen. But where is the Hitchcock? I was hoping we would at least get Psycho and/or Vertigo.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
I'm hoping that all this means is that the Hitchcock sets will just be a separate announcement. Or maybe they want to do a complete set and its just taking longer author that many HD DVDs.

Doug

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Universal told Adam a few months back that we would be getting some Hitchcock. I don't think this list is final, and that we will hopefully see better titles for the 4th quarter.......

at least we'd better, or most of my purchases will continue to be from Warner.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins

It's unfortunate. But considering the sales figures we saw for Casablanca and Adventures Of Robin Hood, it's easy to see why the studios aren't excited about releasing classic films in HD.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
The Hitchcock will probably be a separate announcement or promotion. I wonder if Universal with do something all at once with the entire collection.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Agreed!:) - Very exciting guilty pleasures.;)

Others I personally, really like:cool:, are "Hot Fuzz", "What Dreams May Come"-(The special effects in HD :emoji_thumbsup:), "Knocked Up", "Weird Science" and "The Bourne Ultimatum".

Paul

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
There will probably be more titles added. Bill Hunt's earlier report from a couple months ago did not have any August, and that month has been filled in since. Besides, CES promised Slap Shot, Brazil, Scarface, Lock Stock and 2 Smoking Barrels. I would hope Love Actually we be released by Christmas.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
HD-DVD will need a strong 4th quarter showing to counter the onslaught of blockbusters BD will likely be releasing. It does appear that both formats are dancing around releasing quality titles. Sales are just so low, that they probably feel the market is still far too small to release better titles (Mobsters & Family Man?! Ugh).

I'm thinking that Universal might split the Hitchcocks up in 3 or 4 collections like they did the first time they released them on SD-DVD.

Let's hope Bill Hunt's list is incomplete.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Ugh. So much for the theory that HD-DVD markets more towards the classic movie enthusiast. :frowning: Where's Psycho, Vertigo, Rear Window, The Birds, Uni Monsters, High Plains Drifter, Brazil, Blood Simple, Cape Fear, A Touch of Evil, Double Indemnity?!

Well Carlito's Way and Tremors are the only two from this list that I'll pick up (maybe Bourne depending on word of mouth) so I guess I should be grateful for those at least.

But seriously, this is it?! This is Universals killer Q4 lineup I've been hearing about for months?! Is this a joke?! Tell me Bill Hunt sabotaged this list and omitted some key titles. I can't believe Uni is holding back such heavy hitters like the Hitchcock's, Scarface, Conan, Brotherhood of the Wolf, etc at such a critical timeframe. Instead we get cinematic turds like Seed of Chucky, Carlito's Way: Rise to Power, White Noise, Mobsters, :eek: WTF?!

I guess I should be getting myself braced for disappointing Q4 lineups from the rest of these studios.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Really nothing there that I am getting excited over at all. Will get Tremors, but that's about it. But since this came from Bill, I don't expect it to be complete.

Norman Matthews

Second Unit
I'm assuming (and hoping) the release of The Bourne Ultimatum will also see the release of a box of all three.

Some titles I'll definitely be picking up in there. But nothing could possibly get me excited like Psycho would.

Finally, come on, Universal, there's still time to release Flash Gordon in HD!

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand

It is "The Rumor Mill" that Bill Hunt posted these "Universal planned catalog and New HD DVD release titles" in and as always, "The Rumor Mill" has the caveat that "this information should be considered unofficial until the titles and dates are announced by the studios."

Paul

ReggieW

Screenwriter
That's correct Paul.

The Bits does want us to take this with a grain of salt. The titles seem to resemble a 1st quarter Universal release schedule not a busy Holiday buying fourth quarter.

Well, I certainly hope this list isn't reflective of HD-DVD's 4th quarter. Honestly, what kind of marketing strategy is this? These "rumored" 4th quarter releases look like they're from the 1st or 2nd quarter when things are slow. It could be that Uni just won't be announcing their bigger titles until we get closer to the date.

Hopefully Adam can at least get confirmation from UNI that this list is only provisional and that the bigger titles are TBA. Honestly, this list contains no real must have catalog titles, imho.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks