Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The rest of Universals '07 slate...no Hitchcock?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
70 replies to this topic

#1 of 71 OFFLINE   Nick Graham

Nick Graham

Screenwriter

• 1,409 posts

Posted June 15 2007 - 09:48 AM

Bits just posted this:

Also today, our sources have given us a rundown of the latest expected street dates for the rest of Universal's planned catalog and new release HD-DVD titles through the end of 2007. Here's what to look for...

10/9 - Strangers, Seed of Chucky

10/23 - Inside Man, Carlito's Way, Carlito's Way: Rise to Power, White Noise

10/30 - Talk to Me

11/6 - Evan Almighty, About a Boy, Weird Science

11/13 - Pride and Prejudice

11/20 - I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry, Tremors, Family Man

12/11 - The Bourne Ultimatum, Mr. Bean's Holiday, The River Wild, Timecop

12/18 - Eastern Promises

12/26 - The Kingdom, Balls of Fury, American Pie: Unrated, Mobsters, Undercover Brother

I'm quite happy about Tremors and Timecop, a great bit of Van Damme cheese that I imported just to get in widescreen. But where is the Hitchcock? I was hoping we would at least get Psycho and/or Vertigo.

#2 of 71 OFFLINE   Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted June 15 2007 - 10:49 AM

I'm hoping that all this means is that the Hitchcock sets will just be a separate announcement. Or maybe they want to do a complete set and its just taking longer author that many HD DVDs.

Doug
"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#3 of 71 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted June 15 2007 - 10:54 AM

This is the inclusive list of rumored titles from 8/7 till the year's end:

Quote:
8/7 - Hot Fuzz

8/14 - Erin Brockovich, Meet the Fockers, Mercury Rising, What Dreams May Come

8/28 - Dawn of the Dead (2004), Heroes: The Complete First Season, The Hurricane, Notting Hill

9/18 - Battlestar Galactica: The Complete First Season, Elizabeth, For the Love of the Game, The Last Starfighter, Legend

9/25 - Cat People, Evening, The Getaway, Knocked Up, Patch Adams

10/9 - Strangers, Seed of Chucky

10/23 - Inside Man, Carlito's Way, Carlito's Way: Rise to Power, White Noise

10/30 - Talk to Me

11/6 - Evan Almighty, About a Boy, Weird Science

11/13 - Pride and Prejudice

11/20 - I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry, Tremors, Family Man

12/11 - The Bourne Ultimatum, Mr. Bean's Holiday, The River Wild, Timecop

12/18 - Eastern Promises

12/26 - The Kingdom, Balls of Fury, American Pie: Unrated, Mobsters, Undercover Brother

But still, there is no Hitchcock, no Conan, no Scarface. Perhaps this isn't the complete listing of their remaining HD DVD titles this year, but if it is, I am very disappointed.

Of the above, I would purchase: BSG, Legend, Carlito's Way, Weird Science, and The Bourne Ultimatum. I've decided not to blind-buy Heroes, and I will rent it instead.

Someone pointed out that these titles have been 'promised' as well, but honestly promised titles mean little in the SD world and they seem to mean even less in the HD one.

Quote:
Scarface, Lock Stock & 2 Smokin' Barrels, Slap Shot, Love Actually, Cat in the Hat, Deliver Us From Eva, Brazil, Mullholland Drive, Brotherhood of the Wolf, Gosford Park, 21 Grams, Cape Fear.

Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#4 of 71 OFFLINE   ReggieW

ReggieW

Screenwriter

• 1,574 posts

Posted June 15 2007 - 12:11 PM

Universal told Adam a few months back that we would be getting some Hitchcock. I don't think this list is final, and that we will hopefully see better titles for the 4th quarter.......

at least we'd better, or most of my purchases will continue to be from Warner.
More Harlow on DVD Now! - Red Dust, Bombshell, Hold Your Man, Saratoga, The Iron Man, Goldie, The Secret Six, Beast of the City, Three Wise Girls, Reckless, Personal Property, Riff-raff, Suzy & Girl from Missouri

#5 of 71 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,917 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted June 15 2007 - 12:17 PM

I'll see if I can dig up any info on hitchcock. It may take me a week or two...

#6 of 71 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,917 posts

Posted June 15 2007 - 12:19 PM

Last Starfighter, Legend, Undercover Brother, Time Cop, lots of good titles in there.

#7 of 71 OFFLINE   Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins

Screenwriter

• 1,765 posts

Posted June 15 2007 - 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Graham
I'm quite happy about Tremors and Timecop, a great bit of Van Damme cheese that I imported just to get in widescreen. But where is the Hitchcock? I was hoping we would at least get Psycho and/or Vertigo.

It's unfortunate. But considering the sales figures we saw for Casablanca and Adventures Of Robin Hood, it's easy to see why the studios aren't excited about releasing classic films in HD.

#8 of 71 OFFLINE   Ken Koc

Ken Koc

Supporting Actor

• 880 posts

Posted June 15 2007 - 12:27 PM

Where are the Classics???????
Ken

#9 of 71 OFFLINE   Bradley-E

Bradley-E

Screenwriter

• 1,019 posts

Posted June 15 2007 - 12:38 PM

The Hitchcock will probably be a separate announcement or promotion. I wonder if Universal with do something all at once with the entire collection.

#10 of 71 OFFLINE   Paul Hillenbrand

Paul Hillenbrand

Screenwriter

• 1,269 posts

Posted June 15 2007 - 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich
Last Starfighter, Legend, Undercover Brother, Time Cop, lots of good titles in there.
Agreed!Posted Image - Very exciting guilty pleasures.Posted Image

Others I personally, really likePosted Image, are "Hot Fuzz", "What Dreams May Come"-(The special effects in HD Posted Image), "Knocked Up", "Weird Science" and "The Bourne Ultimatum".

Paul
Avatar: "The Annunciation to the Shepherds" Painting by Nicolas Berchem (1680-1683)
BD 3D, BD, HD DVD, DVD collection

#11 of 71 OFFLINE   Bradley-E

Bradley-E

Screenwriter

• 1,019 posts

Posted June 15 2007 - 12:41 PM

There will probably be more titles added. Bill Hunt's earlier report from a couple months ago did not have any August, and that month has been filled in since. Besides, CES promised Slap Shot, Brazil, Scarface, Lock Stock and 2 Smoking Barrels. I would hope Love Actually we be released by Christmas.

#12 of 71 OFFLINE   Eric DiPiazza

Eric DiPiazza

Stunt Coordinator

• 174 posts

Posted June 15 2007 - 03:36 PM

That's a nice list, but when are we going to get United 93?

#13 of 71 OFFLINE   ReggieW

ReggieW

Screenwriter

• 1,574 posts

Posted June 15 2007 - 09:44 PM

HD-DVD will need a strong 4th quarter showing to counter the onslaught of blockbusters BD will likely be releasing. It does appear that both formats are dancing around releasing quality titles. Sales are just so low, that they probably feel the market is still far too small to release better titles (Mobsters & Family Man?! Ugh).

I'm thinking that Universal might split the Hitchcocks up in 3 or 4 collections like they did the first time they released them on SD-DVD.

Let's hope Bill Hunt's list is incomplete.
More Harlow on DVD Now! - Red Dust, Bombshell, Hold Your Man, Saratoga, The Iron Man, Goldie, The Secret Six, Beast of the City, Three Wise Girls, Reckless, Personal Property, Riff-raff, Suzy & Girl from Missouri

#14 of 71 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted June 16 2007 - 01:52 AM

Ugh. So much for the theory that HD-DVD markets more towards the classic movie enthusiast. Posted Image Where's Psycho, Vertigo, Rear Window, The Birds, Uni Monsters, High Plains Drifter, Brazil, Blood Simple, Cape Fear, A Touch of Evil, Double Indemnity?!

Well Carlito's Way and Tremors are the only two from this list that I'll pick up (maybe Bourne depending on word of mouth) so I guess I should be grateful for those at least.

But seriously, this is it?! This is Universals killer Q4 lineup I've been hearing about for months?! Is this a joke?! Tell me Bill Hunt sabotaged this list and omitted some key titles. I can't believe Uni is holding back such heavy hitters like the Hitchcock's, Scarface, Conan, Brotherhood of the Wolf, etc at such a critical timeframe. Instead we get cinematic turds like Seed of Chucky, Carlito's Way: Rise to Power, White Noise, Mobsters, Posted Image WTF?!

I guess I should be getting myself braced for disappointing Q4 lineups from the rest of these studios.

Death before Streaming!

#15 of 71 OFFLINE   Jordan_E

Jordan_E

Screenwriter

• 2,233 posts

Posted June 16 2007 - 02:43 AM

Really nothing there that I am getting excited over at all. Will get Tremors, but that's about it. But since this came from Bill, I don't expect it to be complete.
And you believe, at heart, everyone's a killer...

#16 of 71 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,917 posts

Posted June 16 2007 - 03:16 AM

I doubt it's a complete list (I haven't verified that yet), but at least they are releasing titles...

#17 of 71 OFFLINE   Norman Matthews

Norman Matthews

Second Unit

• 258 posts

Posted June 16 2007 - 03:34 AM

I'm assuming (and hoping) the release of The Bourne Ultimatum will also see the release of a box of all three.

Some titles I'll definitely be picking up in there. But nothing could possibly get me excited like Psycho would.

Finally, come on, Universal, there's still time to release Flash Gordon in HD!

#18 of 71 OFFLINE   Paul Hillenbrand

Paul Hillenbrand

Screenwriter

• 1,269 posts

Posted June 16 2007 - 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_K
Tell me Bill Hunt sabotaged this list and omitted some key titles. I can't believe Uni is holding back such heavy hitters like the Hitchcock's, Scarface, Conan, Brotherhood of the Wolf, etc at such a critical timeframe.

It is "The Rumor Mill" that Bill Hunt posted these "Universal planned catalog and New HD DVD release titles" in and as always, "The Rumor Mill" has the caveat that "this information should be considered unofficial until the titles and dates are announced by the studios."

Paul
Avatar: "The Annunciation to the Shepherds" Painting by Nicolas Berchem (1680-1683)
BD 3D, BD, HD DVD, DVD collection

#19 of 71 OFFLINE   ReggieW

ReggieW

Screenwriter

• 1,574 posts

Posted June 16 2007 - 05:51 AM

That's correct Paul.

The Bits does want us to take this with a grain of salt. The titles seem to resemble a 1st quarter Universal release schedule not a busy Holiday buying fourth quarter.

Well, I certainly hope this list isn't reflective of HD-DVD's 4th quarter. Honestly, what kind of marketing strategy is this? These "rumored" 4th quarter releases look like they're from the 1st or 2nd quarter when things are slow. It could be that Uni just won't be announcing their bigger titles until we get closer to the date.

Hopefully Adam can at least get confirmation from UNI that this list is only provisional and that the bigger titles are TBA. Honestly, this list contains no real must have catalog titles, imho.

#20 of 71 OFFLINE   JackKay

JackKay

Second Unit

• 461 posts

Posted June 16 2007 - 11:06 AM

Anyone heard if the Maltese Falcon is going to be released in HD
"I believe in censorship. After all, I made a fortune out of it." -Mae West

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow